+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown" Coming to the iPhone, But Will It Work?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Image via Rockstar Games Gamers take heed. Rockstar Games ( the wizards behind the Grand Theft Auto series) are bringing Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars to the iPhone and iPod
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default "Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown" Coming to the iPhone, But Will It Work?

Image via Rockstar Games

Gamers take heed. Rockstar Games ( the wizards behind the Grand Theft Auto series) are bringing Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars to the iPhone and iPod Touch later this year.

As reported this morning on Afterdawn.com:

CTW was released for the Nintendo DS platform earlier this year and has been announced for the Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP), set to be released in October. It will reportedly be available for iPhone sometime this fall.
    My first reaction was, needless to say, one of excitement. But along with other fans of the Grand Theft Auto brand, I'm starting to wonder exactly how Chinatown Wars will work - more specifically - how it will comfortably play on the iPhone's touchscreen and motion controls. Because Rockstar hasn't revealed details on the game play for Chinatown Wars, many are instead contemplating other comments made by the developers - most notably, that there will be some textures that will look low-res in comparison to the PSP version of the game.

Rockstar has also hinted that controlling Huang Lee (the lead character) will differ from what most gamers are used to in terms of other handheld gaming devices. It appears that an on-screen analog stick (to be controlled by the thumb) will navigate Lee throughout the game.

Also a head-scratcher today is how the game is going to be permitted to keep its trademark vulgarity. One would expect the famous content of a Grand Theft Auto game would stand diametrically opposed to Apple's generally strict policies governing inappropriate material trickling into the App Store. There's no shortage of apps that Apple has denied as a result of this firm stance.

Overall, its poised to be a good end to 2009 for Rockstar Games. Following Grand Theft Auto, Rockstar's music-making game "Beaterator" will also make a bee-line for the iPhone and iPod Touch this fall, further building upon the developer's relationship with Apple.

Beaterator is a title developed by Rockstar and producer Timbaland. Developed for the PlayStation Portable platform, the game is set to be released at the end of the month, with the iPhone port coming this fall. No details on pricing were revealed.

Thanks

1st - I'd buy it... as long as its not too expensive. Its the kinda of game that will take up as much time as you let it.lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

I want this!

Thanks

shweeeet
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh, just got to ask............ Wonder if it will work with 3G and 2G?

Think I might have to buy me a 3Gs if it don't! Not!

Thanks

This could be good considering how well I think they did with assasins creed but I'll probably end up looking like liberty city/vice city but if it's 9.99 that would b a good deal 20 would be too much and they probably go for 30
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think they will be able to pull it off as long as they program it to take full advantage of the power of the 3gs which means no for 2g or itouch.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Will it work? Why wouldn't it? It doesn't need to be a direct port from the DS version. Hell the bottom screen on the DS is a gimmick at best in most games. I don't think we have been given any reason to assume that chinatown wars will be a bad experience on the iphone.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really hope that Rockstar games takes a moment to realise that on Screen controls = Garbage and that now that the API is there for external devices to talk to the Iphone they design a sweet add on controller (with extended battery) to plug in and provide "DS" style controls to the iphone a nice example of this is iControlPad - Add real gaming controls to your iPhone!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stargaze For This Useful Post:

mattharris85 (09-01-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoHartt View Post
    1st - I'd buy it... as long as its not too expensive. Its the kinda of game that will take up as much time as you let it.lol
    I first have to say, WTF is with all the "1st" comments again. I thought this died out. No one cares if you are the first one to comment. You just look like an idiot for saying it.

10th! Not!

I would project that A. This app will be in the 9.99-14.99 price range. Secondly it will eventually fall to the same fate as GV and be removed and then hosted on Cydia. IMHO I believe with the growing popularity of Cydia the game would be better off in the Cydia store where it could remain vulgar and true to its character. After all, GTO without profanity, vulgarity, and gore well just isnt really the same...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Melech, you are probably right but, a successful big name game would change the game. As far as the vulgarity, there are apps that have been on the app store (not sure if they're still there) that had nudity. NSFW apps.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Yeah I remember that, But they removed those apps as soon as news of them arose lol
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

14th!- i love it, can't wait, hope they keep the vulgarity of it, gta just isn't the same without being able to f*ck a prostitute or visit a strip club. i believ what melech is saying, that the game would be better off distributed through cydia.
    Last edited by smuggler; 09-01-2009 at 10:02 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Image via Rockstar Games
    My first reaction was, needless to say, one of excitement. But along with other fans of the Grand Theft Auto brand, I'm starting to wonder exactly how Chinatown Wars will work - more specifically - how it will comfortably play on the iPhone's touchscreen and motion controls. Because Rockstar hasn't revealed details on the game play for Chinatown Wars, many are instead contemplating other comments made by the developers - most notably, that there will be some textures that will look low-res in comparison to the PSP version of the game.
    Well we should remember that we were all skeptical when chinatown wars came out for the DS, everyone was like "Thats going to control terribly!". And even though it didn't sell well that was an amazing game that I thoroughly enjoyed. Rockstar has earned my faith and I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt this time around.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Exciting news. Looking forward to some screenies

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Car Jack Street has been out for a while now and is from the makers of the original GTA.

Thanks
    sickkkkkk@%^#$%@^&*()_(*&^

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i dont get why they didnt put the real gta out. if gameloft with gangstar could do it, i'm sure rockstar could.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Asar For This Useful Post:

Cmoney954 (09-01-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

i wouldnt mind getting this i love GTA