Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google’s Sinister Plan to Vanquish the iPhone?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Google’s Sinister Plan to Vanquish the iPhone?

image via Timesonline.

An interesting article out in the Atlantic this week offers a little something special for the conspiracy theorist in all of us.

What we all know for sure is that Google – for all its effort – can’t make a realistic dent in the booming smartphone marketplace. And, as a result, they may have hatched a cunning new plan to get a bigger piece of that pie.

Farhad Manjoo has an interesting piece about how Google could market itself better. It's a two-step: 1) Hook up with a visionary designer to produce a phone that is manifestly sleeker/faster/cooler/more long-lasting than the iPhone, and 2) Target iPhone with a massive ad campaign. Like everything Manjoo writes, it's instructive and clear-headed, but something about the prescription "Just Spend a Gajillion on Cool Ads" strikes me as less than bold, and certainly belongs at the top of the category of Easier Typed Than Done.
    What’s more realistic in my opinion, is the theory proposed later in the article that Google’s real strategy may be to overwhelm iPhone users with a stealthy marketing campaign (defined by a blitz of cool apps and features) that all but forces users to consider a switch to a Google phone.

That could put the iPhone at Google's mercy: "Maybe Apple felt that Google was using the iPhone as a gateway drug of sorts to give users a taste of what their apps can do... So Google would be using iPhone as a platform to market their apps until buyers realized, "If I'm using an iPhone to run all Google apps, I might as well just upgrade to a Google phone."
    Is this really Google’s business strategy? Some buy it… many don't.

I’m on the fence.

Where are you?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

aboudiiiiii (08-30-2009), LEVMAN (02-25-2010), redmagic (08-30-2009)

Google have the resources to make an iPhone killer but not the creativity

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Turanli For This Useful Post:

aboudiiiiii (08-30-2009)

maybe Google don't, but sure as eggs are eggs someone out there has. At least we will get a fully fledged mobile and not the half baked effort of the iPhone that only comes to light after buying the wretched thing

Thanks

Open Source kthx
    EDM

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I welcome this with open arms. Why? Every time another company "threatens" the iphone with an iPhone killer that has more features than the iPhone, Apple magically tosses all said features into the next firmware. My point? More competition means better iphone for us all. The beauty of the iphone is that it is virtually all OS. The limitations are almost completely software related and put there on purpose. As we see more phones like the iphone coming out things are bound to get better and better.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Greeneval (09-01-2009), iRoach74 (08-30-2009), operate (08-30-2009)

all that is gonna cause s apple to come out with a phone nearly perfect..Google cant keep up with apple..Never will...Take my word for it..

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I welcome this with open arms. Why? Every time another company "threatens" the iphone with an iPhone killer that has more features than the iPhone, Apple magically tosses all said features into the next firmware. My point? More competition means better iphone for us all. The beauty of the iphone is that it is virtually all OS. The limitations are almost completely software related and put there on purpose. As we see more phones like the iphone coming out things are bound to get better and better.
    +1
    Apple a Day , PC away

11. The Following User Says Thank You to redmagic For This Useful Post:

rockstarblech (09-01-2009)

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,263 Times in 3,348 Posts

The major problems are the ugly, fat and cheap phones that are out with Android. The second are the missing apps.
    At the end of last year i had to decide between iphone and G1, then i saw a photo of the G1 Nothing more to say.
    Last edited by Blue; 08-30-2009 at 01:46 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Google will not be successful because, they do not have a unique, forward vision. Something that Apple has. Something that has brought Apple out of the ashes to fight for a market that was once theirs.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

they can't beat a phone that is on top and is constantly getting software updates and hardware refreshes every year, if google should take down anyone it should be that ****** AT&T everyones fed up
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Maestro For This Useful Post:

kainisable (08-30-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheem166 View Post
    all that is gonna cause s apple to come out with a phone nearly perfect..Google cant keep up with apple..Never will...Take my word for it..
    Look fanboy, people swore the Earth was flat too, and it could "never" be round.

The iPhone will lose its crown one day, like ALL things do. Only arrogant close-minded people would think it'll always be the best. Will it be a Google phone to do it? No one knows. I don't foresee a competitor for a few years, unless the next revolutionary device is in the works secretly, but you're either a kid, or just stupid to think the iPhone will always be the greatest phone around.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ronfin44 For This Useful Post:

dale1v (08-30-2009), Greeneval (09-01-2009), iRoach74 (08-30-2009), shadowserpent (08-30-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    they can't beat a phone that is on top and is constantly getting software updates and hardware refreshes every year, if google should take down anyone it should be that ****** AT&T everyones fed up
    The one thing Google has is MONEY !
    The drawbacks to the iphone I see that affect me are its WEAK battery, no flash ,and unable to use 3g to its fullest (streaming video , etc ).
    Work on that Google !

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    Look fanboy, people swore the Earth was flat too, and it could "never" be round.

The iPhone will lose its crown one day, like ALL things do. Only arrogant close-minded people would think it'll always be the best. Will it be a Google phone to do it? No one knows. I don't foresee a competitor for a few years, unless the next revolutionary device is in the works secretly, but you're either a kid, or just stupid to think the iPhone will always be the greatest phone around.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Fallguy; 08-30-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Anyone else remember when the "cool" cell phones were determined by how thin they were? And when the RAZR was $300? =D

Long gone are those days. Phones today are ranked by their user development base, and the flexibility and versitility of the software on which they run. Sure, it doesn't hurt to have a pretty face (The iPhone 3G S being no exception, along with even the myTouch), but it is getting to the point now where users are craving more than a portable telephone in their pockets. The age of jailbreaking iPhones is starting a trend that people almost want a device with the operability of a personal computer in their pockets. If companies like Apple are totally fine with millions of developers writing software for their computers that most Apple employees will never even hear about let alone use, then what is the big deal with writing open software for another computer, with the only difference being that it fits in your pocket? Why is Apple totally willing to repair your OS X install if it is somehow corrupted by a third-party application, yet if you have a question about your iPhone and they notice it's jailbroken, they slam a plastic notice stand in front of your talking about "unauthorized programs?"

My only thought is that corporations are, for whatever reason, still "testing the waters" with the whole open applications on mobile devices field. It is completely new territory to them, so if you think about it, you really can't blame them for not wanting floods of people rushing to the Apple Store begging for assistance with their "bricked" iPhones.

I agree and hope that there will be a real competitor in design and tech, because at the moment going to the phone shop is like going to a bar filled with women, but knowing before you go in that there's only one them thats attractive, you may go round to see whats on offer but you know in your heart before you go in which you going after.

and just as a side note people believing the earth was flat is something we in the 20th century have put on the people of the past people on the street wouldn't have thought of it and the scientist or philosophers of the time thought is was round like we do (Christopher Columbus if anything thought it was pear shaped) sorry for being pedantic but the erroneous fact taught to children and adult alike annoys me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

this is why i think apple and the iphone continue to be the leader in smartphone "mindshare" and gain in actual marketshare.....these devices are becoming more and more like pocket computers. if the phone OS is heading towards a full fledged computer OS then there would be two companies with a distinct advantage.....apple, and microsoft.....well i think it goes without saying that msft doesn't seem to have it together in term of the direction of minmob.....and it is becoming more and more apparent that the features apple has left out in the past are all part of their roadmap for the iphone platform.

second, even with smartphones heading towards full fledged operating systems, size is always going to be a constraint that will keep user friendliness at a premium.....i don't think it gets any easier to use than OS X. imagine your phone with the osx dock and all its magnification goodness, and navigating through app files forwards and backwards with simple two finger swipes to the left and right....and you may say...so what, other companies can easily make this stuff happen...but my response would be this.....its already there in all of apples notebooks.....the glass trackpad has made a mouse more of a hinderance to me than a tool....these are all things that you'll see moving from the macbook to the iphone in the years ahead.

i love google, but they will run into the same problem that msft has run into that allowed apple back in the game.....singular software that runs on all kinds of different hardware, that isn't fine tuned to nearly perfection levels for a certain hardware like we get with apple products.

(rant over)

iphone shouldn't worry about google, instead should worry about the nokia-N900...that phone is goin to be better than the iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks

I also hope Google can either come up with a phone of their own that does everything the iPhone doesn't, or comes out with software to do the same on multiple phones.

But I've always thought that the two biggest problems with the iPhone are Apple and AT&T. AT&T for having a crappy network, and Apple for refusing to cut the umbilical cord and release software that does everything that people want. If Apple would release its choke hold on user customization and open source utility apps the phone would be even better than it already is.

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    Only arrogant close-minded people would think it'll always be the best.
    Hey! That sounds like New York Yankee fans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sonupwr View Post
    iphone shouldn't worry about google, instead should worry about the nokia-N900...that phone is goin to be better than the iphone
    Havent "they" been saying that about that last couple Nokia phones?
    Last edited by TheOrioles33; 08-30-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I still maintain the opinion that I will buy an Android phone as soon as one comes out on AT&T and is cheap (or can be found cheaply).

Thanks

It is going to be a long way to the crown. But, hey, if Google gives us a phone that the iPhone doesn't have, I'm in...maybe...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast