+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Back to BlackBerry? Turncoats Upsetting iPhone Users

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via CNET Adam Richardson of CNET sounds like a lot of my closest friends these days. Unfortunately, Richardson and this growing band of iPhone malcontents are bouncing back to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Back to BlackBerry? Turncoats Upsetting iPhone Users

Image via CNET

Adam Richardson of CNET sounds like a lot of my closest friends these days.

Unfortunately, Richardson and this growing band of iPhone malcontents are bouncing back to the BlackBerry after flirting once more with Apple's iPhone. And the more I look around, the more I hear people entertaining the possibility of the switch. But why?

I am now a reverse switcher - I switched from a BlackBerry to an iPhone about six months ago, and now am switching back again. Why? Basically it comes down to the fact that the iPhone is really good at the stuff I do 10% of the time, but pretty poor at the stuff I do 90% of the time.
    The BlackBerry, of course, has a burgeoning reputation as the serious smartphone for the serious person. And it's incredible just how how many iPhone turncoats cite the same reason for the iPhone-to-BlackBerry reversal.

Typing is what I do more than anything else on the iPhone, and it's the thing that causes me the most frustration. It's my #1 reason for switching. If I could get on with the touchscreen, I would probably keep it.
    Naturally, iPhone's outside competition will target consumers looking for something different than what the iPhone offers. That much is clear. But what isn't clear is why so many iPhone lovers get defensive about the BalckBerry - particularly when the subject is broached that Apple may have to make the iPhone more "business friendly."

I'm clearly in the minority with my gripes. Most people seem to love their iPhones. Like I said, I'm not trying to bash the iPhone and say no-one else should like it; this is a very personal choice. But at least for the time being, the Bold is a much better match for my needs.
    The "needs" that Richardson and others speak of are not the "needs" that Apple primarily caters to. And at no time has
    Apple indicated the intention or willingness to change its core functionality or breezy components to better suit potential
    BlackBerry turncoats. My point? This town is big enough for more than one smart phone. So chill out.

The message boards of CNET and countless other tech-centric webpages have been growing increasingly volatile in tone against BlackBerry users. And it just doesn't make any sense. Our beloved Apple iPhone is neither going away or changing its fundamental characteristics. If anything, those who bicker with BlackBerry fans over the trivial and childish gripes that now fill the digital territory between these warring factions simply lend greater evidence that the iPhone and its users aren't "serious enough."

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote:
    I am now a reverse switcher - I switched from a BlackBerry to an iPhone about six months ago, and now am switching back again. Why? Basically it comes down to the fact that the iPhone is really good at the stuff I do 10% of the time, but pretty poor at the stuff I do 90% of the time.

Hmm.... I wonder what they were doing 90% of the time? I do pretty much everything with ease with the iphone. My only gripe; the battery. I had a couple blackberry's and they were so so. Without JB'ing though, I might still have one.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I see "a" point in this article but it seems as if the article was written just to take a shot at iPhone. At the time when you are reading it, and you think they are going to tell you the specific reasoning behind why the "said" people are making the change they vaguely just tell you that iPhone doesn't do enough of the "serious" things. What the hell are serious things? Also they mention the keyboard.
    I particualarly don't see how anyone that makes the effort to use the touch screen keyboard can't get use to it and grow to love it. It definately can't be any worse than trying to make the transition to a blackberry (i.e. for me i made the switch from a sidekick with full spaced out buttons so trying to go from that to the crammed buttons of a blackberry is way more drastic than the transition to the iphones pretty well laid out keyboard config, and at the turn of the phone landscape layout.

Can we get a true "specific complaint." iPhone has already provided support for exchange mail services.... Please again tell us the specific complaints!

iPhone'r
    "thuwun"
    iPhone'n Always
    32G iPhone 3GS 3.0
    ra1n rc1/rc2a JB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Other gripes, why my friends have left iPhone...

1. Insurance was the main reason, the broke their iPhones and there was no coverage on it to have it replaced. Not many people have the money to fork up for a new one if they had an accident.

2. Expensive Internet Plan, a lot of people dont want the $30/mo data plan, its a bit much.

3. BBM, this messaging platform is HUGE lately, and it leaves many people feel like they are missing out when once having it. I know to those of us who never had it, the feature seems no different from texting or using AIM, but every BB owner I know swears it is and is very attached to the feature.
    I would love to see a way for iPhone users to get in touch with people on BBM, I think you would see less people switching back to BB.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If typing is their big gripe, why didn't they try an iPhone at the Apple store for a few minutes? That would have let them know and they never would have switched in the first place.

They are right that it is a personal choice. Some like iPhone, some like BB, and some like the Pre. I think competition is healthy and forces all the companies to strive for a better device.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Thought I would add my two cents worth.... for what its worth or not.. LOL

My family members own Blackberry's and I hate to say this but you could not give me all the tea in China to buy one of those phones! I don't know what people see in them to be honest with you... all of those tiny buttons that I can't see, their phones dial people when they don't know it and the ringers are not that allow and hate the graphical part of them and.... and.... and......

Most of the time when we have comparisons money (the cost) always comes into play as well.... I will spend my money wisely in which I feel the iPhone is worth it more than the Blackberry....

When I hear the word Blackberry I think a PC or a Mac...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

robertdobert (09-15-2009), Superduperiphone (09-14-2009), tiravete (09-14-2009)

Thanks
    what is the serious stuff you can't do on iPhone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iphonefeakify, Here are my personal reasons for wanting to switch back.

1. Physical keyboard. I was assured I'd be a virtual keyboard master in a few weeks. Thank god this thing has inline spell checking.
    2. The only way I am able to obtain true push email from my own personal email account an domain is to buy a hosted exchange account. Not everyone wants to pay $99/yr for a me.com email or use yahoo. My Blackberry plan would push my personal email and any other type (gmail, yahoo, msn/hotmail/live) included with the data plan.
    3. The keyboard takes up half of the screen and you cannot see most of the form fields on a web page.
    4. Blackberry messenger. Or worked well and I could tell if message was delivered and read.
    5. MMS.
    6. Tethering
    7. True multitasking.
    8. Slacker radio was able to cache music on my microsd card.
    9. I never was told "just jailbreak it" to make the phone work better.
    10. The battery life is horrible. If the 3GS is supposed to have a better battery life than the 3G, I feel for those people.

The iPhone's web browser is great, has some great apps, nut I cannot even add attachments to emails I'm sending? Doesn't work well for me. I'm sure this is a gem for others. I wish had just bought a iPod touch instead for everything else I do on this device.

As you can probably tell, the keyboard and I so not work whole pushing over 10wpm.

I forgot that I used to be able to set my own tones for email, SMS, mms, bbm, etc. Not limited to selecting from a list of mms/SMS tones. I do not like that.
    Last edited by tavella; 09-14-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

i have had a Bold and a Curve 8900.... i still prefer the iPhone. i will admit the BB was a bit easier to setup for my multiple caldav calendars and emails addresses than the iPhone, BUT, once i set them up and sync with itunes, its all good.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

turning to a blackberry? really? If I had to jump ship, I would turn to the palm pre. As a phone (no hacks and no app store included in the argument) it is the best thing on the market right now.

the blackberrys are massive and past iterations were actually limited in their abilities.

Now add in Apple's App Store and the jailbreaking community and you have a rock solid #1 all-in-one device in the iPhone. There are some complaints about the iPhone above... but jailbreaking solves every single one of those problems. You may have to pay for a few of the fixes... but at least you get them.

The only thing that the iPhone does not do is multi-tasking. But actually, you can download "insomniac" and force the iPhone to download in the background.

In the end, I can understand the jump from iPhone to the Palm Pre... but definitely not the blackberry. Blackberrys are for people who want the appearance of having successful business career; they are not for those that want a serious phone.

If you're gonna jump ship go with the Palm.

tim

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Corporate user responding to "serious issues" question
    in reading this post so far, people are looking for "serious items". as a corporate user who has 3 different model blackberry's and an iPhone 3G - here are 'some' differences i have noticed:

1. Exchange ActiveSync is great, but when i get more than 200 emails in a day and the iPhone will only store 200 emails total, this poses a problem when looking for an email from yesterday. Especially when traveling. An 8gb device should be able to hold more than 200 emails.

2. iPhone is locked. A Calendar item pops up reminding me about an upcoming meeting in 2 hours (because thats the reminder someone put when creating the meeting), there is no way to "snooze" the meeting reminder. Unlock the device, reminder is gone.

3. Recent security hole confirmed by Apple where calendar items on Exchange will "vanish from the devices calendar but still remain on Exchange". Currently, even with OS 3.1, there is no fix for this.

4. Battery life. I charge my iPhone when the 20% warning appears, which is usually twice a day. All of my Blackberry's will get a day-and-a-half to nearly two days with the same amount of use. And before you ask, I dont spend all day playing games or having lightsaber battles with people on this thing.

Yes there are more, but these seem to be the biggest show stoppers for people like me. The iPhone is a toy designed for the consumer with some limited corporate functionality. The Blackberry is a corporate device with some 'toy' functionality.

Depending on who you are and your desired outcome for a device, all I can say is, "Choose wisely, and choose a device that fits you."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iphonefreakify View Post
    what is the serious stuff you can't do on iPhone?
    Type. I thought the article made that very clear. And I heartily agree. Even in landscape mode, using both thumbs it's hard to type fast.

There is no tactile-confirmation. On the iPhone you finger must float over the button, tap and release quickly. On a physical keyboard one has the ability to feel the key, confirm its presence under one's finger, and THEN press. This makes a physical keyboard far less susceptible to errors. There was a touchscreen with touch-confirmation (BB Storm?), and I was really excited about what that would mean for productivity. But then a dissection of the device was revealed and it's just a big button behind the screen. Dammit, I was hoping there were an array of sensors/ servos or something that gave one the sensation of a button. My daydreams were shattered.

Sometimes it strikes me in the strangest of times: I'll be sitting there playing with my iTouch and I'll suddenly snap out of my drooling over the screen and responsiveness of the hardware and my years of schooling as an industrial designer kick it. It's at these times I realize that a touch interface is extremely limited. I have to input ALL of my information with the very tip of my fingers. Sometimes I can use one of my large thumbs to scroll a screen or press an overly-large button, but most of the time I'm holding the device with one hand and using only one finger.

The iPhone/ iTouch is amazing. It's incredible. It's one of those revolutionary devices that everyone should at least try for a couple months before they judge, and afterward hold it as a standard of quality. But it's also just a glorified toy. The minimalist touch interface is fast and intuitive when it comes to certain applications, but typing will never, ever be fast and intuitive on a touch interface (rest assured companies are working to perfect tactile-touch screens -- the Holy of Holies).

It seems that some of you don't understand how important a physical keyboard is. It's EXTREMELY important, and it's more than enough reason NOT to use an iPhone as a business device. Those that marginalize such an important feature are either buying into some form of marketing propaganda, or simply don't understand basic ergonomics and human factors.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 09-14-2009 at 06:52 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

hotman (09-14-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post

If you're gonna jump ship go with the Palm.

tim
    i agree but.....
    you have to wait a few more months. as a iphone to pre back to iphone user, the pre is not ready for prime time yet. but, if Palm and Sprint can manage to stay in business, it will be a leader soon.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

There are pros and cons to all phones and their functionality in a personal manner. No matter what you do there is a device that suits YOU better than another. Bottom line. I dont personally care for BB menu navigation and the convoluted way the options are set up. Either way it is all a personal thing. It's good that people are switching, that will inspire some more development towards some of the features that the "business" people want, other than a physical keyboard (Mr. Rubenstein).
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Once again I am going to add my two pennyworth. I am not about to switch to a Blackberry but I will seriously consider switching to something when my contract runs out. All in all the iPhone is the best mobile I have ever owned. However, if Apple continues to refuse to implement the basic functions that most other mobiles have then I shall be left with no choice.

In particular I refer to the non existance of full function bluetooth whereupon I cannot transfer my contacts list to my car SATNAV headset and to this end not use the system as a full hands free unit as intended.

I purchased the iPhone basicaly for the purpose it was intended and not to sit playing games all day long. Thus if Apple were to pay more attention to basic needs first and then go on to whatever they like after that. The app store is 95% full of useless junk, the other 5% reasable but rarely a really usefull thing in sight.

If Apple decides to wake up from its comma then I shall remain happily with the iPhone and indeed upgrade as necessary in the future.
    Last edited by clive.weller; 09-14-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks

I always wanted a BlackBerry, but instead I bought my Iphone 3G. I'm an IT-technician and most of the people around me has BB. I'm telling you the Blackberry doesn't reach not even to the feet of what the Iphone can do.
    Blackberry is a serous Smart-phone, Who needs, a serous smart phone?
    I need a smart phone that can do everything I need it to do to help me with my work and with my happy life.
    What the Blackberry can; Mailing, AIM, hmmmmmmmm ... ooh and BB messenger.
    What the Iphone can; Mailing(to my personal exchange server no need to be hooked to a ISP BBserver) AIM, Gaming, Remote Desktop, Server the Real WEB not only Mobile, Music, ect ect and ooh .. Ect. Just think about it and I can garantee you the Iphone can do it.
    So serous people can keep the their Serous Blackberry, I will keep enjoying Life and Work ... With My Phone .. the Iphone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Who. Cares. ugh

So what? Really, who cares what device someone uses. It's their own choice. There isn't an over-all winner between the two because they serve their own functions respectively, and all the arguing about which is better just shows the limited IQ's people are running on. I have an iPhone. I love it. My best friend has a Blackberry. He loves it. Argue over which one is better? Dumb. If people at CNET have an opinion they wanna voice then let them do so. Everyone seems to be in the opinion forcing on the Internet anyway, so who gives a S. It's just annoying to even discuss something as trivial as this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I purchased my first Bold about 7-8 months ago, had it for like a month and then sold it for profit. After selling it I realized how much I actually loved the Bold and went on a hunt to find one(when I did I paid way to much for it but hey). Since then, I've purchased an extra one for a back up. Blackberry makes great & better phones IMO. The keyboard, the push email, and bbm is a beautiful thing. I recently switched to my iPhone after getting MMS to work on it(it only worked for 3 pics and started failing so I switched back). I purchased a 32 gig touch and just used it for Jaadu & other apps. My primary use for the iphone/itouch now is for Jaadu & to sell them for a profit. I will never part with blackberry again, until I get the touch pro 2 & Touch HD. I'm sorry but to make it just seems like Apple makes great media devices and that's about it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So from the looks of it depends if you are a corprate/businessmen or a regular joe when it comes to the iphone and the blackberry. Blackberry seems more for the businessmen then the average consumer, and the iphone are for those who want a great phone with wonderful features but not to corprate.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tavella View Post
    Here are my personal reasons for wanting to switch back.

2. The only way I am able to obtain true push email from my own personal email account an domain is to buy a hosted exchange account. Not everyone wants to pay $99/yr for a me.com email or use yahoo. My Blackberry plan would push my personal email and any other type (gmail, yahoo, msn/hotmail/live) included with the data plan.
    4. Blackberry messenger. Or worked well and I could tell ify message was delivered and read.
    5. MMS.
    6. Tethering
    2. Have you ever heard of yahoo? Free Push. Gmail and hotmail not so much, but you stated THE ONLY WAY. There is a way, just maybe not one you want.
    3. What happened to 3? Email Push such a problem it took up two numbers,lol?
    Rest are coming soon.

BTW who are these people who keep saying $30 for internet is expensive? When I had a blackjack or a htc wizard, I called AT&T to see about the cost of adding internet, they said it would be $50/month because it's a PDA plan. To me $30 seems like a deal...

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast