+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: When Will Apple Finally Push the Right Buttons?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via SkateandAnnoy Many Apple fans like myself love the cool games available for the iPhone and iPod. To a considerable degree, the gaming experience for the Apple product line
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default When Will Apple Finally Push the Right Buttons?

Image via SkateandAnnoy

Many Apple fans like myself love the cool games available for the iPhone and iPod.

To a considerable degree, the gaming experience for the Apple product line can hold its own with the lineup available for any competing portable video game handheld maker - even the PSP, in my estimation. In addition to cost effectiveness and appearance, the outright game play for many titles just feels better on my iPhone. And it's impossible to place a value on the convenience factor of "game readiness."

But as analyst Jeff Bakalar pointed out following last night's Apple event, there's still something missing from the iPhone and iPod gaming experience. And it's hard to put your finger on exactly what it is.

Literally.

It's tough to consider the iPhone as a legitimate gaming platform until Apple can offer some sort of tactile button functionality.
    Although the day after an Apple announcement seems a little premature to begin speculating about what next year's
    announcement may reveal, the often ignored Apple gamers are dying for a gaming themed extravaganza like the music-oriented
    spectacle we saw Wednesday.

The way it currently stands, controlling such games on the iPhone or the iPod Touch is a frustrating mess. Players must navigate using a virtual D-pad, which isn't able to provide the accuracy or physical feeling an actual control pad offers on the PSP and the DS.
    It's no secret that Apple has an enormous and untapped potential advantage over competing handheld gaming devices.
    Because of the multiple functions that an iPhone, for example, can perform, even die-hard gamers will gladly overlook
    some superior characteristics of their DS or PSP just for the sake of their handy-dandy all in one Apple device.
    But gamers will eventually run out of patience rather than cultivate it if Apple doesn't make improving the gaming functionality a higher priority.

The first step toward that goal--whether it be an add-on or hardware change--is to add buttons.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I know what its missing. It needs a gamepad type thing that snaps on to the iphone. Whenever I play an iphone game I am not keen on the buttons that appear over the screen, why not just have some kind of pad?

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Never play games on my iPhone, PSP ftw.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A "plug-in" pad would be cool, especially for games like Assassin's Creed and that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think somthing like icontrolpad is perfect for this problem,
    iControlPad - Add real gaming controls to your iPhone!

the iphone looks perfect as it is, adding buttons to it rather then a plug-in system will just make it look ugly.
    Spam deleted

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Image via SkateandAnnoy

To a considerable degree, the gaming experience for the Apple product line can hold its own with the lineup available for any competing portable video game handheld maker - even the PSP, in my estimation."
    Not even close!
    Quote Originally Posted by tigermad View Post
    I know what its missing. It needs a gamepad type thing that snaps on to the iphone. Whenever I play an iphone game I am not keen on the buttons that appear over the screen, why not just have some kind of pad?
    I thought someone already made a snap in gamers pad.

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    Never play games on my iPhone, PSP ftw.
    +1

Thanks

what happened to the bluetooth controller shaped like a bone? i thought that was a good idea.
    13" 2.9 GHz i7 MacBook Pro OSX Mountain Lion | 32gb iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 JB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think that the games that apple are bringing out are acceptable for handhelds without buttons. If you do a little research its the buttons that restrict some games and programmers from making new innovations.

Why are Sony and Nintendo looking for new controllers and ways of making the games more fluid and interactive.

No one could say that the Madden series would suffer from not having buttons after seeing the demo.

hand held games are for a quick bit of fun.
    If you are a serious gamer you have one of the big home consoles or a decent PC.

Marketing, price and carrying only one machine that does all the different functions will win in the end.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

The dogbone will end it all...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

If I had an iPhone I don't think I would play games on it. I like having a dedicated phone for only that purpose -- I would never arbitrarily drain the battery on such an important communication device. That's why I got the Touch (and because I'm poor). Now I can do anything I want with it and not worry about the battery charge level.

I guess the big question is, will Apple go against everything that made them popular by altering the industrial design of the incredibly minimalist design of the iPhone/Touch?

Personally I think a device with a game pad would fall flat. People buy the iPhone for the phone, the music player, and the apps... that it can play games as well is just kind of a bonus. My evidence for this is the fact that so many "non-gamers" own the device. It's the casual-gamer's oasis.

An Apple gaming device is just wishful thinking.

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    An Apple gaming device is just wishful thinking.

Yeah, totally wishful thinking - they never would stoop so low =P
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Not even close!
    I thought someone already made a snap in gamers pad.

+1
    I thought the same thing when I read the post. iPhone just as good with games as a PSP? LOL!!

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

Thanks

umm ok in the 3.0 sdk u can make accessories for the fone and make it work with ur app
    u shouldnt b askin apple 2 make it just get some hardware devs

iPhone? More like MyPhone tankz504's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    The dogbone will end it all...
    What is a dogbone?

Thanks

It does need some controller...I wonder if it is possible to use a Wii Remote as an iPhone/iPod touch controller since the Wii and the Wii Remote uses Bluetooth to connect.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Actually there are 2 buttons that we can use, the volume up and down.

I'd agree iphone might need a controller, but I think they are standing in a good place now. It brings something that other gaming device can never produce (hence multi-point touch screen, acclermeter). Instead of making "buttons", let developer make something up with what they have right now with their creativity. If i want buttons, i play DS, or consoles, or even PC for more button sake.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

wth, iphonees and ipods are for calling, music, internet and great apps that can help us...sure a coupe games are nice but they are a Plus, IT IS A PHONE and an IPOD! one should be grateful for having such great games on the devices.

buttons(on top or bottom? eww noooo it will look like an android phone, and an adapter noo way! it will look award when playing games that require tilt and shake and yeah! it's a subway ride gaming device...until i get to the stop at my college.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

dogbone ftw!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I wish that vans skate game was actually for iPhone, its been going around since 2007 lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

i think iPhone/iPod games are great for when you're in line at the doctor's or dentist's office or bored at school or something but i dont think it can ever seriously compete with the DS or PSP even if it did have tactile buttons.
    and i would feel and look absolutely ridiculous carrying around a dogbone controller bigger than the phone itself