Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
09-12-2009, 09:46 AM #1
iPhone OS 3.1 - All you need to know
<iframe src="http://www.zumodrive.com/photo/embed/Yk2OTQ3Mz" width="450" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe>
It's been quite a while since Apple released the OS 3.1 for iPhone and there's been a lot of confusion regarding it's Jailbreak Status etc. Therefore, here's a summary of do's and dont's
- According to ChronicDev, the 3.1 GM seed is still vulnerable.
- It has been confirmed by MuscleNerd from DevTeam that iTunes 9 doesn't interfere with jailbreaking so you can update iTunes <s>but make sure that you do not update your device firmware to 3.1 yet if you want to jailbreak</s>. UPDATE: Jailbreak for OS 3.1 has been released but for the iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 1G ONLY and NOT iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 2G and iPod Touch 3G! Therefore, update only if you have older hardware
- Saurik confirms once you update to 3.1, there's <s>no way to downgrade</s> to an earlier version as iTunes no longer signs the older firmware. Therefore, if you do not have your ECID information saved, <s>you're completely stuck</s>! For those who have the information saved, there should be a solution out soon. UPDATE: 3.1 can now be downgraded to 3.0 but remember, the baseband is not downgraded along with the firmware, so you might still be permanently locked even though you can now jailbreak 3.1 in future.
- The new firmware also includes a new baseband which means none of the current unlocking tools will work. Therefore, if you upgrade an iPhone 3G with bootloader newer than 5.8 or an iPhone 3GS, there are chances that your device might get permanently locked.
Verdict: If you EVER want to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS again, DO NOT UPDATE YET!
Last edited by sayam; 09-16-2009 at 06:13 AM.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to sayam For This Useful Post:
aga700 (09-12-2009), banilla16 (09-12-2009), cailean2k (09-12-2009), chemalito (09-12-2009), Coral11 (09-25-2009), diem0n (09-12-2009), drunknspyder (09-13-2009), estes123 (09-14-2009), eyeandi (09-12-2009), glennpkantor (09-12-2009), gmacdo1 (09-12-2009), jasonmoe (09-12-2009), Kallisti83 (09-14-2009), kenny91 (09-12-2009), kirkie1 (09-13-2009), LEVMAN (09-14-2009), mcsebill (09-14-2009), MIL (09-13-2009), oldskoolkid13 (09-12-2009), rpjakus (09-12-2009), Squad51 (09-12-2009), tattoojack (09-12-2009), TsukiakariUsagi (09-12-2009), tyrino (10-18-2009), willie498 (09-13-2009), wingy (09-13-2009)
09-12-2009, 09:47 AM #2
great post! thxx
09-12-2009, 09:51 AM #3
JB Soon....i hope
09-12-2009, 09:59 AM #4
Ah let me be the first....
So does this mean __________ ?
09-12-2009, 10:05 AM #5
it means dont upgrade...
09-12-2009, 10:06 AM #6
Dam.. Apple's really starting to buckle down.
09-12-2009, 10:06 AM #7
I am happy on 3.0. MMS and tethering work fine for me.
09-12-2009, 10:20 AM #8
09-12-2009, 10:23 AM #9
guess i'm f****d.
09-12-2009, 10:24 AM #10
- Join Date
- Sep 2009
- Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have my purplera1nyday certificate, and my iBSS and my iBEC captured, does that mean i have by ECID captured or whatever? That i'd still have a chance to jailbreak?
09-12-2009, 10:29 AM #11
I previously had been running a beta version of 3.1 and ended up temporarily having to downgrade the firwmare to 3.0. I was able to do this (though it was not easy) when I was running iTunes 8. Is Saurik saying that iTunes 9 breaks the ability to downgrade the firmware? If so, can those of us who upgraded to iTunes 9 now downgrade to iTunes 8 to downgrade from 3.1 firmware to 3.0?
09-12-2009, 10:30 AM #12
09-12-2009, 10:30 AM #13
09-12-2009, 10:32 AM #14
I got my iBSS & iBEC the day I got my phone. My sister & brother in law got there iPhone 3GS's yesterday. Is there any way they can get the files off of their phones? They both want to jailbreak. I told them not to update anything yet.If I can't mod it...I don't want it.
09-12-2009, 10:33 AM #15
Apple can suck a big oneEDM
09-12-2009, 10:47 AM #16
what about the ipod touch owners did we need to capture anything if weve already upgraded? or is all this mostly for iphone owners???
09-12-2009, 10:51 AM #17
And again, this is only a 3G-S issue. 2G and 3G (non -S) users are fine.
Last edited by PhoneLine; 09-12-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM #18
looks like apple i really starting to make it hard for the dev team to jailbreak everything.
09-12-2009, 11:07 AM #19
last night my cydia crashed and after attempts of re-jailbreaking to see if it will replace the damaged files I was left with no choice but to install icy.. well installation went fine, but about half way through the second download I was making from icy my phone completly frooze up... I held the power button and home to restart but this is where my nightmare started... My phone got stuck on the apple logo, I AM DOOMED!! tried re-jailbreaking and restarting about 100304billion times till I had no choice but to upgrade to 3.1...Lost my jailbreak, lost my unlock... FML!!!! Only thing I was hoping was that I was able to still use my Media net as my internet provider which was not working but after I upgraded my IPCC file my 3G is now back and running on media net. but NO JAILBREAK OR UNLOCK!!! I don't have have my ecid files backed up either... I AM TOTALLY SCREWED HUH???? I am thinking about taking the phone to apple and coming up with some story for them to swap it and just cross my fingers that the replacement will be on 3.0 or 3.0.1.... SOMEONE SHOOT ME
09-12-2009, 11:18 AM #20
Not the only one mate upgraded by mistake, never saw or read message on cydia so now hoping dev manages to jailbreak 3.1 dont care about unlock just miss my iNspired theme and some apps.