+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iSmash Takes Navigation Apps to School

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
NAvigon is definitely the best on the market. I was really looking forward to iGo My Way but unfortunately they used AmiGo to develop from instead of the real iGo.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

NAvigon is definitely the best on the market. I was really looking forward to iGo My Way but unfortunately they used AmiGo to develop from instead of the real iGo. Navigon is the only one I come across so far that actually keeps up with the current position. I can only assume the iPhone GPS causes the lag on the others but Navigon seems to work around it. There's a few bits of navigon I'd like them to fix, like some of the POIs and the route details but it's still my SatNav of choice.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nipsey View Post
    That's the new tomtom dock that's not out yet but if you get the app they will email you when it's available
    it is certainly not hte TOM TOM dock thats for sure

here is the TOMTOM dock

and this is the dock on page one of this post

Quote Originally Posted by andygev35 View Post
    Actually this is a cradle manufactured by Arkon, which I bought right after G-Map U.S. East was first released. This is an ESSENTIAL for ANY satnav app to work properly. It can be found here: arkon.com/iPhone_Car_Mount.php
    thanks very much for the info that dock looks like a good altertnative while waiting for the full featured tomtom dock
    Last edited by Stargaze; 08-29-2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I can tell u as a delivery driver in Harrisburg, PA that I have used both of these apps extensively to find out which suits me best. Tom Tom's accuracy is dead on for me, has all the correct street names, and is very easy to input your destination, and transmits through my radio via my FM modulator.......but it's ugly, and pauses my aol radio player, and sometimes doesn't unpause it. As far as Navigon goes, the lane assist is great, it has much more appealing look to it's map, it doesn't pause my player, just suppresses it's volume to speak it's directions, and it's input interface is great as well......but it's not as accurate for me as Tom Tom, and in the approx. 6-7 square miles my delivery area is, i've already found about 12 wrong street names (mostly mispelled) and it's not as accurate for me and it's one way street info sucks. Either way both are ideal navigation apps, and i would guess it's a lot to do with where their satellites are positioned as to which app will give the best accuracy given your location. The point is it all comes down to which suits u best depending on where u live, and until someone has people all over the world test all apps and take a survey on that, nobody can really determine which is the best. My mom uses co-pilot, and she likes it, but she's used to it from being a truck driver, as far as Sygic goes....it never loaded a map for me, never gave me a gps signal, and I used AT&T Navigator when I had my Curve, and it wasn't very accurate in my area either. I purchased both apps, Tom Tom for it's accuracy in my delivery area (basically local travel) and Navigon for my highway driving cause of the lane assist.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

And sadly none (that I know of) have text to speech so the street onto which I must turn is not vocalized. Where are you Garmin?!

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee View Post
    NAvigon is definitely the best on the market.
    Perhaps for you... For me it claims to lose satellite reception in the middle of the open highways in Iowa on both my 3GS and my girlfriend's 3G. If you have ever been to Iowa you will understand that there is absolutely nothing able to block reception AT ALL. TomTom on the other hand has no such issues. Navigon does look prettier though, I will give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    The best part of these threads are people ousting themselves as pirates when they can throw opinions of more than one of these apps. My favorite term is when people "try" apps.

Unless they have a lot of money to burn...
    Most people could care less. Hell people all over the net admit to producing and using drugs, why would they care about insinuating that they pirated the app? I pirate plenty of stuff, a VAST majority of which ends up to be so terrible that I never use it again and I am happy I didn't pay for it to begin with.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 08-29-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    And sadly none (that I know of) have text to speech so the street onto which I must turn is not vocalized. Where are you Garmin?!
    The next update to Navigon is supposed to come with Text-to-speech
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

iPhone? More like MyPhone bunnywhi7e's Avatar
    Thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

Telenav was tested twice on two different devices in this test.

Lovely

Not

Green Apple
    Thanks

after updating to 1.1 on navigon its better with controlling the music but they should really get the street names visible on the maps..still too difficult to see street names

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ I agree. Its really my only complaint about Navigon

Thanks

SB - you've used everything, do you prefer Navigon to CoPilot? If so, why?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    SB - you've used everything, do you prefer Navigon to CoPilot? If so, why?
    CoPilot would be better than Navigon if it fixed these things:

1. Lane Assist
    2. Qwerty Keyboard
    3. Allow copy and pasting of address (I copy and past all my appointments into Navigon)
    4. Fix some of those bugs I told you about
    5. I like how Navigon keeps the status bar visible
    6. Text to Speech needs to be in the works also (Navigon will have it on the next release)

I like that you can read the street names in CoPilot so much better than in Navigon. The best view of street names is iGo. It creates a little bubble.

Thanks

Thanks SB - will pass on.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Thanks SB - will pass on.
    Thanks and tell him I am a TomTom hater =P

Thanks

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234