Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ATT to FCC re: Google Voice - Nah, that's Apple's Fault

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default ATT to FCC re: Google Voice - Nah, that's Apple's Fault

If you've been paying any attention, you know that Apple pulled all Google Voice applications from the AppStore recently (resulting in at least one - GV Mobile - popping over to Cydia), and Google was apparently a bit miffed... enough to gracefully pull out of Apple's board (citing conflict of interest instead of "hey knock it off" - sounds the same to me). The FCC caught wind of all this, and decided they needed to take a closer look at the situation, stating "in light of pending FCC proceedings regarding wireless open access (RM-11361) and handset exclusivity (RM-11497), we are interested in a more complete understanding of this situation."

The FCC sent Apple 6 very interesting questions, including "Why did Apple reject the Google Voice application for iPhone and remove related third-party applications from its App Store?" and "What are the standards for considering and approving iPhone applications? What is the approval process for such applications (timing, reasons for rejection, appeal process, etc.)?" They also requested info from AT&T about the decisions.

Apple details their answers to the FCC in their "Hot News" area, and its worth a read. A few tidbits:

Contrary to published reports, Apple has not rejected the Google Voice application, and continues to study it... We are continuing to study the Google Voice application and its potential impact on the iPhone user experience. Google is of course free to provide Google Voice on the iPhone as a web application through Apple’s Safari browser, just as they do for desktop PCs, or to provide its “Google-branded” user experience on other phones, including Android-based phones, and let consumers make their choices.
    Apple is acting alone and has not consulted with AT&T about whether or not to approve the Google Voice application. No contractual conditions or non-contractual understandings with AT&T have been a factor in Apple’s decision-making process in this matter.
    There are more than 40 full-time trained reviewers, and at least two different reviewers study each application so that the review process is applied uniformly. Apple also established an App Store executive review board that determines procedures and sets policy for the review process, as well as reviews applications that are escalated to the board because they raise new or complex issues. The review board meets weekly and is comprised of senior management with responsibilities for the App Store. 95% of applications are approved within 14 days of being submitted.... We receive about 8,500 new applications and updates every week, and roughly 20% of them are not approved as originally submitted. In little more than a year, we have reviewed more than 200,000 applications and updates.
    AT&T is claiming ignorance (most likely truthfully - I don't see Apple calling AT&T to ask if they can put an app in their own store) and agrees with the fruity behemoth they had nothing to do with the decision.

And whoa - 65,000 applications and only 40 reviewers? No wonder it takes so long to get approved...

Engadget, Apple

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

wingy (08-22-2009)

I hope they get in trouble big time for this!!!

NO MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

40 reviewers? WTF?

Thanks

Last edited by Rescuer; 08-22-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Seems to be a lot of pointing finger. Oh comes the old saying, "While you point a finger at someone 3 are pointing back at you." lol

Thanks

the "Dear Ms. Milkman" in the letter is lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

My As# not consulted AT&T!!!! What about Sling Player App only on Wifi your telling me AT&T didnt have a say in that. Hmmm Nice try.

Thanks

This Apple/Google conspiracy is already getting old to me.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

wtf......wats up with the damm MMS this is some bull late summer my a%% its basicly fall dam atnt

11. The Following User Says Thank You to titee00 For This Useful Post:

$V4444 (08-30-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Sep 1st

13. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

$V4444 (08-30-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Melloout View Post
    My As# not consulted AT&T!!!! What about Sling Player App only on Wifi your telling me AT&T didnt have a say in that. Hmmm Nice try.
    Exactly my thought.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cranie For This Useful Post:

$V4444 (08-30-2009)

lol @ "Dear Ms. Milkman"
    There is no reason to do something anonymously if it is believed to be legal and it will benefit our rights.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

pass the buck much??
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Apple knows AT&T's 3G is ****, so they crippled the SlingPlayer. Wouldn't want it to ruin the "iPhone user experience" now...

Its not that its AT&T didnt have a say in it, it is against the ppolicy or w/e with AT&T to stream tv on their network and it not be mobile tv through AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by dillonsmith9147 View Post
    Its not that its AT&T didnt have a say in it, it is against the ppolicy or w/e with AT&T to stream tv on their network and it not be mobile tv through AT&T
    Aren't there people who use SlingPlayer on BlackBerries on AT&T just fine? There's a Sling client for BB, WMO, Palm, Symbiand and iPhone. I think the iPhone is the only wifi only version.

Um, guys. The letter from Apple states clearly how much involvement AT&T has: Apple exclusively handles the rejection/approval process except when the application in question makes use of AT&T's 3G network. In such cases, AT&T needs to approve it.

Reason AT&T doesn't like the iPhone doing anything/most of the 3G stuff they allow on other phones (WinMO, BB) is because while the iPhones may not outnumber those other phones, they get used a hell of a lot more.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

^ That's some pretty stupid logic. So you think if I spend a ton of money on a BlackBerry Curve or HTC Touch etc... you don't think I'm gonna use that phone to its full potential? You think people that own other smartphones only use them for email and phone calls?

Also, do you have proof that people use the iPhone more than other smartphone users? Do you work for AT&T and know this for a fact? Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but please don't make yours sounds like 100% fact, when it's just speculation.

Oh and from that letter AT&T only has to approve apps that use 3G for VOIP or TV. If they had to approve every app that goes out on the 3G network, they'd have their hands full

This reminds me of 2 movies ..... "He Said,She Said" , and "Dumb and Dumber" !

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

why approve an app then several months later decide to disapprove it? with only 40 reviewers, this seems like taking a step backwards, and a waste of time, from an efficiency stand point.

can't we all just get along
    Last edited by smuggler; 08-22-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast