Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PrivaCY Putting iPhone Owner's minds to Rest.

Default PrivaCY Putting iPhone Owner's minds to Rest.

Recently there has been some fuss over the fact that companies like Pinch Media, Medialytics etc have been tracking iPhone users on a level that is almost disturbing... They are able to tell device model, your location and whether you are jailbroken (just to name a few). After a few days and tons of ideas on how to stop this, Pinch Media actually approached Jay Freeman (known as saurik to many in the jailbreak community, author of Cydia), and they worked out a way to stop their tracking on jailbroken phones without damaging other services. Medialytics also got involved and supports this wholeheartedly. Check Cydia now for PrivaCY.

As you will notice this comes with an update to Mobile Substrate and a simple preferences pane that allows users to choose whether or not they want to block each individual service.

EDIT: Install the new updates in Cydia so you get the Repo. Then go to PrivaCy "Opt-Out" on the Cydia home page and install PrivaCY. After a respring check the settings and it should be there.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JStraitiff For This Useful Post:

96hondaex (08-25-2009), BlueRally (08-21-2009), CaryDude (08-22-2009), de789 (08-23-2009), Dollfayce (08-22-2009), drunknspyder (08-22-2009), estes123 (08-21-2009), iPhoenix3g (08-21-2009), javiert30 (08-21-2009), m2mguru (08-24-2009), NitroSam (08-24-2009), slatecaller (08-22-2009), smuggler (08-21-2009), TooSlo (08-21-2009), tophernuts (08-21-2009), wingy (08-22-2009)

Thanks good to know. I turned all of mine off.

Default Not for me
    Don't know if I am the only one but I have installed this but I do not get anything in settings????

Any ideas anyone??

Please??

^^ its a preferences loader one.. its between the default ones and the appstore app ones. if you used icy or something you need to respring

Install the new updates in Cydia so you get the Repo. Then go to PrivaCy "Opt-Out" on the Cydia home page and install PrivaCY. After a respring check the settings and it should be there.

[QUOTE=him121213;4917901]

They are able to tell Phone model, Your location and weather you are jailbroken (just to name a few). /QUOTE]

weather should be whether.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GregTheWang For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (08-21-2009)

Thanks

It was actually Pinch Media that confronted Saurik.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Quote Originally Posted by Famous15 View Post
    Install the new updates in Cydia so you get the Repo. Then go to PrivaCy "Opt-Out" on the Cydia home page and install PrivaCY. After a respring check the settings and it should be there.
    This information should have been in the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    This information should have been in the first post.
    you need a guide to figure out that you should install an essential update?

its pretty obvious that PrivaCY is on the front page of cydia.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have done all updates. Installed from cydia home page, resprung - nothing, rebooted - nothing, un-installed and re-installed - nothing. Most odd??

PeggawengMake sure that PreferenceLoader has been installed. It should have been with the opt-out app, but go into Cydia > Manage > Packages > Then click the "Simple" button on the top right, then scroll and look for PreferenceLoader.

This is good. I am also surprised to see that the companies assisted in some form or fashion in making this opt-out possible.
    Last edited by travis_t80; 08-21-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Am I getting smart with you? How would you know?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to travis_t80 For This Useful Post:

Miclo11 (08-22-2009)

Would be great if my Cydia weren't crashing, how come my other post was deleted? i need help, i need this
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

Hello. The pref loader is most certainly installed. I will try and reinstall it. Will let you know.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

creepy stuff, thanks saurik

Reinstalled pref-loader and it now works a treat!!!!

Many thanks everyone.

I'm glad they addressed this issue. I figured something like that was happening. Good job saurik!

scary! i saw the install and decided it was in my best interest to grab it.

tim

Niiiiiiiiiice
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

Great!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

This is good news!
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast