+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Finally Official in China

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
No rumors or analyst reports this time guys! It's really really official! China will be getting the iPhone in Q4 this year - not too far eh? Per the official
    Thanks

Default iPhone Finally Official in China

No rumors or analyst reports this time guys! It's really really official! China will be getting the iPhone in Q4 this year - not too far eh? Per the official press announcement, China Unicom and Apple signed a 3 year contract, opposed to the 5 years rumored before.

On 28 August, the Company and Apple reached a three-year agreement for the Company to sell iPhone in China. The initial launch is expected to be in the fourth calendar quarter of 2009. This will provide users with brand new communication and information experience.
    The carrier will be getting handsets in wholesale from Apple and all this with NO revenue-sharing as opposed to most of the other 80 countries, including the USA. There will be TWO 3G iPhone models - and that's all the specs for now! After years of anticipation, they write JUST a tiny little paragraph saying it's coming - that too hidden in a non-dedicated press release - NOT good on the carrier's part. Anyhow, Apple has been eyeing the Chinese release for about 2 years and I do expect they are happy with whatever was decided. Chinese market will definitely be hard to deal with but let's hope all goes well after this.

[ChinaUnicom via Engadget]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Great News and Good to Hear...I like watching my shares of Apple go up everyday
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Onward! The march towards world domination continues.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    jealous.
    fml

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Sell me some shares!!!
    [SIhttp://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2631011&dateline=1251 526432GPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mdc929 View Post
    jealous.
    fml
    hahahah nice

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

okay, moving right along, most of the buyers of this china iphone will be wanting to re-enable the WIFI radio, which Unicom confirmed will be disabled -- in supposed compliance with chinese telecoms law. now wouldn't it be great if we could just jailbreak the china iphone with ultrasn0w or redsn0w, and thereby restore this critical function??

any dev team members want to take a crack at this? Saurik told me last week that we really need to wait to see the actual device, but any hypothetical thoughts on whether a simple jailbreak would have the potential for revealing a WIFI on/off switch. Is it possible they'll simply remap the main "settings" page to omit the WI-FI connected/not connected slider switch?

thanks!
    Euphonius in Beijing

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

No way of knowing without seeing a device.

Thanks

Well at least Apple finally got it's claws into China. It ought to be interesting to see how well iPhone sells in that market.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4