+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What Do Samsung's Plans mean for the App World?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default What Do Samsung's Plans mean for the App World?

Image via Samsung.com

Rooted in the belief that competition in the app marketplace is good for everyone, a lot of people are excited this week about Samsung's plan to launch a new mobile application store this month.

eWeek reports that:

Samsung's new mobile applications store, due to launch in Europe on Sept. 14 before expanding to 30 countries through 2010, will be available on phones running the Windows Mobile operating system, putting the Samsung Application Store in direct competition with Windows Marketplace for Mobile. Both Microsoft and Samsung will be hoping to take mobile-application market share away from Palm, Apple, RIM and other IT giants that have made substantial gains in the space.
    According to the official word from Samsung, Application Store availability will at first be restricted to Omnia and I8910 HD devices. Omnia and Omnia HD users will just need to upgrade their handsets with the download icon of the app store.

Initially, the U.K., France and Italy will have approximately 300 native apps at their disposal upon the virtual storefront’s debut. Providing content for the initial offering are Electronic Arts, Gameloft, Handmark, and Capcom, to name a few. From this relatively small first batch, Samsung hopes to push its inventory up to more than 2,000 apps by the end of this year.

Overall, its been a big summer for Samsung. In July, the company revealed the Application Seller Site portal, where developers and content providers can access, promote, and sell their Symbian and Windows Mobile applications in the app store that will launch in two weeks.

It appears to me, however, that Samsung's store will relish the opportunity to battle it out with Microsoft's Windows Marketplace for Mobile. Although Samsung will have a jump start, it will still have to overcome being three hundred apps behind the projected initial offering of the Windows Marketplace. Additionally, the competition to recruit developers is also getting hot and heavy, with Microsoft aggressively seeking the cream of the crop.

Samsung's upcoming store has the potential to directly compete with Microsoft's Windows Marketplace for Mobile, which is slated to open in fall with some 600 applications. Microsoft has already been campaigning to convince developers to create applications for the store, which will debut on the Windows Mobile 6.5.
    For now, the initial emphasis on Windows Mobile handsets illustrates how Samsung may very well be trying to take out what many believe is the weakest link in the smartphone software business.

This could get interesting.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

apoc (09-01-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

This really doesn't excite me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoenix3g For This Useful Post:

whereswaldo (09-01-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Of course it doesn't excite you. You are just a regular Apple fan boy that can't see anything beside his Mac.

Thanks

i think it's great, competition breeds better apps and might bring prices down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muaddib View Post
    Of course it doesn't excite you. You are just a regular Apple fan boy that can't see anything beside his Mac.
    Am i? My windows laptop and my htc touch hd running windows mobile doesn't seem to prove my "fan boy status" I can see past apple products but generally the other offerings for rival company's "app store's" are generally filled with pointless or expensive apps. I do not see how samsung will really hit the mark with this at all.

So before you go getting all "your a fan boy" please read between the lines, how very narrow minded of you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoenix3g For This Useful Post:

whereswaldo (09-01-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone carlbgc's Avatar
    Thanks

Hate to bring down the thread, but I seriously hope you don't wear that t-shirt in public- LOL

10. The Following User Says Thank You to carlbgc For This Useful Post:

iRoach74 (09-01-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Competition brings lower prices, or better quality. That's the end thing, and nothing beside that.

You can see past apple products but other stores bring expensive low-quality apps, so only Apple store is cheap and high-quality. How very narrow minded of you, actually.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    Hate to bring down the thread, but I seriously hope you don't wear that t-shirt in public- LOL
    The t-shirt picture was "borrowed" from google images.

Competition brings lower prices, or better quality. That's the end thing, and nothing beside that.

You can see past apple products but other stores bring expensive low-quality apps, so only Apple store is cheap and high-quality. How very narrow minded of you, actually.
    This childish banter could go on all day, but i will just say let's see what the future brings. And how successful samsung's store will be. And hopfully they might create a handset I'd actually use.
    Last edited by iPhoenix3g; 09-01-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate listening to little kids argue!
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

is there really THAT many poeple running windows mobiles on samsung phones??

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well....at one point of time WM had the top selling smart phone...not to mention there's probably more USEFUL apps for WM...then the iphone was invented...then you had price reduction...that basically put a dent in WMs smart phones pocket. Then came along the app store with about 1/8 of the apps it has actually being useful or "top" rated..if the Touch HD sold for $199, I'm sure apple would have re-thought the 3GS and the basic features it was added that jailbreakers had since 2G iPhones(excluding compass).

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Bring it on...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Is this really news? I am sorry, but if I come to an Apple Forum, I want Apple news. GTFO with the Samsung stuff...does this affect the iphone? apple? ipod? Umm No.

In the past week all I hear is Windows this, stupid apple fan boy that. What is going on here. Enough already with all of the "whose operating system is better". The truth is there are more Mac OSX users on here than Windows or Linux etc. This is after all an apple forum. Tell me, do you see anything about windows listed here:
    Last edited by Melech518; 09-01-2009 at 08:51 AM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

mattharris85 (09-01-2009), mdc929 (09-01-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

They're posting stuff that could affect your Apple, even in a positive way.

Thanks

They're posting stuff that could affect your Apple, even in a positive way.
    Hello Troll

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thanks

Last edited by iPhoenix3g; 09-01-2009 at 10:17 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Ya I dont think that any app store that is out right now will even get close to what apple has going for them, apple did it right from the start, everyone else is throwing it in as a gimmick because its the "in thing" right now.

Thanks

I agree there all just trying just trying to get a slice of the pie.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Are you retarded? He isn't trolling at all, he just disagrees with you. If anything you're trolling much more than he is with your "I don't want to hear about anything but Apple!" argument. No one cares. Competition brings innovation, and it's nice to know what the competition is doing, therefore making this legitimate news.
    You must not follow his posts then

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Is this really news? I am sorry, but if I come to an Apple Forum, I want Apple news. GTFO with the Samsung stuff...does this affect the iphone? apple? ipod? Umm No.

In the past week all I hear is Windows this, stupid apple fan boy that. What is going on here. Enough already with all of the "whose operating system is better". The truth is there are more Mac OSX users on here than Windows or Linux etc. This is after all an apple forum. Tell me, do you see anything about windows listed here:
    i think they need some ice for that BURN :-D