+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Time for Apple and AT&T to See Other People?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Time for Apple and AT&T to See Other People?

images via Apple, AT&T

PC World is out with a great article this weekend that asks a question we've all posed to ourselves and to others: isn't it about time for Apple and AT&T to see other people?

An "open marriage" is how writer Ian Paul puts it.

Even though many people are pouring on the hate for AT&T, the still love the iPhone, according to reports. So if the cellular network is the problem, hereís a suggestion for Apple thatís guaranteed to keep at least some U.S. customers happy: Cancel iPhone exclusivity with AT&T.
    As we're seeing over time, iPhone customers are like children who eventually get what they want after whining about it long enough. As once such loudmouth brat, I can attest to the power of this approach. But since we're adults, we shouldn't have to demand anything for a protracted period of time before the service (that we pay good money for) begins to seriously acknowledge such entreaties.

This summer has been an interesting one for Apple customers. From the apparent evolution of the approval process for new apps that we really want, to the emergence of signs that greater background functionality in on the horizon (thanks to Loopt), more and more folks are starting to anticipate this revolution born of revolt coming to AT&T's relationship with Apple.

The best possible move for Apple to make with the iPhone today is to seriously address the source of most customer complaints: dropped calls, weak service, and data loading slower than molasses. Cool apps and background functionality aside, we need a phone that works smoothly and consistently.

With a second -- or even third -- carrier, iPhone customers would be able to choose their own network, and the current load on AT&Tís infrastructure would be reduced. This could improve service for iPhone customers who stick with AT&T, as well as those who migrate to other networks.
    Although Apple and AT&T may not budge overnight on their exclusivity posturing, I think it's a safe bet to speculate that the "open marriage" alluded to is an inevitability not merely a possibility. And the longer they wait to give us what we want, the more frequently Apple's "children" will continue to throw emboldened tantrums.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I hope they do not break up! Epic Couple

Thanks

Ok...

Just noticed its like Pac Man!
    Last edited by Zeal; 09-05-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

lol well i have to hand it to ATT,
    they might not always have the greatest service
    but the iphone did like but hump their network...
    If i helped you, clicking thanks would be nice

Thanks

I've got no beefs with AT&T, honestly. I've got great service at home and work and everywhere in between. Besides the MMS and tethering which i never really cared much about they are perfect for me.

It doesn't work so good at my friends and girlfriends house, though. But neither does verizon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think a lot of the scorn for ATT is fanboydom and a lot of it is just populism (bash the one its fashionable to bash)...........I have had Verizon and T-Mobile and made the switch to ATT for iphone with the original phone back in 2007......v.few dropped calls, almost never a problem with 3G connection speed......i understand some of this might be just location related but even with regards to customer service and pricing etc,its hardly been the headache it was with other companies.....

I have never seen anyone else use their phone for the internet as much as iphone users do.....not even the new g-phone,palm-pre,storm customers seem to use barely a fraction of what i(and an average iphone user)do.......I would rather give ATT credit for keeping the connectivity running smoothly

I remember when the iphone first came out, ATT used to send a detailed paper bill with each and every instance of internet usage , most people had bills running into 100 of pages......now, i dont think ATT was aware of the extent to which iphone would be used for browsing and were caught by surprise......from their side, they were trying to provide excellent service by giving you a detailed log of your usage but all the fanboys and non-specific-ATT-haters made such a childish noise about how 'stupid ATT was to be sending such long bills........give the guys a break will you s-jobs-lickers..!!
    I have had my phone jailbroken and could easily switch carriers but I choose not to. For the most part, ATT has done all the right things to keep me happy.iPhone as a device is just far too superlative I understand but that shouldn't take away the credit from ATT for providing what has been a pretty hassle-free and smooth service so far( esp since the alternatives, t-mobile,verizon,sprint etc are not quite stellar themselves and each has their own relative strengths and (quite obvious) weaknesses ).

On only a slightly related note, U-verse has been such an outstanding experience compared to all the comcast direct-tv drama i had to endure......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nofixedadderess For This Useful Post:

iRoach74 (09-06-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope that ATT goes to other carriers in the US, but not for the same reasons as most. I want to see other companies struggle with the onslaught of contracts and data demand and then people will see how tough it is to get the infrastructures to work.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This really would take apple to the next level. They are single handedly taking over the smartphone market. Att hit a goldmine having the iphone as an exclusive. Its not smart though for apple, as some people have horrible service with att, or just don't like their service, I for one hate their customer service. If the iphone was official on other carriers, it would make life soo much easier, plus with the right pricing, apple will see soooo much more profit.

Imagine if verizon, sprint, and tmobile carried apple branded phones... 90% of the US would have an iphone!

I agree with the guy above me... it'll be fun to see tmobile support a full customer base of iphones, but then again over 50% of the iphone owners i know, already hate att and have unlocked their phone and are already using it on other carriers, even unsupported by apple, we feel its still better than att. I mean i can call tmobile at 3:30AM be connected with someone within 2 minutes, tell them about my iphone, and my internet stopped working, and they'll try to help. try calling att and tell them about your g1 that suddenly the internet stopped working... they'd laugh and try to sell you an iphone or blackberry.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 09-05-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't get the AT&T hate at all. I live in northern New Jersey and always had great service with them, even though in my area you can't get great service with any of the major four carriers. I've dropped a call TWICE since I had my 3G since last november and despite my bedroom being a dead zone At&t has really been top notch.

No complaints from me =]

Thanks

Since 2001, the only problems I've had with AT&T(Cingular) has been previous phones' WinMo update delays, the new MMS delay, and a SMALL handful of days where they were having some network issues. I've always had great reception, no bill errors, and decent deals on phones.

I don't see that they have any more issues than any other carrier. As already stated, I also think a lot of it is just that it's fun/popular to complain.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

the only network even remotely close to AT&T is Verizon. So its not like they're too many options out there. the carriers are just playing catch up with the technology of cell phones. i don't know which carrier you'd prefer over AT&T, but i'm completely happy with it. maybe if you live out in the boons the service coverage isn't as great, who knows.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i dont think any other network could have handled the network load either.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default people are stupid.
    it dosnt matter where the iphone goes. if it switches carriers unless they have been secretly updating to handle the iphone before they even know they can have it, their networks will crash just as bad as att did. the iphone at the very least uses 10 times the data of an average smart phone and thats not even for us heavy users. i personaly use like 300 mb a day. when mms comes its going to get hit that much harder. att is the only one capable of knowing what the demand is and even though they cant keep up sometimes. they have the plans to be there this year. if any of you read about att making massive improvements a while back you would know. anyways my point is f off and quit bashing att. they have done the best they can for how unexpected the iphone took off and taxed the system. ill be the one laughing my butt off when my friend on verizon finally gets the iphone he wants so bad and cant do anything with it.

Thanks

Opening up the iPhone to other carriers in the US would mean apple would have to make a seperate phone for EVERY carrier.
    T-mobile uses different 3G
    all the others use different technologies altogether.

BUT I do think opening it up would make more sense since some areas don't have AT&T network at all and perfect T-mobile/Verizon network and vice versa. I don't think someone should have to choose between having cell service or the iPhone...
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    This really would take apple to the next level. They are single handedly taking over the smartphone market. Att hit a goldmine having the iphone as an exclusive. Its not smart though for apple, as some people have horrible service with att, or just don't like their service, I for one hate their customer service. If the iphone was official on other carriers, it would make life soo much easier, plus with the right pricing, apple will see soooo much more profit.

Imagine if verizon, sprint, and tmobile carried apple branded phones... 90% of the US would have an iphone!

I agree with the guy above me... it'll be fun to see tmobile support a full customer base of iphones, but then again over 50% of the iphone owners i know, already hate att and have unlocked their phone and are already using it on other carriers, even unsupported by apple, we feel its still better than att. I mean i can call tmobile at 3:30AM be connected with someone within 2 minutes, tell them about my iphone, and my internet stopped working, and they'll try to help. try calling att and tell them about your g1 that suddenly the internet stopped working... they'd laugh and try to sell you an iphone or blackberry.
    As stated below the phone would have to be redesigned for each carrier. Different 3G frequencies etc. Hardware changes... We'll see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by brandon250r View Post
    i dont think any other network could have handled the network load either.
    I could not have said it better myself and i was a t-mo customer since they were qualcomm

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Opening up the iPhone to other carriers in the US would mean apple would have to make a seperate phone for EVERY carrier.
    T-mobile uses different 3G
    all the others use different technologies altogether.

BUT I do think opening it up would make more sense since some areas don't have AT&T network at all and perfect T-mobile/Verizon network and vice versa. I don't think someone should have to choose between having cell service or the iPhone...
    ^^^THANK YOU^^^
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If they would just make the coverage better on major interstates and at least have consistent EDGE networks in cities that don't have more than a million people, I'd stay. But the fact that they continually tell me that they don't guarantee that my $500 iPhone (yes I paid that much because I wasn't eligible for early upgrade and I've owned all three versions) will work anywhere but out in broad daylight standing still is absolutely unacceptable. Absolutely unacceptable. They have no problem taking the money I pay them every month, yet they release BS condicending videos with some dickhead that has his head cocked to one side making excuses about why they can't have a decent network, and treating every single one of their customers like children rather than adults and not admitting they are have the worst coverage of any provider and not coming straight out and saying it. I would take them at their word if they had a real company representative come out and say 'we screwed up, we're sorry and we're busting our asses to fix it', not some fake *** retard called 'Seth the blogger guy'. Screw him and screw AT&T for not treating us as adults. Verizon has no problem everywhere I've ever lived or been. WTF is AT&Ts problem?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    I agree with the guy above me... it'll be fun to see tmobile support a full customer base of iphones
    That's why the only allow edge for the iPhone. I talked to the TMobile tech yesterday ( helping my brother in law setup this iPhone ) and asked him why they won't allow the 3G for the iPhone and he told me because TMobile can not handle the load that the iPhone puts on the network. He also told me that they were going to add support for the iPhone's on their 3G but after doing some tests it actually crashed the network. So as you can see the iPhone demands more resource from networks and to keep up with those demands is pretty tough and costly. So what Sprint claims they have the fastest 3G/4G network let see them handle the demands of the iPhone. Ya Verizon may have a bigger market in the US but I doubt their network would be able to handle the demand of the iPhone, that's why they charge so much right now to customers for the data plan. Imagine the cost of your data plan if you did have iPhone. You would have to get a loan just to own the iPhone. Remember most of the phone's on the market have washed out browser so it takes very little to run them and less data transfer compared to the iPhone browser. All in all the iPhone has some blame for ATT sluggish network.

Thanks

I guess Im in the minority. I live in central New Jersey & had Verizon for 2 years until I got my iPhone in Jan. & AT&T blows Verizon out of the water, quailty wise. Like I said, Ive had the iPhone 9 months & my next dropped call will be the first. I think alot of the complaining comes from people who are locked into contracts with companies that dont have a phone that can even compete with the iPhone. ::coughVERIZONcough::

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

There is so much ignorance brimming in this thread..

The iPhone doesn't operate on T-Mobile's 3G because it doesn't support their 3G band. HELLO people
    XFaega
    Wow! You and the "tech" are gullible. To operate on T-Mobile 3G you HAVE to have the 1700mhz band, and the iPhone does NOT. If you think the iPhone uses more data than a Blackberry or one of the Android phones can you're sadly mistaken.
    Making radio changes so that the iPhone can operate on Verizon and Sprint (Which are both WAY better than AT&T - whoever said AT&T is behind Verizon in 3G coverage or coverage for that matter is smoking crack, not even talking about network reliability) isn't as hard as anyone makes it out to be.
    Last edited by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL; 09-05-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Lovely

Not

iPhone? More like MyPhone dillonsmith9147's Avatar
    Thanks

Dont get me wrong i like AT&T but when i have ZERO bars at my house and 3g no where near as apposed to if i went to verizon i could have 4-5 bars everywhere close plus 3g speeds, i think ill goto vzw in '11 if they have an iphone or something better or equally as cool

+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast