Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Life's a Pitch for New iPhone App "I Am T-Pain"

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Life's a Pitch for New iPhone App "I Am T-Pain"

Image via Venture Beat

Don't even get me started on which artists I think should use this cool new iPhone app. I'd love to name names, but the pesky threat of slander is just too difficult to bear. I'll leave it to Jay-Z to continue picking on the proponents of this emergent technology.

After what was for a time an uncertain future, Auto-Tune, the popular software that alters the pitch of a performer’s voice, is coming to the iPhone.

From The New York Times:

An application called “I Am T-Pain,” after the rapper who most recently popularized the Auto-Tune software with a liberal use of it in his songs, transforms the iPhone into an auto-tune microphone. The application was developed as a joint collaboration between T-Pain, Antares Audio Technologies, the company that produces the software that creates the vocal effect, and Smule, a start-up that develops applications for the iPhone.
    Prior to its path to iPhone, Auto Tune has been on a tear in the music industry. Jamie Foxx used it for "Blame It On The Alcohol" and so did Kanye West for "Heartless." Some have called the effect a contemporary version of the Talkbox effect that emerged in old school r&b. And although a lot of people will probably have fun with the new app and enjoy it immensely, Auto Tune is not without its fair share of staunch critics. Jay-Z’s latest single, “D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune),” unleashes a tirade against the software, but even more so against the recording artists who heavily rely on its capabilities. This summer, Jay-Z's video for this particular song even depicted Auto-Tune boxes exploding in flames.

Gee, how do you really feel, Jay-Z?

A few famous rappers aside, Auto Tune is poised for further popularity. “This is our latest experiment,” said one of the co-founders at Smule. “There’s no shortage of celebrity apps in the App Store, but the feeling was that a lot of them didn’t capture the essence of the artist.”

The application turns the iPhone into an Auto-Tune microphone, allowing users to sing alongside popular T-Pain tracks. “I Am T-Pain” comes bundled with five songs, including the radio hits “Bartender” and “Sprung.” Players will also have the option of buying more songs via the application to digitally harmonize along with. In addition, players can create and record songs using a “freestyle” Auto-Tune effect, which can be uploaded to the Web and sent to friends via e-mail, Facebook and MySpace.
    In case you're wondering, "I Am T-Pain" is a tremendous bargain relative to the Auto-Tune software itself. "I Am T-Pain" runs $2.99. Auto Tune is a whopping $399.

Although I'm not a gambling man, I will still go out on a limb and wager that "I Am T-Pain" might quickly become one of the most popular music apps for the iPhone.

Our deepest condolences to Jay-Z.

I have bought this app and it is great, I did post a new thread about it but this obviously will take over now.

But again it is a fun and amazing app.........

Although I'm not a big fan of AT, I've always found these amazing and funny. I didn't know the app was real! Looks like it will be fun to play with.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOYN-6gdRE]YouTube - Auto-Tune the News #8: dragons. geese. Michael Vick. (ft. T-Pain)[/ame]

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dash-2 For This Useful Post:

deruk (09-05-2009), Imahottguy (09-04-2009), river0 (09-05-2009), santaf (09-04-2009), soto806 (09-04-2009), stelliejames (09-05-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Dash-2 View Post
    Although I'm not a big fan of AT, I've always found these amazing and funny. I didn't know the app was real! Looks like it will be fun to play with.
    YouTube - Auto-Tune the News #8: dragons. geese. Michael Vick. (ft. T-Pain)

That is funny

I am in the music business and us real musicians do not approve of auto tune, if you can't sing then simply stay away from the microphone
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

I am in the music listening business and if you feel bothered by auto-tune then you're probably not pretty good to begin with.

It's a gimmicky fun tool people use and it just happens to be in the spotlight. Learn to either enjoy it or ignore it.

EDIT: Auto-Tune the News owns, I can't believe I was beaten to it.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 09-04-2009 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh wow. It has come to this...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Isnt this the same as a vocorder
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I am in the music listening business and if you feel bothered by auto-tune then you're probably not pretty good to begin with.

It's a gimmicky fun tool people use and it just happens to be in the spotlight. Learn to either enjoy it or ignore it.

EDIT: Auto-Tune the News owns, I can't believe I was beaten to it.
    I don't sing I produce and I appreciate people who can actually sinG and have talent
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

Thanks

People that can sing still use this program, it touches up their vocals. Jus like as if a sing got their vocals mastered they jus decided to go about it with auto tune.

But anyway, i think the app is cool, i just bought it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Auto-Tune can be a great tool in the studio for good singers too. Instead of doing 5 takes of the same song to get every tuning correct, do 3, save the vocal chords, help them out with a little auto-tune and track more songs. It's good use of studio time and the producer and engineer's nerves. Not every paying customer in the studio should even be in the studio. You gonna turn them down because they aren't the best singer or just use a little auto-tune?

I appreciate it when the auto shop uses their laser guided machines to align my tires. Don't just smack it with a hammer over and over again till it looks about right. I also like using a tuner to tune my bass and guitars. Sure I could do it by ear, but it saves a ton of time. Just use the meter.

On the flip side, I sure do appreciate a good singer!!

Thanks

So the infamous Auto-Tone makes it to the iPhone lol. I bet Jay-Z is pissed! He'll probably write a song about it lol.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by Dash-2 View Post
    YouTube - Auto-Tune the News #8: dragons. geese. Michael Vick. (ft. T-Pain)
    Well, that was probably one of the funniest, if not the funniest, youtube video I have ever seen.
    You're getting thanked for that. I've heard of the auto-tune guy before, but holy s**t

Has anyone heard Jay-Z's new song? "DOIA, STFUTP!" ? lol
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 09-04-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Lmfao @ this dude complaining about auto-tune. Ever heard a Britney Spears album? EVERY little piece of her vocals are pitch corrected and adjusted accordingly. If you were 'in the industry' you would know that everything that's put out in the industry goes through pitch correcting steps during the mix. I'm speaking on behalf of all singers, not rap.

wow this app is WAYYYYYY to much fun
    though i didnt pay for it, i think its DEF worth the 3 bucks...

im having way more fun with this then i should

Hah I bought this it's amazing

Great, so now we'll have even more annoying auto-tune videos and such taking over the internet...

Oh, who am I kidding? I'll probably give it a try.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

as an audio engineer, I find it very funny that this "tool" has become such a trend in todays popular music. HOWEVER, I do not take offense to it, hell, Cher used it in the 80's! Its nothing new, its just now mainstream enough because of t-pain that the fans know what it is. but as for the app, its actually pretty cool, LOL
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 

I must be a moron. I can't seem to get it to work. Everything it records sounds the same when played back. The instructions are fairly weak. Again, I may just be a moron. So if anyone wants to help me out, that would be cool

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodspatter View Post
    I must be a moron. I can't seem to get it to work. Everything it records sounds the same when played back. The instructions are fairly weak. Again, I may just be a moron. So if anyone wants to help me out, that would be cool
    LOL, don't ask me I'm not going to be picking this one up.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast