+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Lifestream, AIM 4.0 debut for iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via Tech Crunch It's been a while since AOL was a major player in the digital realm. But the folks at AOL are impressing some with their newest offering.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Lifestream, AIM 4.0 debut for iPhone

Image via Tech Crunch

It's been a while since AOL was a major player in the digital realm. But the folks at AOL are impressing some with their newest offering.

Jason Kincaid at TechCrunch is out with the scoop:

A few months ago AOL found a way to fuse AIM, its popular instant messenger client, with the broader messaging systems like Facebook and Twitter that have begun increasingly important on the web. AIM now includes a new tab dedicated to the lifestream: a combination of your friends' activities on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, AIM itself, and a variety of other services.
    In a nutshell, Lifestream is coming to the iPhone with AIM 4.0. This "FriendFeed with integrated chat," as Kincaid puts it, just went live in the App Store.

However, you have to cough up $2.99 for Lifestream with the aforementioned functionality. The free version doesn't do the trick.

I checked it out for myself and have to admit an overall positive initial response. It really is a portable version of the services supported by the desktop version of Lifestream. But, best of all, the iPhone app enables one to cover a lot of social networking territory at once. If you want to let the world know you just ran out of toothpaste, no need to type it twice. AIM updates pump out to Twitter, Facebook, etc. simultaneously. This is the first and only reason to pay up for the app. Taking Lifestream from read-only to the chat fest this neat little app now inspires should earn high marks for AOL.

Other new additions to the app include photo uploading, photo viewing on the Lifestream, and various UI improvements.
    A lot of AOL fans are hoping the new iPhone endeavor is a success. The company, after all, could use a little morale boost these days, along with more positive PR.

Just yesterday, AOL was profiled in various media outlets promising to donate more than $100,000 to charity to settle two lawsuits resulting from ads attached as footers in email messages. AOL, after all, still generates considerable revenue from ad space - an effort some say the company may have taken too far. As a result of the controversy, AOL is now educating all members on how to opt out of the seemingly troublesome footer ads.

Thanks

AOL has been disappointing me for too many years now with all of there sub-par software offerings. Sadly, that leaves me reluctant to try anything else they have.

They would have to virtually reinvent the modern OS before I would even consider using their software, let alone paying money for it.

Oh God, I just envisioned AOL as my OS...*shudder*

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice additional features, but I don't really see myself using them. I'll stick with the free version.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So, Awesome app, That I'll never use because You have to pay for it. I dont mind buying apps,but this is a waste of money for me, I've got no problem taking an extra 30 seconds to open my free twitter app, or to open the flickr app, or to open any other app that this integrates with. If they want my money, they need to make it worth while, And if the UI is that amazing, someone would need to pay for it, why not offer its amazing powers in the free edition and make it very limited. Im not paying money to test a UI..

Thanks

I can't even find it in the AppStore lol

I search for it an all I find is some message in a bottle thing.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

I would try it if it was free but not coughing up $3 for it.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    I can't even find it in the AppStore lol

I search for it an all I find is some message in a bottle thing.

Aol has it up and running.
    You can't find the AIM app??

scary ppl.
    Last edited by Carrbone; 09-11-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks

the aim app is a waste unless u dont wanna pay its not worth any money i like IM+ or bejiveim but they charge but its worth it

What's Jailbreak? TheArthurShock's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds good but I'm not gunna pay $2.99 for it. I think I might just carry on using the free Apps I have to do this job.

sorry AOL
    Stock Just Doesn't Cut It

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

free apps FTW