+ Reply
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 221

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone OS 3.1 - All you need to know

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
. Ok well I had to restore / update my 3gs to 3.1 with iTunes 9 .........my messages does not have a little camera option for mms ........weird ?!?! Well
...
  1. #181
    Green Apple zguy916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Good Ole CAlifornia
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Unhappy Cydia froze up my 3gs so I had to update to 3.1 :(
    . Ok well I had to restore / update my 3gs to 3.1 with iTunes 9 .........my messages does not have a little camera option for mms ........weird ?!?! Well my question is ,,,,,,,, am I still ok for jailbreaking ,,,because I updated my 3gs to 3.1 ?!?! I have my purplera1nyday file saved but no ibss n ibec saved on cydia but updated so I guess that doesn't matter right ?!?! Please inform me about this guys !!! Thanks

  2. #182
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    what exactly are you guys doing on cydia causing you to have to restore. ive downloaded hundreds of packages and use every manner of thing from cydia and have NEVER in almost two years been FORCED to restore for any reason...whats the deal?

  3. #183
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    denton, tx
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    what is tethering and MMS? I just got my iphone jailbroken? I'm learning.

    Austin

  4. #184
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts

    3.1 disabled internet teathering the first time I connected it to the computer when teathering was enabled. I tried to reinstall it from the BenM site and it wont work. Ohwell, pwned by apple.

  5. #185
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    290
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    oh man i hope i dont fck up n brick my phone again



  6. #186
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    453
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxnoob View Post
    what exactly are you guys doing on cydia causing you to have to restore. ive downloaded hundreds of packages and use every manner of thing from cydia and have NEVER in almost two years been FORCED to restore for any reason...whats the deal?
    I was updating the latest version of ******* lol. On the page it said to restart the iPhone after the installation but I did another update before installing and cydia froze. I soft reset my phone and there it got stuck at apple logo and had no other choice but restore to 3.1. FML.

  7. #187
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by z28kid View Post
    ...I just wish I knew how to get the files that may be needed in the future...
    as for ECID, and files to be retrieve from the 3GS, you no longer need to do this, as Cydia can do it for you

    FIRST, DOING THIS IS ONLY REQUIRED FOR 3GS OWNERS, ALL OTHER IPHONES ARE SAFE AGAINST THIS BY DESIGN, IT'S A NEW SECURITY MEASURE FROM APPLE

    with 3Gs
    you need:
    3Gs on firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1
    redsn0w 0.8
    Mac
    Windows
    Linux
    iPhone 3GS 3.0 firmware ipsw file
    3.0_3GS

    all you do now, is jailbreak the phone using redsn0w 0.8, and point redsn0w to the v3.0 file you've downloaded when it asks

    after the jaiblreak, run cydia on your phone, install all the essential updates, cydia will close, start it again, and it will ask you if it can put your phone data on file for later use

    once you've done this, and cydia displays "phone data on file" at the top, you are sorted

    this will enable you to always be able to downgrade to 3.0 software if you've updated accidentally, however, it doesn't allow you to downgrade the basedband, so, you won't be able to network unlock the phone unless an updated unlock is created

    if you now need to downgrade your firmware, follow the tutorial on Saurik's website: Downgrade Tutorial

  8. #188
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,284
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 915 Times in 830 Posts

    Why have you linked to redsn0w on an untrusted site when it can be downloaded from this site?

    for full details of what to do with a 3GS see Dev-Team Blog - Future-proofing the 3GS jailbreak
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  9. #189
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Why have you linked to redsn0w on an untrusted site when it can be downloaded from this site?

    for full details of what to do with a 3GS see Dev-Team Blog - Future-proofing the 3GS jailbreak
    First, this is the only post in this entire thread that contains all the factually relevant info in one place, how about appreciating it rather than b!tching about the link

    second, it's the exact same link the dev team themselves use on their blog page, if they trust it, I do

    get over yourself

  10. #190
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,284
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 915 Times in 830 Posts

    Where did you find the links to the RedSn0w downloads?
    I didn't recognise the site!

    Just checked it out LOL

    I missed that one.

    Just found the updated links to the FW on the Blog - I didn't realise they'd changed them. I wish they'd let me know when they change the links to stop me making a fool of myself
    Last edited by confucious; 09-15-2009 at 03:45 AM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  11. #191
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hello all!
    The information in this post considers the iPhone 3G[S] only!
    To keep things as simple as possible I will simply call the ECID SHSH blobs 'certificates' in the following.

    Thanks to theron.roland for collecting all the information, really appreciative. It's just missing one important fact:

    Apple stopped (as of 09/09/09 = release of 3.1) signing 3.0 and 3.0.1 .ipsw files!
    So no matter what you do, you can't get these 'certificates' anymore. In short, the method described by theron.roland won't get you your files, the window has been closed.

    For clarification some scenarios:

    #1
    You're still on 3.0 or 3.0.1 and used Cydia before 09/09/09 to store your certificates on saurik's server.
    You are one of the lucky few!

    #1a - factory unlocked
    If you own a factory unlocked device and don't rely on any soft unlock to use your phone with the carrier of your choice, you could update to official 3.1. You would lose your jailbreak though!
    To get back your jailbreak you are able to follow saurik's downgrade instructions, which in turn defeats the purpose of upgrading to 3.1 in the beginning, if you downgrade to 3.0/3.0.1 to get your jailbreak back. But it helps if you upgraded 'accidentally'.
    So if you want the jailbreak on 3.1 wait for PwnageTool 3.1 :-)

    #1b - carrier locked
    As of now the new baseband (05.11.07) can't be soft unlocked, and won't be in the foreseeable future.
    So if you are relying on a soft unlock to use your phone with the carrier of your choice don't (!) update to official 3.1.
    Saurik's downgrade method, nor any other downgrade method, doesn't downgrade the baseband!!!

    #2
    You're still on 3.0 or 3.0.1 and you used purplera1n.com or the 'capture-tmp-file' method to get your certificates.
    Well, you definitely got the right files. There's just no tool out there that can use your locally stored certificates to make you able to downgrade!
    You should keep the files nevertheless. There's hope that there will be a tool out there, maybe integrated in PwnageTool, which is able to use locally stored certificates.
    So you should not upgrade to 3.1 if you really need the jailbreak cause you won't be able to downgrade. As of now, for downgrading you need the certificates stored on saurik's server.

    #3
    You're still on 3.0 or 3.0.1 with no certificates at all anywhere.
    Saurik's downgrade method wouldn't work for you and there's no way to get the certificates after 09/09/09. So you should stay on 3.0/3.0.1 if you care about a jailbreak and wait for PwnageTool 3.1.

    #4
    You're already on 3.1.
    To keep it short: No soft unlock (if you need it) as of now and if possible it will take a while to see the light of day.
    For jailbreaking: Wait for PwnageTool 3.1.
    Downgrading: As of now ONLY if you have obtained certificates 'on file' before 09/09/09 through Cydia for 3.0 or 3.0.1.

    Hmm, I hope I didn't forget anything. Let me know if I did :-)
    Last edited by phoeny; 09-15-2009 at 05:12 AM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to phoeny For This Useful Post:

    lilskaterpunk (09-15-2009)

  13. #192
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by phoeny View Post
    Hello all!
    It's just missing one important fact:
    yes and no, it still collects the required files from your phone on your behalf

    i don't want to give too much detail because it might convince the noobs (of which there are plenty) to jump the gun, but, even though saurik won't retrieve the signed files from apple, he does retrieve what you need from the phone, which is and will be enough

  14. #193
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theron.roland View Post
    i don't want to give too much detail because it might convince the noobs (of which there are plenty) to jump the gun, but, even though saurik won't retrieve the signed files from apple, he does retrieve what you need from the phone, which is and will be enough
    that's interesting. just out of curiosity, where did you get that information from?

  15. #194

  16. #195
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,284
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked 915 Times in 830 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by theron.roland View Post
    as for ECID, and files to be retrieve from the 3GS, you no longer need to do this, as Cydia can do it for you

    FIRST, DOING THIS IS ONLY REQUIRED FOR 3GS OWNERS, ALL OTHER IPHONES ARE SAFE AGAINST THIS BY DESIGN, IT'S A NEW SECURITY MEASURE FROM APPLE

    with 3Gs
    you need:
    3Gs on firmware 3.0 or 3.0.1
    redsn0w 0.8
    Mac
    Windows
    Linux
    iPhone 3GS 3.0 firmware ipsw file
    3.0_3GS

    all you do now, is jailbreak the phone using redsn0w 0.8, and point redsn0w to the v3.0 file you've downloaded when it asks

    after the jaiblreak, run cydia on your phone, install all the essential updates, cydia will close, start it again, and it will ask you if it can put your phone data on file for later use

    once you've done this, and cydia displays "phone data on file" at the top, you are sorted

    this will enable you to always be able to downgrade to 3.0 software if you've updated accidentally, however, it doesn't allow you to downgrade the basedband, so, you won't be able to network unlock the phone unless an updated unlock is created

    if you now need to downgrade your firmware, follow the tutorial on Saurik's website: Downgrade Tutorial
    Having just re-read this post, after my initial surprise at seeing RedSn0w links to a site I didn't recognise I've just read the post again and realised just how wrong it is.

    If Cydia has not already got your files it can not get signed 3.0 files now!

    As from tonight Saurik will be collecting files for 3.1 but if you didn't let cydia collect your files before 3.1 was released you are to late.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  17. #196
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts

    What about the loss of teathering?

  18. #197
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post
    What about the loss of teathering?
    yeah. that's a different story. depending in which country you live and what carrier you're using, 3.1 might brake tethering for you.
    i don't know if there is any carrier officially supported by Apple out there that allows tethering with stock 3.1.
    anyways, AT&T will supposedly support tethering starting 09/25/09.
    i've been using a custom carrier bundle to enable MMS and tethering.
    there are some reports that you can still upload custom .ipcc files to 3.1 (even using iTunes 9), but tethering simply won't work.

    once 3.1 is officially jailbroken people over here are going to investigate.

    off topic: i don't know if it's allowed to post links to other forums here? mods, please edit if not.
    Last edited by phoeny; 09-15-2009 at 07:09 AM.

  19. #198
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by phoeny View Post
    yeah. that's a different story. depending in which country you live and what carrier you're using, 3.1 might brake tethering for you.
    i don't know if there is any carrier officially supported by Apple out there that allows tethering with stock 3.1.
    anyways, AT&T will supposedly support tethering starting 09/25/09.
    i've been using a custom carrier bundle to enable MMS and tethering.
    there are some reports that you can still upload custom .ipcc files to 3.1 (even using iTunes 9), but tethering simply won't work.

    once 3.1 is officially jailbroken people over here are going to investigate.

    off topic: i don't know if it's allowed to post links to other forums here? mods, please edit if not.
    Our carrier officially supports tethering, configuration is built into the 3.1 firware, Vodacom South Afria

  20. #199
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theron.roland View Post
    Our carrier officially supports tethering, configuration is built into the 3.1 firware, Vodacom South Afria
    sweet! so there are some officially supported carriers with working tethering on 3.1.
    maybe we can learn from these configurations once we have access to the file system :-)

  21. #200
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by phoeny View Post
    Hello all!
    The information in this post considers the iPhone 3G[S] only!
    To keep things as simple as possible I will simply call the ECID SHSH blobs 'certificates' in the following.

    Thanks to theron.roland for collecting all the information, really appreciative. It's just missing one important fact:

    Apple stopped (as of 09/09/09 = release of 3.1) signing 3.0 and 3.0.1 .ipsw files!
    So no matter what you do, you can't get these 'certificates' anymore. In short, the method described by theron.roland won't get you your files, the window has been closed.

    For clarification some scenarios:

    #1
    You're still on 3.0 or 3.0.1 and used Cydia before 09/09/09 to store your certificates on saurik's server.
    You are one of the lucky few!

    #1a - factory unlocked
    If you own a factory unlocked device and don't rely on any soft unlock to use your phone with the carrier of your choice, you could update to official 3.1. You would lose your jailbreak though!
    To get back your jailbreak you are able to follow saurik's downgrade instructions, which in turn defeats the purpose of upgrading to 3.1 in the beginning, if you downgrade to 3.0/3.0.1 to get your jailbreak back. But it helps if you upgraded 'accidentally'.
    So if you want the jailbreak on 3.1 wait for PwnageTool 3.1 :-)

    #1b - carrier locked
    As of now the new baseband (05.11.07) can't be soft unlocked, and won't be in the foreseeable future.
    So if you are relying on a soft unlock to use your phone with the carrier of your choice don't (!) update to official 3.1.
    Saurik's downgrade method, nor any other downgrade method, doesn't downgrade the baseband!!!

    #2
    You're still on 3.0 or 3.0.1 and you used purplera1n.com or the 'capture-tmp-file' method to get your certificates.
    Well, you definitely got the right files. There's just no tool out there that can use your locally stored certificates to make you able to downgrade!
    You should keep the files nevertheless. There's hope that there will be a tool out there, maybe integrated in PwnageTool, which is able to use locally stored certificates.
    So you should not upgrade to 3.1 if you really need the jailbreak cause you won't be able to downgrade. As of now, for downgrading you need the certificates stored on saurik's server.

    #3
    You're still on 3.0 or 3.0.1 with no certificates at all anywhere.
    Saurik's downgrade method wouldn't work for you and there's no way to get the certificates after 09/09/09. So you should stay on 3.0/3.0.1 if you care about a jailbreak and wait for PwnageTool 3.1.

    #4
    You're already on 3.1.
    To keep it short: No soft unlock (if you need it) as of now and if possible it will take a while to see the light of day.
    For jailbreaking: Wait for PwnageTool 3.1.
    Downgrading: As of now ONLY if you have obtained certificates 'on file' before 09/09/09 through Cydia for 3.0 or 3.0.1.

    Hmm, I hope I didn't forget anything. Let me know if I did :-)
    I'm afraid I may need to exchange my 3GS phone since I may have fried the battery. If i get one from the Apple store, and it still has 3.0 or 3.0.1, am I able to use the regular jailbreak and unlock methods?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts