+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: China Mobile maybe getting iPhone as well

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by confucious Not many people are smarter than you. people will always speculate about what they want - but it's not going to happen. Why are so many
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Not many people are smarter than you.
    people will always speculate about what they want - but it's not going to happen.
    Why are so many people so doubtful that this will happen? If a little R&D money (or maybe not so little, but for what Apple's already making...) could double or triple the amount of people that can use your phone in the USA, why wouldn't you do it?

It just makes sense, and it eventually WILL happen. Other phones have done similar things. RAZR V3 anyone?

Thanks

Better at maths does not mean smarter (and it's maths not math! ) - even I'm good at maths!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Maths?! Uh... are you feeling alright today?
    Yeah but it hurt That class was my first B...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiserai View Post
    Why are so many people so doubtful that this will happen? If a little R&D money (or maybe not so little, but for what Apple's already making...) could double or triple the amount of people that can use your phone in the USA, why wouldn't you do it?

It just makes sense, and it eventually WILL happen. Other phones have done similar things. RAZR V3 anyone?
    Because, it just doesn't make any sense. ALL iPhones produced are GSM and Verizon is CDMA.
    Hate to break it to you but the world does not revolve around America.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Good thing i dun live in china, i can't live without my iPhone =P

Thanks

Plenty of people in China have iPhones - they're just not available through an official carrier.
    So you can go and live there if you want...

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    Because, it just doesn't make any sense. ALL iPhones produced are GSM and Verizon is CDMA.
    Hate to break it to you but the world does not revolve around America.
    Check this out...

CDMA Subscriber Base Closes in On Half a Billion | Reuters

Are you telling me that Apple will forever ignore a market with almost half a billion people worldwide?

If Apple developed a CDMA capable iPhone and got even a 1% market share amongst CDMA subscribers worldwide, that's 4.8 million iPhones sold.

If you believe what you read at:

Apple makes big bucks profit per iPhone 3G S | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

Then 4.8 million iPhone 3GS models @ roughly $400.00 profit per iPhone 3GS is 1.92 BILLION dollars. That isn't chump change, no matter how you look at it. And 1% market share wouldn't take them long, nor would it probably stop there.

If you still think it doesn't make sense for Apple to make a CDMA iPhone, you're living in a fantasy world where companies don't want to make money. But since this is the real world, it will eventually happen. Maybe not today, maybe not this year, but it will eventually happen.

Thanks

Apple has an exclusive deal with AT&T - they value the exclusive deals more than they would value Verizon who turned apple away in the first place.

To say that I would be surprised if they went to Verizon any time soon would be an understatement.

IMHO it will not happen.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL @ valuing exclusive deals. The only one that values the exclusive deal is AT&T. What does Apple gain by having it on the worlds most unreliable 3G network? Having the network being so bad that it outshines any other flaws?

Lovely

Not

Thanks

Apple have signed exclusive deals in just about every country where they are allowed to. Do you think that is by accident?

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

You know, wider availability would hurt sales. That's why they're sticking with AT&T. Apple doesn't want to lose customers!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait..

Anyway you try to hash it the iPhone being exclusive is only a real benefit for the carrier it's exclusive to. They're probably making more money off of each iPhone sold because of the exclusivity but that could easily be made up for in volume.

Lovely

Not

Thanks

The customers are also benefiting because of the subsidized prices.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12