+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Approves Vonage App... and Vonage Seems Just as Surprised as the Rest of Us

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple Approves Vonage App... and Vonage Seems Just as Surprised as the Rest of Us

Image via Vonage

Apple just hasn't been acting itself lately.

From Spotify obtaining access to the App Store with its "competing" and "duplicate" streaming music application, to Rockstar Games getting the green light to bring "Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown" (vulgarities intact) to the iPhone, the Apple approval process has seemingly been turned on its head.

And today we can throw yet another such example onto the pile of head-scratching developments. It turns out that Apple has now approved Vonage, a VoIP service that will be making its way to the App Store shortly . For now, the executives at Vonage are said to be thrilled with the development and, at present, working with Apple to remove a few bug from their supposedly nifty little app.

From Bloomberg News:

Vonage Holdings Corp., the New Jersey Internet phone carrier, climbed as much as 36 percent in extended trading after it said Apple Inc. approved its mobile- phone application for the iPhone and iPod Touch devices. Vonage is testing the application and will give details on its release later, the Holmdel, New Jersey-based company said today in a statement. The company isn’t providing details on what the application does for “competitive reasons,” spokesman Michael Zema said in an e-mail. Sales of the application may help make up for the more than 100,000 customers Vonage has lost in the past year as subscribers opted for discounted digital-phone service from cable-television companies.
    Indeed, Apple has a lot of people wondering what's behind the reversal of yet another longstanding policy. AT&T, in fact, recently released a statement posturing their company as unwilling to help any other business that is developing VoIP apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Although the move is puzzling to some, the forthcoming app is a welcome development for Vonage customers. For now, however, there's no word on how long it will take for the app to actually make its way into the App Store. Vonage says they are currently beta testing the app with its availability to be announced at a later date.

Kind of makes you wonder about Google Voice Mobile, doesn't it? After all, wasn't GVoice rejected because it "duplicated features"?

Vonage must be a "special exception"... or something.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Weird............
    but cool to have it for me because the rate is quite cheap to call malaysia compare to other voip provider....
    Last edited by algojobathosai; 09-02-2009 at 05:06 AM.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

Thanks

Perhaps the heat from the FCC has given Apple the "incentive" they needed to be a little more lenient in the app approval process. Hopefully this trend will continue, but I for one have my doubts.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

So they'll approve this, but not Google Voice... that's stupid.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

These new app approvals are because the FCC came knocking on Apple's door. The last thing Apple want's is the government snooping around in their business.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    amazing I use Vonage when I'm overseas during the academic year in Poland to keep in touch with NY this would be a real convenience!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

No GV but Vonage... Doesnt make much sense to me...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

This is a little game Apple is playing to combat the FCC.."Hey FCC, look, we let voip services have apps in our store, we rejected GV for other reasons."<---yeah right
    Last edited by Melech518; 09-02-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    This is a little game Apple is playing to combat the FCC.."Hey FCC, look, we let voip services have apps in or store, we rejected GV for other reasons."<---yeah right
    I think your right, especially seeing as google voice would have been far more successful then vonage, to apple its the lesser of the two evils

Green Apple
    Thanks

Could it be because Palm is working with Google instead of fighting it? Plus the Apple execs that jumped ship to Palm?

Thanks

Could it be because Palm is working with Google instead of fighting it? Plus the Apple execs that jumped ship to Palm?

i second this

Thanks

So whats next ? Does Google push there app again to see if Apple will now allow it now ? Or take it to the next level (court-if they can) ?

Thanks

Yay Its about time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Watch they will pull it in a few days or by the start of next week. It probably slipped through like many other apps lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Anyone know if the call quality will be better than Skype? I currently use that because in the neighborhood I live in I get 1 bar buuuuuuut they say I don't sound too good. Sounds a little robotic.

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

.... AT&T, in fact, recently released a statement posturing their company as unwilling to help any other business that is developing VoIP apps for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
    This is exactly why the government should investigate AT&T.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i bet apple is starting to be less worried about at&t's opinion its almost time for that contract to run out

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with the thoughts of the FCC. Apple obviously has a lot of heat not only from the government, but from the public eye too. And it's a lot like the applications that were removed from the App Store that had nudity in them as soon as the public caught wind of it. Apple is all about appearance, so if Apple APPEARS like it's letting applications like Vonage in, then the FCC and the public will put less heat on that issue. It's all a matter of publicity, it's how Apple got so high up on the totem poll in the beginning. Well that and their amazing MacBooks
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It doesn't mention that it'll work over cell data, so to be honest I would be shocked if it will. If it doesn't work over cell data (without JB'ing + 3G Unstrictor/VoIPover3G), then it's just like Skype and the dozen or so VoIP apps that already are on the AppStore.

So, my hunch: Move along, nothing to see here. Unless you're a Vonage customer, then this is a treat.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 09-02-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added one phrase
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think it has more to do with Google being a direct competitor on multiple fronts now (phone, OS) than the FCC inquiry.

Google is a threat to Apple. Vonage doesn't compete and thus is not.

The FCC may be a small factor, but don't get carried away.