+ Reply
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS iPhones can no longer restore to 3.0

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This is very disturbing. Afte upgrading iTunes to 9, it saw my 3G no trouble, but after connecting my 3GS it stated that it couldn't read the phone and told
    Green Apple
    Thanks

This is very disturbing. Afte upgrading iTunes to 9, it saw my 3G no trouble, but after connecting my 3GS it stated that it couldn't read the phone and told me to restore. I didn't do it because I'm waiting for the 3.1 JB and MMS and didn't want to go through a full restore process at 10PM or I'd still be working on it. I have my EICD, IBEC & IBSS files, but not my husbands (only have the EICD).

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

WIll I be able to use my carrier bundle with my 3GS coming today via iTunes 8? its on 3.0.1, Jailbroken and unlocked
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chefanim For This Useful Post:

Jdogg32 (09-11-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

F*ck you stevo. You look like a skeleton. Perhaps you should focus on your health and stop being so controlling about MY device.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there any way to still get the IBEC and IBSS if you didn't already? I don't think so as all methods contacted apple's servers to get the files.

I got mine the old fashioned way when the phone first came out. while doing a restore to 3.0 the files appear for a short time in a temp directory. So, I copied them and have them saved on 2 hard drives, a thumb drive, and on my FTP. but now, you can't do the restore cause it will bump you to 3.1

Also saurik's method relied on apple still signing the 3.0 and 3.0.1, now thats they are not, he can't offer what he was offering to new people. He posted on twitter about it. Glad I got it while it was up!

Geohot also posted on twitter that anyone who previously got their purplera1n ECID file and lost it can get it again as it may have a local copy stored, but if you didn't get it then your out of luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Here is a link for the ibss and ibec grabber that you will need to use to get the ibss and ibec.
    difrnt Blog Archive ECID Grabber & iBEC and iBSS Grabber
    Last edited by Cowboy; 09-10-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

marys25 (09-10-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yesterday my iPhone died/jammed/became unrecognized and I was forced to restore. Guess what??? It was either get 3.1, or have a brick in my pocket. I spent 3 hours trying to downgrade by using different iTunes versions, disconnecting internet, cursing Steve Jobs, etc, and in the end Apple won this time. I am pissed off, Apple really needs to stop imposing their will on people. It's not like I got my iPhone for free. Now just hoping for the jailbreak for 3.1.

PS- I have Iphone 3GS

iPhone? More like MyPhone marys25's Avatar
    Thanks

damn...i had to restore my computer and lost my files...though i did upgrade to itunes 9 i didn't upgrade my phone (cause i DO wait until a JB is available) so i think i can still get it back

Thanks

Well atleast ou didnt be stupid and upgrade
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default That's fine...
    That's fine...AT&T needs to get on it.....paying $30 or whatever it is for an internet package is ridiculous anyways for a phone, so if anyone is going to pay that kind of money for internet on a phone that they're not even supposed to tether..they better AT LEAST make it quick.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyGirl View Post
    In Cydia? I don't see that option on my Cydia launch page on the phone.
    I don't see this in Cydia either. Where is this option in Cydia I am still running 3.0 on my 3GS and refuse to upgrade until I know it is safe.

Thanks

LOL I knew this would happen! Most everybody has had PLENTY of time to secure the IBSS and IBEC signatures but they sit on their @55 and do nothing. Now that it's the last minute they all want to jump up and ask what it is and how they can get to it.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmw7777 View Post
    Yesterday my iPhone died/jammed/became unrecognized and I was forced to restore. Guess what??? It was either get 3.1, or have a brick in my pocket. I spent 3 hours trying to downgrade by using different iTunes versions, disconnecting internet, cursing Steve Jobs, etc, and in the end Apple won this time. I am pissed off, Apple really needs to stop imposing their will on people. It's not like I got my iPhone for free. Now just hoping for the jailbreak for 3.1.

PS- I have Iphone 3GS
    Agreed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    Here is a link for the ibss and ibec grabber that you will need to use to get the ibss and ibec.
    difrnt Blog Archive ECID Grabber & iBEC and iBSS Grabber
    Cool. So, this still works with apple not signing them anymore? If so, grab it people! Maybe the files are on the device somewhere also?

I didn't think any of these methods would still work, but if they do, thats great.

Quote Originally Posted by A_DuB187 View Post
    LOL I knew this would happen! Most everybody has had PLENTY of time to secure the IBSS and IBEC signatures but they sit on their @55 and do nothing. Now that it's the last minute they all want to jump up and ask what it is and how they can get to it.
    Goes right up there with the red flashing lights that say do not upgrade 30 seconds after a new fw is released.

The old you can lead the guy to water proverb comes into play
    Last edited by PhoneLine; 09-10-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Bad attitudes
    Quote Originally Posted by A_DuB187 View Post
    Boy people have lousy attitudes around here. LOL you didn't secure your signatures... LOL you upgraded and now your phone doesn't work... those comments are as useless as the people you're complaining about.

Seems like a lot of people are (blindly) counting on Saurik to jailbreak... I guess he at least has a vested interest now that he's making some money off Cydia. Here's hoping it stays worth the trouble for him...

Thanks

since nobody has answer it yet. Why do I need the EICD, IBEC & IBSS files? I have a 3.0 32g 3gs jailbroken and unlocked on t-mobile. I never need those files for anything. I used redsnow and cydia to unlock? Please someone tell me why I need these files. I am new to the 3gs and use to the 2g.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imbuggin View Post
    since nobody has answer it yet. Why do I need the EICD, IBEC & IBSS files? I have a 3.0 32g 3gs jailbroken and unlocked on t-mobile. I never need those files for anything. I used redsnow and cydia to unlock? Please someone tell me why I need these files. I am new to the 3gs and use to the 2g.
    If anything happens to your phone and you need to restore you will be forced to install firmware 3.1, no other firmware will install no matter if you have the firmware file locally or not. The system will contact apple and apple will block you from putting 3.0 back.

You'd have to install 3.1, which there is no unlock for, and your phone would then be re-locked to AT&T.

Thanks

Because to beable to downgrade you firmware for 3.1 you have to have in secure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneLine View Post
    If anything happens to your phone and you need to restore you will be forced to install firmware 3.1, no other firmware will install no matter if you have the firmware file locally or not. The system will contact apple and apple will block you from putting 3.0 back.

You'd have to install 3.1, which there is no unlock for, and your phone would then be re-locked to AT&T.
    so what will the files do if the firmware still needs to contact the apple server. Sorry I don't get it. If I understand even with these files you can't restore 3.0. So what good are they?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imbuggin View Post
    basic is with these files that are unique to only your phone we may be able to manipulate apple at a later time when it would be hard to jailbreak

I just swaped my phone yesterday at the genius bar lucky for me those phones will still have 3.0.1 for another few days so get on it people!!! However I do need to get my ibec and ibss again so I'm gonna try the grabber posted on the page before this.... if not I'll keep my 3GS on 3.0.1 and I'm staying away from iTunes 9 just in case, I'm still on AT&T but not for long.... I can't afford $120 a month these days
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

"Additionally if you do not have your IBSS and IBEC signatures and you restore, you may never be able to jailbreak again."

So wait, if we didn't do this or do that thing in Cydia, it's guaranteed that we will never be able to jailbreak again? So that also means from now on, any iPhone sold from now on can't be jailbroken?
    Last edited by Channan; 09-10-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.