+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: whither the GPS bug?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Things defiantly got worse with 3.0 but do seem better with 3.1 If anyone has a blue circle round the blue dot, that means it is using triangulation and does
    Thanks

Things defiantly got worse with 3.0 but do seem better with 3.1

If anyone has a blue circle round the blue dot, that means it is using triangulation and does not have a GPS fix. For a first fix you should go outside with a clear view of the sky and wait - a first fix can easily take 10 minutes or more.

Turning 3G off for a first fix helps but it should be turned on after getting the fix otherwise SatNav programs will not be able to get a fix when moving.

The GPS in the iPhone is definitely one of the worst in any phone - it has to be queried rather than supplying a stream of info and does not provide basic nmea data such as the number of satellites found, let alone the strength of signal.

As for why the picture of Wally is relevant? How are you supposed to find him without GPS?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I pre-ordered my 3GS. The day I got it GPS would not work at all. The compass app has a gray location icon (bottom left). Google maps gave an error that it could not locate me.
    I restored it & went straight to compass & then maps. It fixed it so I thought. All seemed fine until I bought Navigon. Had to do another restore to get it back. It has happened 2 more times since. If it happens again I'll leave it alone, until I know the jailbreak status of 3.1
    It will suck to have to exchange my phone & not be able to jailbreak.
    When it is working it is very accurate.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I occasionally have it off a bit, or across the street, but this only tends to happen when I'm not under open sky. Whenever I have open sky it's pretty accurate and moves well with me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm in Quebec City, Canada. When I'm inside my house it shows in Maps that I'm a street away, but it always been right on target when I'm outside, nothing changed with firmware updates.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

The only GPS/Compass related problem i have had is not with maps or XGPS but with the "monocle" easter egg in Yelp. It has repeatedly been 180 degrees off where it should be...

3G[S] x 2
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

When I first got my 3G, I had to use one of those generic brand piggyback SIMs. My GPS never worked for some reason. Once I got a RebelSIM to replace the generic one, magically it just started working again. I now use ultrasn0w and haven't had any problems.

Thanks

mine seems ok only it not nearly accurate as it once was, if i was at work it would show me about 1/4 mile away from where i actually was but when driving it goes a little smoother. once a JB is released and i upgrade ill have to see if it gets any better or worse!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Funny this would come up just as I've installed Navigon
    I never before tried GPS seriously, but yesterday, the first time I ran Navigon it did loose GPS connection, even though I was driving on a motorway...
    I hope it was just a fluke, but knowing my luck with these things...
    Needs further testing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Miro89's Avatar
    Thanks

i am running 3.0.1 on iPhone 3G and the gps sometimes responds and sometimes not so i am waiting for 3.1 jailbreak

Thanks
    When I use the Maps App and GPS, it sometimes goes off track and spazs but besides that its been working pretty well for me

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I had huge problems in Charleston SC today trying to use GPS. It would give me the 5 mile radius circle and refuse to get any closer. Respringing helped but only for the initial lock, it wouldn't update after that. 3G on or off made no difference. Works back in Beaufort SC though. Even being indoors it gets damn close.

Thanks

If it has a radius circle it hasn't got a lock. What do you mean?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

I had problems with my GPS on 3.0 but they do seem to be gone with 3.1
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had a gps problem after upgrading to 3.0 and after a few days and resetting it about 10 times it finally picked up on the signal. the map was saying i was in michigan and i live in oklahoma. nowhere close to me. but it works now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone one_crazy_dude's Avatar
    Thanks

i have the same problem.before 3.0 update my gps was with in a 5 foot radious of me all the time,even inside my house.now for get it. once in a while get a gps lock and i have noticed also the same day i updated my 3g internet isent working all the time either.i have to use edge when i'am not home and thank god i have wifi at home.i have tried every thing i have read here and other forums but no good.but before the update everything was a O.K.

Thanks
    Mine definitely doesn’t work , and it is pissing me off, since update to 3.0 just refusing to start GPS (easy to notice on maps.app circle does not have small lines on 90;180;270 and 360 degrees - looks like a target) I've tried everything, no luck especially when you paying £59 for Tom-tom and it does not work ->
    in TOMTOM symbian there was satellite monitoring tool, that was showing how many sats locked and how many still to lock, signal etc. it would be so nice to have similar tool on iPhone (so far I didn't find any).

Thanks

As I said before, the GPS receiver in the iPhone does not provide thatb information.

Thanks
    Just thinking logicaly hoe upgraded baseband can screw up GPS? and why downgrading baseband does not fix it, if it is soft problem then doungrade should fix it, if it is hard problem why Apple keeps it quet?

Thanks

As you can't downgrade the BB that is not an option.

Thanks
    2 Confucious: did you hav any problems with your GPS before? yours OS is 3.1 + Ultrasn0wed ->>> HOW?