+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Back to BlackBerry? Turncoats Upsetting iPhone Users

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Melech518 I think its BS for anyone wanting to switch back to the CrapBerry. 90% of my friends of them and the other 10% have iPhones. Even
    iPhone? More like MyPhone RaginAsian55's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I think its BS for anyone wanting to switch back to the CrapBerry. 90% of my friends of them and the other 10% have iPhones. Even thought they all swear by their BB's, every single one of them at one point while I am with them asks me, "Can I use your iPhone for a second?". Makes you wonder doesn't it....

I find most of the people I know reasons for staying with BB is one reason, BBM or Black Berry Messenger. The majority say things to me like, "I just could never give it up." But the reality is all text messages appear to be in Instant messenger format on an iPhone. And if every one you know has an iPhone, it would be the same as BBM. They also all have 2 common complaints about their BB's. One is the web browser. The BB web browser does not support most websites and is not easy to navigate. However, the iPhone web browser is well like being on a computer. Second, the BB resets of crashes constantly erasing all of the users data. I have a friend who switched yesterday to iPhone after saying she could not deal with the constant crashes any longer. Yes, you can back up your BB, but how many people actually find a reason to sync their BB everyday. Now when you have an iPhone, you have a reason to sync up daily. Your iPhone is your iPod, Computer, Planner, Address Book, Gaming Center, etc.... 9 times out of ten when an iPhone crashes it is some fault of the users and not vice versa. But there is always a handy backup of all your info laying around. As iPhone users we are also privy to services suck as iDisk Mobile and Mobile Me. Our phones keep all of our information in sync even when we forget to do it ourselves, and also give us the feature of locating a lost phone that has Mobile Me enabled. Does a BB do that?

One last thing, What other company provides updates constantly for their devices that add features that most would have to buy a new phone to get? Yes I know BB has updates as well, but never as significant as iPhone software updates. So many iPhone users still have their 1st gen iPhones and even their 3G they bought in the first few days it was released, and are able to use almost all of the same features and functions as everyone else running 3.0, 3.0.1, or 3.1 on an iPhone. How many BB users still have the first BB every made and are able to use it with the same functionality of the Bold or the Curve?

I don't know how valid I find all these points. True, the BB internet browser is hard to use. That I agree with. The other points I'm not really sure about...
    1) I'm not really sure what "crashes" your talking about because I had a Pearl before and it never did that. If anything my iPhone has done a spontaneous reset on me twice whereas my BB never did- but it is unlocked and jailbroken. My BB was great! The one stick up on iPhone was the BB had time stamps on every message- the iPhone doesn't do that for me.
    2) The Mobile Me service is an extra cost and although it locates your iphone, you can pay for insurance on a BB and can't on an iPhone. So if you lose your iPhone you can get mobileme to try to retrieve your phone if you've paid the extra money every year, but the BB can equally be replaced if you pay for the insurance.
    3) Syncing is up to the user. Although there are more reasons/occassions to sync your iPhone it can also be tedious to HAVE to hook it up to a computer every time. BB users only need to sync when they need to backup their newest files. Less reasons, but also less necessary.
    5) The OS isn't really fair. A lot of the software updates are including things that BBs already have- picture messaging, bluetooth headset calling, copy and paste, video recording..... so they don't send out all those updates just because they don't have as much of the necessity.
    4) BB has been around for a lot longer than the iPhone. Let's see how many 2g users there are another 2-3 years from now. Especially since the batteries aren't replaceable I've already heard of a lot of 2g phones falling apart. It's either charging ports or bad battery life or a broken screen that costs $200 to fix. The 3G/3GS costs around $65 to replace, which is still expensive just to get a working screen, but the 2g costs a whopping $170. BBs, as I've seen, can have a huge (annoying) line down the middle but the screen works perfect! They're definitely more durable in my opinion.

All in all, I enjoy your enthusiasm for the iPhone but I feel it may be a bit on the wayside. No need to bash the BB lovers out there, they just have different needs and therefore go to a different phone. :-)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Type. I thought the article made that very clear. And I heartily agree. Even in landscape mode, using both thumbs it's hard to type fast.

There is no tactile-confirmation. On the iPhone you finger must float over the button, tap and release quickly. On a physical keyboard one has the ability to feel the key, confirm its presence under one's finger, and THEN press. This makes a physical keyboard far less susceptible to errors. There was a touchscreen with touch-confirmation (BB Storm?), and I was really excited about what that would mean for productivity. But then a dissection of the device was revealed and it's just a big button behind the screen. Dammit, I was hoping there were an array of sensors/ servos or something that gave one the sensation of a button. My daydreams were shattered.

Sometimes it strikes me in the strangest of times: I'll be sitting there playing with my iTouch and I'll suddenly snap out of my drooling over the screen and responsiveness of the hardware and my years of schooling as an industrial designer kick it. It's at these times I realize that a touch interface is extremely limited. I have to input ALL of my information with the very tip of my fingers. Sometimes I can use one of my large thumbs to scroll a screen or press an overly-large button, but most of the time I'm holding the device with one hand and using only one finger.

The iPhone/ iTouch is amazing. It's incredible. It's one of those revolutionary devices that everyone should at least try for a couple months before they judge, and afterward hold it as a standard of quality. But it's also just a glorified toy. The minimalist touch interface is fast and intuitive when it comes to certain applications, but typing will never, ever be fast and intuitive on a touch interface (rest assured companies are working to perfect tactile-touch screens -- the Holy of Holies).

It seems that some of you don't understand how important a physical keyboard is. It's EXTREMELY important, and it's more than enough reason NOT to use an iPhone as a business device. Those that marginalize such an important feature are either buying into some form of marketing propaganda, or simply don't understand basic ergonomics and human factors.

Pretty pathetic if you actually need to "feel" a button in order to use a device. Don't you have eyes to see the button? Can't you see what you type? Oh, Im not buying into a marketing propaganda and I do understand basic ergonomics.... I'm just not a tard.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I will respond to each of these in red...

Quote Originally Posted by RaginAsian55 View Post
    I don't know how valid I find all these points. True, the BB internet browser is hard to use. That I agree with. The other points I'm not really sure about...
    1) I'm not really sure what "crashes" your talking about because I had a Pearl before and it never did that. If anything my iPhone has done a spontaneous reset on me twice whereas my BB never did- The BB will get overloaded with data and spontaneously delete all of your info. It is the main reason I and many others I know gave up on BB and switched to iPhone.
    2) The Mobile Me service is an extra cost and although it locates your iphone, you can pay for insurance on a BB and can't on an iPhone. So if you lose your iPhone you can get mobileme to try to retrieve your phone if you've paid the extra money every year, but the BB can equally be replaced if you pay for the insurance. Insurance for a lost phone varies by carrier. Not all of this option. Most companies will insure manufactures defects and mail you a replacement phone if anything goes wrong. Apple will do the same with an appointment ot the genius bar
    3) Syncing is up to the user. Although there are more reasons/occassions to sync your iPhone it can also be tedious to HAVE to hook it up to a computer every time. BB users only need to sync when they need to backup their newest files. Less reasons, but also less necessary.That was my point exactly. BB users find it "less necessary" to sync their phones hence if anything DOES happen to their BB they have lost all of their info since their last sync. Where as if you have an iPhone you are constantly syncing and if you have MobileMe, well everything is always in sync
    5) The OS isn't really fair. A lot of the software updates are including things that BBs already have- picture messaging, bluetooth headset calling, copy and paste, video recording..... so they don't send out all those updates just because they don't have as much of the necessity. Only the 3.0 software added the features you speak of. All of the other updates something different. Apple does the same with ALL of their products. Look at computers for instance. With a $29 update dvd, a mac users on a 5 year old machine can have the newest software available that comes standard on a brand new Mac.
    4) BB has been around for a lot longer than the iPhone. Let's see how many 2g users there are another 2-3 years from now. Especially since the batteries aren't replaceable I've already heard of a lot of 2g phones falling apart. It's either charging ports or bad battery life or a broken screen that costs $200 to fix. The 3G/3GS costs around $65 to replace, which is still expensive just to get a working screen, but the 2g costs a whopping $170. BBs, as I've seen, can have a huge (annoying) line down the middle but the screen works perfect! They're definitely more durable in my opinion.I own an big iPhone Repair company so I will touch on these remarks. If the LCD or Digitizer break on an iPhone it is because of the way the user treats the phone 9.5 times out of 10. Batteries ARE replaceable on an iPhone 2G, it just takes someone with a soldering iron to do. A broken display on a 2G IS expensive to repair, but here is why. The Digitizer and LCD are fused together. We charge $150 to replace it on a 2G. This is the same exact cost to replace a broken digitizer and LCD on a 3G, $75 for the digitizer and $75 for the LCD. But again, we are dealing with more than just a cellphone when owning an iPhone. It is a sensitive piece of equipment and it is up to the owner to protect it and take good care of it. A BB is well, just a cellphone in the end...

All in all, I enjoy your enthusiasm for the iPhone but I feel it may be a bit on the wayside. No need to bash the BB lovers out there, they just have different needs and therefore go to a different phone. :-)
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

After reading Melech518's response to RaginAsian, I have the following questions (never owning a Blackberry, just curious):

1. How many Blackberry phone versions were needed to be purchased in order to obtain the lastest software and abilities promised by the manufacturer?

2. How much does a battery swap cost on a Blackberry vs iPhone? And, how long are you without the iPhone to have it "soldered" vs changing the battery on Blackberry?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jayson9 View Post
    After reading Melech518's response to RaginAsian, I have the following questions (never owning a Blackberry, just curious):

1. How many Blackberry phone versions were needed to be purchased in order to obtain the lastest software and abilities promised by the manufacturer?

2. How much does a battery swap cost on a Blackberry vs iPhone? And, how long are you without the iPhone to have it "soldered" vs changing the battery on Blackberry?
    Answers:
    1. For added features and new UI's a new phone must be purchased every time BB changes the model of phone.

2. Battery swap for iPhone 2G= $50
    OEM Battery replacement for BB Bold=$49.99

Quote Originally Posted by cots69 View Post
    This is the key reason for me to stick with my iPhone. I am still using my first generation 2G phone and continue to update consistently.
    But really,we are comparing apple(s) and oranges...personal preference/diversity.
    Can't we all just get along...LOL
    Wow...you have been here since the beginning and I got the first post out of you! Keep the comments coming
    Last edited by Melech518; 09-15-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

My BF has the Storm (which sucks)
    and my friend has a Bold (which.. I must admit is pretty nice).

Blackberries and iPhones are both better in their own ways.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozdude View Post
    Could you be any more narrow in your perception. I'm a PC head through and through but I can see the functionality of the iPhone through and through. I tried going over to CE on both the LG Omnia and HTC Touch HD. I got rid of both after a week and kept using my iPhone. I've also toyed with several 'Hackintosh' PC installs and had a bit of fun there, but I personally keep finding don't have need to operate in Leopard over Win 7.
    Am the same as you. However Just read the Original post not the replies.

The author of this post Just sound "Elites". Like we know better then the rest.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teoyaomqui View Post
    Am the same as you. However Just read the Original post not the replies.

The author of this post Just sound "Elites". Like we know better then the rest.
    I dunno, I've read far more 'Elitist' p.o.v. type stuff than this this. It very hard to overlay a traditional Mac/PC, who is more elite argument over phone vs phone topic just because the main phones in question is made by Apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote from Melech518:
    "Wow...you have been here since the beginning and I got the first post out of you! Keep the comments coming"

I like to observe and am very grateful for all the news that both the site and the members provide.
    This issue is one that I am hearing debated all the time, even here in Thailand, so I just wanted to add my two cents.
    Thanks to all for some really great insights on both sides of the tape.
    Last edited by cots69; 09-16-2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote when adding a comment

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just posting here to say that mobiletypingtest.com seems to prove that the iPhone is the fastest phone out there for typing. Sure nothing beats a good old fashioned keyboard but once you've been using your iPhone for a while, the auto correct feature will fix most errors. I for one will stick with my iPhone based upon it's sheer ease of use, and overall functionality.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I switched from the blackberry about 2 years ago and would never go back. I was typing email responses on my way to work on the train and found the blackberry keyboard so darn awlful. I was ok with short emails but lengthy ones with explainations were totally impossible.

I don't have this problem with the iphone i just type away.

The other issue was the cost and darn effort just to setup blackberry to an exchnage server, it was god damn awlful, took forever and you couldn't put the software on the same exchnage server.

with the iphone you put in a few entries and an ip and away you go - took seconds and no damn software

I wanted to listen to music and wanted to watch videos and didn't want to have to keep getting the ipod out

Thank you Apple

Thanks

the forensics guy is right. stray data--texts, ect--has survived five three fw upgrades, five re-jailbreaks, and about 12-15 hrs of daily usage for over a year. i see the stuff right in my files. also, i restored and rejailbroke on someone else's pc once and some of their contacts (they had iphone too) ended up on my phone. really odd. and around 700 photos i took over the winter and deleted (i thought) uploaded nicely to my new macbook, again, after a the deletion, a fw update, a jailbreak, and setting up as new phone. even got a new itunes account w new pass!had to use ifile to manually delete the folders.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tv_21 View Post
    I switched from the blackberry about 2 years ago and would never go back. I was typing email responses on my way to work on the train and found the blackberry keyboard so darn awlful. I was ok with short emails but lengthy ones with explainations were totally impossible.

I don't have this problem with the iphone i just type away.

The other issue was the cost and darn effort just to setup blackberry to an exchnage server, it was god damn awlful, took forever and you couldn't put the software on the same exchnage server.

with the iphone you put in a few entries and an ip and away you go - took seconds and no damn software

I wanted to listen to music and wanted to watch videos and didn't want to have to keep getting the ipod out

Thank you Apple
    You hit the nail on the head right there. I have always said to blackberry users and others, that aside from not really being a slave to email, I quite often need to write a lengthy reply and there is no way I'd even try to attempt that on a BB chicklet keyboard like that. By comparison I've been really impressed how quick the iPhone is and how well the predictive text function works when your typing at speed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The best phone is the one that suites your needs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Thought I would add my two cents worth.... for what its worth or not.. LOL

My family members own Blackberry's and I hate to say this but you could not give me all the tea in China to buy one of those phones! I don't know what people see in them to be honest with you... all of those tiny buttons that I can't see, their phones dial people when they don't know it and the ringers are not that allow and hate the graphical part of them and.... and.... and......

Most of the time when we have comparisons money (the cost) always comes into play as well.... I will spend my money wisely in which I feel the iPhone is worth it more than the Blackberry....

When I hear the word Blackberry I think a PC or a Mac...
    i completely and wholeheartedly agree

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

its the best all touch keyboard yet its not perfect if I did a lot of typing it prob wouldn't work but my fingers cant work a bb either so I will keep my iPhone

+ Reply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345