+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google’s Sinister Plan to Vanquish the iPhone?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I'm not going to be one of those ridiculous fanboys "OMFG APPLE IS THE BESSSST HOW DO YOU NOT HAVE AN IPHONE LOLOL ANDROID SUX." I have my own reasons
    Thanks

I'm not going to be one of those ridiculous fanboys "OMFG APPLE IS THE BESSSST HOW DO YOU NOT HAVE AN IPHONE LOLOL ANDROID SUX." I have my own reasons for why an iPhone is the best for me: because I use and love iTunes, I have a Mac, and I sync all of my junk with all of the Mac native applications. That along with the speed of the device, its undeniable popularity therefore inciting a large wealth of development, and its underground open source community of developers just makes it the best device for me.

The problem I see with the current Android phones is this: HTC is taking the "open source" out of it. Sure, Android is totally open, but when it comes down to it, HTC has a monopoly on Android-compatible devices, and they are making it their own to the point that developers cannot even produce their own builds of the operating system and load it onto Android devices. HTC locks them out. Android is MEANT to be like a PC operating system--anyone can install it onto almost any capable CPU. But HTC is doing the complete opposite, and therefore Android + HTC is almost like OS X + Mac. And in my opinion, this makes Android just a fancy way of saying "generic smartphone OS."

In my opinion, we won't see Android's true potential until we see it on a device that's not branded HTC. But in no way is this an attack on HTC; I would be saying the same thing if, say, Samsung happened to be the only company marketing Android-compatible devices. All I'm saying is that the distribution of the OS needs some competition.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what i think could work better, but apple would throw a fit, is making their own os for the iphone. i would rather have a google os running on my iphone than one from apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You know what's interesting about apple? They seem to have always had the business model of "hey, our stuff is expensive, we know it, but its good stuff. if you don't want to fork over the money, that's too bad, screw you, we don't need you, and you don't get to use our awesome stuff."

Anyone agree with that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashidar View Post

Anyone agree with that?
    No.

I did, which is why I've never bought any Apple stuff.

Then the iPhone came out and I wasn't going to buy one because it was Apple. Then I saw one and was impressed - but 2G only? No thanks! Then the 3G came out and I thought i would try one just to tell people why I didn't like it.

I've been using it ever since because it blows away the competition.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5aint View Post
    what i think could work better, but apple would throw a fit, is making their own os for the iphone. i would rather have a google os running on my iphone than one from apple.
    Uh, why? The form factor? The multitouch? There's not really much different besides that and processor speed between current Android phones...

Thanks

I played around with some friends' android devices.
    I actually really like the OS but don't like the hardware for them at all...

G1 is just ugly. MyTouch is just a keyboardless G1 - which is actually a step down for me.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think Google has the nothing to lose advantage.
    Apple has built a very good foundation. The hard work has been done at the expense of and profit for Apple.

Now, google with lots of money, the G1 (really their beta platform) under heir belt, US cell service penetration even though its not Verizon or ATT. With verizon shifting from cdma this will open up new platforms support.
    Accompany Creative Egg and the new google touch, hmmm there might be a new reese cup on the market.

Google can buy the talent they need, they don't have to invent the wheel when it comes to an app store. Heck look as saurik, his store seems to be doing all right for a non corporate supported store.

I believe Google has been pimping apple to figure out what iphone users want and now they are going to turn around target iphone users with a google platform. first they will attract by an open minded platform, then entice others with a cross platform easy to use interface and the ability for users to express their likings through easy customization.
    Well that's my take on the conspiracy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple rejected the google voice app, I'm all for google coming out with an iPhone killer!

iPhone? More like MyPhone straightryder's Avatar
    Thanks

Sadly, I'm already getting tired of the iphone. I love and appreciate what its done for the market but the iphone itself is a little bulky.

Sure you have to sacrafice some things.

I like the idea of ipod/ phone all in one... but the size is starting to get on my nerves. Also, I use no more than 4 apps.

Even thou Im jailbroken, I'm thinking of swinging back to just a phone and a simple nano.

Thanks

Everyone has different wants/needs - for me the iPhone is the perfect size.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I think what a lot of people forget about is the amount of hardware support there is for the iphone. The fact that I could go into ross and buy a speaker system with an ipod/iphone dock is amazing. Ive even seen radio clocks at the ritz carlton that have an ipod dock. My car stereo has an ipod connector. That kind of support is why I love my ipods and iphone. Sure the plethora of apps in the app store is impressive but the ipod dock is becoming a standard just like usb and long before that serial ports.

Google needs 3rd party hardware support if they want to dethrown the iphone.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Eh, I'd argue that a full open Bluetooth profile would be more attractive on a phone over "it can dock on other ipod docks"

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by isham.padron View Post
    I think what a lot of people forget about is the amount of hardware support there is for the iphone. The fact that I could go into ross and buy a speaker system with an ipod/iphone dock is amazing. Ive even seen radio clocks at the ritz carlton that have an ipod dock. My car stereo has an ipod connector. That kind of support is why I love my ipods and iphone. Sure the plethora of apps in the app store is impressive but the ipod dock is becoming a standard just like usb and long before that serial ports.

Google needs 3rd party hardware support if they want to dethrown the iphone.
    Hardware that supports iPhone is actually quite scarce, compared to stuff made for iPod. Thankfully, there is no difference, so they work together alright, even though the iPhone gives that annoying message "This hardware is not compatible" or whatever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sheem166 View Post
    all that is gonna cause s apple to come out with a phone nearly perfect..Google cant keep up with apple..Never will...Take my word for it..
    Google is trying though, compared to the age difference between the company, you have to admit some things.

Apple is worth 2,768,890,598.796$ USD as of market close tonight, and Google is worth 1,182,741,269,251$ USD as of market close. Google is 42% the size of Apple, and a hell of a lot younger too. When did Google really come to being around what, March 1996? Apple had been around for nearly 20 years at that point, so they've had that much longer to really get a slice of that market. I let the numbers speak for me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Hardware & Software compatibility
    In my honest opinion the only reason for the iphone to be on top is its massive range of apps. Take the appstore out of the equation and see the iphone running to its doom. But we can not realistically do that as its there as a massive support.

The other thing is apple manufactures their macs, ipods and iphones all under the same roof. That means a 100% check on the hardware and software compatibility. The OS is specifically designed to work on their own hardware. Hence, I won't give it to apple only because producing a versatile OS to run on any hardware is much tougher (Like android, webOS and windows)

And what's with the software glitches with the 1st & 2nd generation iphones?! I mean why would they even launch a SMARTER phone (as Steve Jobs called it in the iphone launching seminar) without full bluetooth support, without copy - paste fecility, without proper multitasking support (which is by the way still not available even on 3GS)??????? Why there is no autofocus in the camera with a better image processing algorithm?! I mean these are normally expected functions from a smartphone and the so called SMARTER phone did not have these obvious features. Sure they have made 2 software revisions since then and thanks to that we now have copy - paste but what about sharing files on bluetooth with any device?! NO, U STILL CANT DO IT BECAUSE APPLE WANTS EVERY DAMN PERSON ON THE EARTH TO USE THEIR OVER PRICED DEVICES.

Now, dont get me wrong, I'm not an apple hater, but aint these things too obvious?! Why there is no file manager installed in the phone when u buy it?! There is basically no access to the actual system files of the OS to make any changes an advanced user would like to. A device with this much limitation will surely run fine to do its basic job that it has been designed for, otherwise nobody would buy it anyway.

That being said, iphone is the device which brought a revolution in the smartphone industry and made the other manufacturers realize that if they don’t do something quickly they might go down the drain.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks

^The entire 1.XX collection of firmwares (the entire first year the iPhone & iPod Touch was out) didn't have the app store.
    Remember its success?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi Guys

I just wanted to say thanks for a really interesting thread and some great posts.

My 2 cents is that the nature of innovation is such that someone at some point will come out with something new that will make a step change and history has taught us that its rarely the incumbent market leader.

Kaid

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234