+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: whither the GPS bug?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Users on Apple support forums are still complaining about loss of GPS functionality after upgrading to the 3.0 firmware release. As TUAW notes , some users are getting their iPhones
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default whither the GPS bug?

Users on Apple support forums are still complaining about loss of GPS functionality after upgrading to the 3.0 firmware release.

As TUAW notes, some users are getting their iPhones replaced, even though Apple is not acknowledging that a bug exists. Some people have had success after rebooting their phone, or disabling 3G. And there have been reports that the problem went away after upgrading to 3.1 firmware.

So a problem that may or may not exist can either be fixed with rebooting your iPhone, turning off 3G, replacing it with a new phone, or upgrading.

I'm curious if any members out there have experienced problems with their GPS function, and how or whether they fixed it if so. I have noticed my blue dot creeping around of late, which reminds me more of my old Brickberry's cell triangulation than true GPS. But I'm not a heavy user of Maps.

What are your experiences?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,699 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post

So a problem that may or may not exist can either be fixed with rebooting your iPhone, turning off 3G, replacing it with a new phone, or upgrading.
    ^So that pretty much covers it...............hilarious^

running 3.0 have not experienced any problems at all,

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

phil15_92 (09-12-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Takes forever to lock on sometimes and is sometimes a little inaccurate. But most of the time it's fine.

-3GS
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well I didn't know this was a problem others shared. I use maps all the time and I agree it felt the same as on my first gen using triangulation but I thought that's just how the new gps was thinking it wasn't really a true gps. Whatever it's close enough for me most of the time that it's not really a big deal to turn the phone in over. It did throw me off walking around the streets of San Francisco trying to use maps with gps and compass and it showed me walking in the opposite direction for about a block until it would refresh to the correct location. It wasn't constant but happened occasionally.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just yesterday cruising around with TomTom app. GPS wouldnt even pick up a signal... restarted phone and used Sygic and the GPS was running smoothly, sometimes the signals are really bad and have no correct directioins but you cant expect the BEST from an iPhone over an actual GPS device, is that right?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

never had any problems with 3gs on 3.0

Thanks

First of all Im in Puerto Rico, and GPS have never been awesome here, but right now Im on 3.0.1, iPhone 3G JB and its very acurate, the blue dot is in my neighbours house, Im guessing thats good enough.

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol i had the same problem the little arrow was in the next street though.... and it was set to my home as my location lol

Thanks

I use my 3G[S] all the time for map applications and such because my g/f and I geocache using it. I usually see it say an accuracy of like 56 ft when I'm outside which is pretty good considering the limitations of civilian GPS and military GPS. I don't recall the exact limitation, but I want to say like 20-30 ft was the best we were allowed with any device. My g/f has a 3G and she doesn't have problems either. She uses maps
    a bit because she gets lost alot lol.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Ehhh I hardly ever have had GPS work on my 3GS. It worked great on my first gen though. You guys think I could get them to swap it out? I just thought it was jailbreak related. Now that I realize it is widespread I might take it up to an Apple Store. Sometime.... I have two but they are both four hours away.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

funny, it works in my home town ok, not great but ok. then i went down to sacramento, and i couldnt get a GPS signal at all. it just kept looking, no dot at all...
    If i helped you, clicking thanks would be nice

Thanks

mine works perfectly 3.1 3G never had a problem.

Thanks

Had the problem on my 3G. Had it replaced under warranty.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have the same problem, unfortunately when i took it into apple, it was 10 days over warranty , so im still stuck with it

Green Apple
    Thanks

My iPhone 3GS and my wife's 3G (my old phone) both are the worst GPS devices ive ever seen. With TomTom i can only get a poor signal that locates me within about 25-30 miles of my actual location, then doesnt move me at all for 10-15 minutes at a time.

When using google maps, sometimes i get a good lock on where im at but it never lasts long, and for the most part, it shows me very very very far from my actual location.

Before 3.0 when I had my 3G, the GPS was working fine, then I installed the 3.0GM before it was released and have been having issues ever since. Even with my brand new 3GS, that was one of the first things i did when i got back to my car from the AT&T store, i turned on google maps to check the compass and i showed me miles and miles away from my actual location, with a HUGE range of error.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PMad For This Useful Post:

Jarmal1984 (09-13-2009)

Thanks

when I got the 3GS with 3.0 I noticed a loss in functionality in GPS. I deliver pizzas sometimes at my pizzeria so I am a heavy maps.app user. Not that I need the GPS blip, but it helps a lot.

I'm jailbroken though, and don't want to update yet..
    "The Force shall free me."

Thanks

iphone 3G 3.0.1 jaELBRWakET....alls well GPS ....had a few issues on 2.2.1...unsure why yall havin issues now?....
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah me and my friends are experiencing that problem on our jailbroken/unlocked iphone 3g. we all used the same software to unlock and jailbreak the 3.0 software so prob thats why? All of our gps would not lock on.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

So... I am not understanding how this pic has any relevance.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Living in Greece where everything has an error margin the only GPS difference I found upgrading from 2.2.1 to 3.0 on my iPhone (3G) is that when in my house it shows my location two blocks away. However on 2.2.1 I didn't even get a signal inside...

TomTom reception is bad (only one I tried) but Apple Maps give extremely accurate position (slightly better I guess from 2.2.1) and xGPS has been a lifesaver.

There are many factors in GPS signal reception but I think OS 3.0 isn't one of them...
    Last edited by keysloser; 09-13-2009 at 01:20 AM.