+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HSPA Coming to Six Cities By Year's End

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Not puttin new york pretty much at the top goes to show u that yes at&t are still very incompitant
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Not puttin new york pretty much at the top goes to show u that yes at&t are still very incompitant

Thanks
    atlanta please?

Green Apple
    Thanks

We've gotten to used to accepting what AT&T throws our way... Talk about a set of people with Low Expectations.

I have a 3Gs unlock which I use when I travel (like right now) I'm down in South America, Argentina to be exact I bought a prepaid SIM card from one of the local carriers. The for 10 pesos (or 2.60US) the cell phone carrier down here allows me to download a gig at up to 3.6mbits. Mind you this is pre-paid which is more expensive.

When I put the SIM card into my iPhone 3gs the Picture SMS future becames available instantly. As soon as I put the ATT sim in the phone it goes away... Really freaky stuff. But anyway to make a long story short, what's MoviStar (latin America) doing right that AT&T isn't?

All the carriers down here offer pre-paid data plans for those like me who come visit once in a blue moon. Or for under 35 dollars a month you can unlimited 3.6mb downloads for the month.

Too bad we have a government that is partially if not fully owned by the Telcos who neglect to see how far behind the US is falling. Even the "3rd" world is far more advanced when it comes to communications than we are.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyone else think it's stupid that AT&T are still bothering with HSPA when LTE is the future, and even they know it and are going to roll out trials on LTE in 2010?

Of course, other carriers who aren't stupid enough to continue investing in an already outdated technology will have fairly large LTE networks already in place by the time AT&T even starts rolling it out. Plus, LTE is so much faster and more flexible that the fact that AT&T hasn't completely abandoned HSPA is just laughable.

Read this, taken from 3G and 4G Wireless Blog: Comparison: HSPA+ vs LTE

{

Advantages of LTE over HSPA+

* Flexible Spectrum usage possible with LTE: LTE will be the same whether the bandwidth available is 5MHz or 20MHz. Ofcourse the data rate will increase when the BW is increased. With HSPA+ only 5MHz bandwidhts possible. Similalrly with HSPA+ only FDD mode of operation is possible whereas with LTE FDD or TDD mode is possible.
    * Spectrum Effeciency: Better spectrum effeciency, by a factor of 2 atleast over HSPA+
    * Simpler Architecture: LTE has a much simpler and relatively flat architecture compared to the legacy UMTS network in HSPA+
    * Higher Data Rates: LTE gives DL data rates of 144Mbps and UL of 57Mbps. HSPA+ gives 42Mbps in DL and 11Mbps in UL
    * Ultra Low Latency: 10ms instead of 50ms for HSPA+
    * Short TTI: 0.5ms instead of 2ms for HSPA+

Advantages of HSPA+ over LTE

* Will be ready much before LTE: HSPA+ technology should be available in Q1 2009 whereas the earliest with LTE would be sometime in 2010.
    * Much less investment in infrastructure: Since HSPA+ is evolution of HSPA which is already being deployed, it would be easier and less costly to upgrade. With LTE since its based on OFDM a lot of new components will be required. Also in case of LTE the number of components are reduced but since they work in a different way, new components will be required.

}

If they had any brains they would skip HSPA and go straight to fast-tracking the rollout of LTE technology. Sure, upgrading to an LTE network is expensive, but so is continuing to buy and install outdated technology when they already know what the next step is and how they should be preparing for it.

Just my .02 on the whole matter.
    Last edited by Kiserai; 09-11-2009 at 02:11 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone marys25's Avatar
    Thanks

i live in miami so i'm good

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just want to complete a phone call by pressing the end button instead of it beeping to let me know that AT&T has decided to end my call for me. I drop 80% of my phone calls if I leave 3G enabled and only about 20% of calls if I turn it off. Glad I bought an iPhone 3G.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

im getting sick of AT&T
    they suck
    and im stuck with them until my 3GS contract is up

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope I am in the 25 but they should be working on a bigger 3g network

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

Larger? They need to fix what they have first. That and I think the iPhone fudges 3G reception.. 3 bars is like -111 (near no reception).

Lovely

Not

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12