+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Goodbye Soccer Moms... Hello iPhone Moms

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Goodbye Soccer Moms... Hello iPhone Moms

Image via becksilverman

An interesting article in the Pioneer Press this weekend illustrates how the "soccer mom" is rapidly being replaced by the "iPhone mom."

When Laurie Jesch-Kulseth gets a craving for fennel while at the supermarket with her two young kids, she doesn't just grab a batch of the tasty herb and head for the register. She whips out her iPhone, searches the Web for a good recipe incorporating fennel, fetches the extra ingredients and has a family dinner on the table within hours. Ah, the power.
    Indeed, the iPhone has revolutionized the convenience with which we lead our lives. But the article inadvertently exposes a reality that many of us may be noticing in our own lives - that the moms we know or call our own typically use their iPhone in the most bare-bones way possible.

The matriarchs chronicled by Laurie Jesch-Kulseth in this Pioneer Press piece showcase how the iPhone helps moms stay organized, check the weather, make shopping lists, program "ICE" into their phones, etc. It really doesn't get any cooler than that for the new generation of "iPhone moms." And I, for one, kind of find that awfully sad. At present, there isn't a strong emphasis on mother-friendly applications in the App Store. And those that are tailored to moms aren't necessarily the most cutting-edge and contemporary in the digital storefront if you know what I mean.

Fortunately, with the greater awareness of the iPhone's practicality for the moms of the world, developers and marketers may soon turn their attention to this rapidly growing segment of the population.

Greystripe, an advertising network focused on mobile devices, has encouraged its clientele to target iPhone-using mothers via prominent ads embedded in a range of free iPhone apps. A recent Greystripe report titled "The iPhone Mom" highlights the powerful role of such women as primary decision makers when it comes to household buying.
    For now, searching the top "mom-friendly" apps for the iPhone yields results that prove more kid-friendly than anything.
    For example, mommypoppins.com lists the following as some of the best iPhone apps for moms:
    • Scribble (FREE) —Lets kids (or parents) draw with their finger right on the screen and then shake to erase, like an etch-a-sketch. Great for little kids.
    • Bubbles (FREE) — Make and play with bubbles. Perfect for distracting toddlers.
    • Super Monkey Ball ($9.99)— Of course there are a gazillion DS style games for the iPhone

Hopefully, the future for "iPhone moms" will include at least a few more applications that really are designed for moms and not just distractions for their little ones. Moms, after all, deserve to have a little fun and enjoy the sillier side of life (and the iPhone) too.

Thanks

Milf.

LOLWUT?
    EDM

Thanks

LMAO. This qualifies as news?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

Great, one more distraction for them while they are behind the wheel of a minivan hurtling down the road at 80 miles per hour.

Thanks

That baby sure has big hands and doesn't he mind his mother looking over his shoulder while he's typing a text?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

girls are better drivers than guys...
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post

girls are better drivers than guys...
    Hahahahaha
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Hahahahaha
    What's that supposed to mean? It's proven
    That's why insurance for women is cheaper than for men...

Thanks

They have less (expensive) accidents but only because they drive so slowly.
    You will learn one day.

Thanks

Haha. If stereotypes are true then I have the worst of odds against me when I finally start driving.
    1) I'm female
    2) I'm asian
    3) I'm a teenager

That baby sure has big hands and doesn't he mind his mother looking over his shoulder while he's typing a text?
    The baby's married too. Almost beat you to it Mr. Confuciousmobil

Thanks

You can solve 1/3 by not driving until you are 20 - then you will no longer be a teenager...

Thanks

Then how am I supposed to get to school? My house is 2 miles away from my school with lots of hills in between...
    Plus my sister's going to college next year... and my parents never have "time" to bring me anywhere...

And besides, I'm looking forward to driving as soon as possible Only 5 months and 11 days until I get my permit!

Thanks

Haha. If stereotypes are true then I have the worst of odds against me when I finally start driving.
    1) I'm female
    2) I'm asian
    3) I'm a teenager
    :
    oh crap, and you live in california! hopefully not in the east bay!

Thanks

lol. nah I'm south

Thanks

lol. nah I'm south
    if i were to guess, i would have guessed south bay. dunno why

Thanks

ahah. LA/OC status

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nice nursies!

Thanks

And besides, I'm looking forward to driving as soon as possible Only 5 months and 11 days until I get my permit!
    Here in the UK you can't get a licence until you are 17 - then you can't drive alone until you pass your tests. It's still far to young, but, heh, what can you do>

Thanks

We can get our permits at 15 1/2 after we pass the test. But with the permit you have to drive with a licensed adult over 25 years old & we need at least 6 (I think) hours with a driving instructor (but my parents are over-protective so we're going for more hours). Then after you have your permit for at least 6 months you have to go take the written & driving test to get your license. And then you can't drive anyone without a licensed 25+ year old in the car for at least a year & you can't drive past.. 11 I think. Some people wanted to change the law so that you can't get your license until your 18 but a lot of people need to drive for school stuff like community service, sports, clubs, etc.

In France they can't drive until 18

Thanks

Here in the UK you can't get a licence until you are 17 - then you can't drive alone until you pass your tests. It's still far to young, but, heh, what can you do>
    here in california, we give illegal immigrants licenses

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast