Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: China Mobile maybe getting iPhone as well

Thanks

Question China Mobile maybe getting iPhone as well

Looks like Apple ain't satisfied with the China Unicom deal. In fact, after announcing as non-exclusive, they are already trying their luck with China Mobile again - and why not, it's the biggest carrier in China - the country with a mobile subscriber base of more than 700 Million, more than US and Europe combined!

Recently, a China Mobile spokesperson confirmed that they were in talks with Apple to bring it's version to China, crushing China Unicom's every hope to gain some market share with the iPhone's launch.

China Mobile is definitely the dominating carrier in the country, with a subscriber base of 475 million (more than double China Unicom's), and there's no doubt that Apple first tried their luck with them - but the carrier's greed to take full control over the AppStore doesn't do real justice to Apple's thirst for the same. Surely they don't want an AppStore managed by the carrier with it taking a major share of profit away from Apple... Moreover, the carrier's 3G technology didn't play well with the iPhone's 3G hardware, which caused further complexities in the deal.

Though China Unicom will be the first to offer the iPhone in the country, but it surely won't get any major success, even with an early launch if China Mobile gets into the competition considering the former' relatively smaller subscriber base.

[PCWorld via AppleInsider]

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sayam View Post

they are already trying their luck with China Mobile again - and why not, it's the biggest carrier in China - the country with a mobile subscriber base of more than 700 Million, more than US and Europe combined!
    WOAH
    thats bonkers
    if this really goes down i REALLY need iStock
    (100 posts :-D)

^Congrats....now start posting more

I think this is great news. I am very excited to see what plays out and I do love watching my stock go up, even though its down now
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Banned
    Thanks

interesting article on the iphone situation in the U.S.

Is AT&T losing its grip on the iPhone? - CNN.com

Thanks

If China Mobile gets the iPhone Apple is going is going to make a KILLING on top of the fortune they already have.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Thanks

China supposedly already has plenty of people with unlocked iPhones- people want iPhones. Now it's coming to two carriers officially there. They will make a killing...

that's nice but i think apple won't be that popular most people in china go for nokia befor an iphone
    that's what i think

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Playin it right apple... Props!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Default who cares?
    i know eight people already commented, but honestly, who cares?

Thanks

People in China and Apple.

oohh and Melech.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    People in China and Apple.

oohh and Melech.
    And me!

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like this, and the international precedent that Apple is trying to set to give AT&T nightmares. AT&T has maybe a year at best before what's happening in China will happen here. An iPhone on Verizon, and possibly even Sprint, will completely slaughter AT&Ts churn rate, as a lot of people here in the states have had crappy experiences with the AT&T network. And don't forget AT&T's customer service, which is very hit or miss depending on the rep you get. I'm currently on AT&T and I'm happy with their service in my area, but I have heard stories from others and I've gotten crappy reps on the phone as well.

I'm hoping that AT&T sees this as the writing on the wall and starts dropping its prices for the data package and their rate plans. Once the iPhone is no longer exclusive, that's pretty much the only thing that will keep people who've had negative experiences with AT&T's service from leaving to other carriers. And from what I've heard, that's not an insignificant number...

How does China Unicom getting an exclusive deal on the iPhone in China have any bearing on AT&T's exclusive deal in the USA?
    That will not change, if anything it is made stronger by yet another exclusive deal.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

^I'm 90% sure the iPhone's not going to Verizon or Sprint. Sorry to burst your bubble
    Doubt it's going to T-mobile either because of the 3G differences. AT&T is the only carrier with the right specs...

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    How does China Unicom getting an exclusive deal on the iPhone in China have any bearing on AT&T's exclusive deal in the USA?
    That will not change, if anything it is made stronger by yet another exclusive deal.
    You know us Americans. The world revolves around us - duhh!
    Last edited by angiepangie; 09-02-2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Only 90% ?
    Shouldn't that be 99.99% ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sorry, did you read the article? It's about how China Unicom's exclusivity deal is in jeopardy, and how screwed they would be if China Mobile got the rights to distribute iPhones to their customer base.

I personally see a pretty strong resemblance to the situation AT&T would be in if Apple decided to end it's exclusivity with AT&T say...June of next year when they most likely release another iteration of iPhone hardware. One that might have CDMA and LTE capabilities.

Not saying that this is happening for sure, but think how much money Apple would make if it kicked AT&T to the curb?

And I'm not saying that Apple is doing this specifically to scare AT&T, but if I was AT&T I would take notice of what Apple is doing in other countries. Which is making a **** ton of money by branching out to multiple carriers.
    Last edited by Kiserai; 09-02-2009 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Opps! No, I thought it was another article.
    Apple only have multiple carriers in countries where they have to - the vast majority of countries have sole providers and the USA is the last place they will go to another carrier as they all use competing standards!

Thanks

Only 90% ?
    Shouldn't that be 99.99% ?
    It normally was but I got to thinking that all these people (some much smarter than me) thought the same thing, there must be SOME reason. I highly doubt it though...

Not many people are smarter than you.
    people will always speculate about what they want - but it's not going to happen.

Thanks

A lot of people are smarter than me.
    That fact came as a slap in the face in my math class last year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast