+ Reply
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS iPhones can no longer restore to 3.0

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
So here's what I need to know. I've got a jail-broken 3.0.1 and the IBSS/ IBEC numbers are news to me. It's unclear (to me) whether or not I am
    Thanks

So here's what I need to know. I've got a jail-broken 3.0.1 and the IBSS/ IBEC numbers are news to me. It's unclear (to me) whether or not I am screwed. So, question (1) am I screwed? question (2) if I am screwed, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

You are screwed at the moment if you need to restore for any reason you will be stuck with 3.1
    I am sure, long term, a fix will be found.

And iBSS and iBEC files grabbed now will be signed for 3.1 so useless at the moment.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you need to get out of "black/apple screen of death" without upgrading to 3.1 try this:

How to repair “Apple Logo Screen Of Death” (endless boot) without SSH access! | TwiPhone.com

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

So it almost seems like that since apple is not fond of ppl jailbreaking it's devices, it is forcing ppl to go to 3.1 as that is now completely different with the jailbreaking process and lot harder than it was on 3.0, which could easily be jailbroken. It seems like they actually plan to end the jailbreak with this 3.1, which is why u can't even restore back to original firmwares and as for the 2G, well that is going to end pretty soon bcuz it does not any of the new features which either 3G and/or 3GS have…and so ppl would be more inclined to upgrade to one of those instead

So, now our best hopes are that the dev team come up with something on this 3.1
    As majority of the ppl on here just care about being able to jailbreak

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

F... Apple!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It doesn't on the 3gs. Apple has stopped signing the old restore files. So don't worry, there is nothing you could have done.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotCross View Post
    I didn't think that worked. *scratches his head* cause it didn't work for me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Honestly, is this really a surprise to anyone?

Its always been a cat and mouse game and only a matter of time before Apple closed all the holes they were using for exploits.

Eventually, it will be totally locked down. Maybe not right now but it will happen. Or it will become so difficult to do that people won't bother. To think otherwise is being naive.

Not like the Dev Team is getting paid big $$$$ to work hard on this.

And with other cellular phone OSs such as Android out there, why bother.

Its like Apple is forcing you to use their iphone? If you can "f..k Apple" or whatever, theres an easy solution. Sell your phone and buy something else.

End of story.
    Last edited by shawn o; 09-11-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks

... how many people have bought iPhones to unlock and use on other / non-official carriers? It has to be a nice percent of their market. Doesn't make any since that they would purposely throw away that revenue.

Maybe... just maybe, if they see a slump in sales after they successfully "lock down" the iPhone (which I hope isn't anytime soon) they might reconsider..??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Switching phones will be costly somewhat. E.g. you might have bought lots of apps. Leaving Apple will force you to leave those apps along with it, and have to re-buy apps, if they even exist, for the new phone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

I am just generally disappointed in the direction all this has taken. Apple is being a bratty little b!tch about our community and what we enjoy. I have faith in the dev team and all the others that really put in the hours to make all of this stuff happen. Big thanks to all of you!!! At any rate I hope my purplera1n files and the ones that saurik says he has are enough to continue using my iphone to its full potential. Thanks Apple, someone need to put you in time-out to think about your action and their possible efects
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shawn o View Post
    Honestly, is this really a surprise to anyone?

Its always been a cat and mouse game and only a matter of time before Apple closed all the holes they were using for exploits.

Eventually, it will be totally locked down. Maybe not right now but it will happen. Or it will become so difficult to do that people won't bother. To think otherwise is being naive.

Not like the Dev Team is getting paid big $$$$ to work hard on this.

And with other cellular phone OSs such as Android out there, why bother.

Its like Apple is forcing you to use their iphone? If you can "f..k Apple" or whatever, theres an easy solution. Sell your phone and buy something else.

End of story.
    JAILBREAKING WILL NEVER DIE. nothing is ever "fullproof." I'm sure back in the AnySim days no one thought we'd have one button jailbreaks and unlocks like purplera1n. just have to be patient.

Like I said earlier though, if i DO upgrade to 3.1 can I use the grapper during the process?
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mkblade View Post
    So it almost seems like that since apple is not fond of ppl jailbreaking it's devices, it is forcing ppl to go to 3.1 as that is now completely different with the jailbreaking process and lot harder than it was on 3.0, which could easily be jailbroken. It seems like they actually plan to end the jailbreak with this 3.1, which is why u can't even restore back to original firmwares and as for the 2G, well that is going to end pretty soon bcuz it does not any of the new features which either 3G and/or 3GS have…and so ppl would be more inclined to upgrade to one of those instead

So, now our best hopes are that the dev team come up with something on this 3.1
    As majority of the ppl on here just care about being able to jailbreak
    I agree with you. I am so afraid to install, download or attempt modding of aby kind. I don't want to have to restore!! My phone will be worthless to me, unless it's jailbroke.

You suck!
    Last edited by black_orchid; 09-11-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    LIVE FOR TODAY,
    BECAUSE TOMORROW
    IS NEVER PROMISED"

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is definitely on a power trip....they can't see the forest for the trees. I think a lot of people will either not buy an iPhone, or will switch phones if they cannot jailbrake anymore.

That is one of the great things (and there are not too many) about Windows Mobile. You could tweak the hell out of that OS!
    kwickone I.T.H.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    jailbreaking will die when apple lifts its ridiculous ad hoc approval procedures and let's developers create the apps people are asking for.

Thanks

Can anyone confirm this image? Looks like an upgrade to 3.1 but they were able to keep the old BB which means ultrasn0w will work.

tweet>> http://twitter.com/cpich3g

Thanks

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    confucious!, you got some splaining to do!!! lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default ...
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Ah, but it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt...

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96hondaex View Post
    Can anyone confirm this image? Looks like an upgrade to 3.1 but they were able to keep the old BB which means ultrasn0w will work.

tweet>> cpich3g (cpich3g) on Twitter

Shouldn't surprise anyone really. Sure we can't get back to 3.0 (right now anyway), but if we can soon jailbreak 3.1 who cares?

And confucious is a poo poo head. LOL.

Thanks

3.1 is working fine here on T-Mobile

Just because it can be done does not mean it is in a fit state to be released to the public yet.