Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PrivaCY Putting iPhone Owner's minds to Rest.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Turn them all off

2. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

aga700 (08-21-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you Saurik, turned all off
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

get it got it good

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Are you people new to the Internet? Web browsers have been doing this for YEARS. Web sites can track what browser you use, operating system, etc. Services like steam can even see what hardware you're computer has. It's all used to propagate and deliver ads for the correct demographics. Also, when they say they track your "location", it's only the region/city. No one can actually pinpoint your location from the data gathered.

Devs can get data like how long a game session is, where people get stuck, even what features of the app aren't being used. I think this is invaluable for developers to properly update their applications.

For example, the developer of Flick Fishing can tell you exactly how many people have opened the manual of the app (around 10%) so for a future update. He can make any gameplay changes a pop-up to make sure everyone sees it since noone reads the manual
    Sorry buddy but you look at the world through a lense that honestly is full of illusion and lies. These features are not being used as a whole ONLY to better apps. Why cant they just test the games/apps like every other program or game does.

I downloaded this, as will other jailbreakers because its wrong for them to do this without asking. If a game asked me before starting it, if i wanted to allow them to check my game play times, and what i did etc,and listed EVERYTHING, and said it would be anonymous, well id deff think about it.But its the almost Trickery that Angers me.

IMHO these services have no right to take statistics and useage on 90% of the data. Things like Jailbroken or not are completely pointless and must have some anterior motive.I look at this almost as ads on a website or iphone app. They are distracting and used to make a cheap buck by tricking us into clicking a link by accident. Thats why many people block them. Because they are intrusive and quite frankly pointless, very few people look at a ad and say "Boy howdie, id love to spend my money on that" ( having no prior interest in that item.

Oh and now i know some ******* is gonna mention that games and web browsers currently do this and that we've been pray to this for a long time now,So just deal with it. I feel like this is a great step twords giving us a choice in our privacy.

Oh and to the other user or future poster who said, "that now devs wont have any info." Jailbroken iphones take up less than 20 percent of the iphone market, Im Positive they will have plenty of data. And maybe now developers will start giving us a choice in the matter.
    Last edited by hacker555; 08-22-2009 at 01:57 AM.

much respect for the company to come out straight.

and much thanks for the option to disable collecting this data.

Saurik, u are awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Are you people new to the Internet? Web browsers have been doing this for YEARS. Web sites can track what browser you use, operating system, etc. Services like steam can even see what hardware you're computer has. It's all used to propagate and deliver ads for the correct demographics. Also, when they say they track your "location", it's only the region/city. No one can actually pinpoint your location from the data gathered.

Devs can get data like how long a game session is, where people get stuck, even what features of the app aren't being used. I think this is invaluable for developers to properly update their applications.

For example, the developer of Flick Fishing can tell you exactly how many people have opened the manual of the app (around 10%) so for a future update. He can make any gameplay changes a pop-up to make sure everyone sees it since noone reads the manual
    So what's your point? It's been happening with web browsers so it's ok if it happens on our phones now? Be thankfull you can stop this, unless you enjoy being bombarded with "Ads that fit your demographic". It's like saying, "Hey, let's help them market more useless **** to us!!!!" And something tells me they have the ability to get your GPS coordinates. iPhone needs application specific security features, like the BlackBerry.

is this even legal ?
    and is there somewhere i agreed to it that i want these services to spy on me ?
    i mean not that i read every legal document i was just wondering where i might have accepted these companies to spy on me ?
    Last edited by Meglomaniac; 08-22-2009 at 08:38 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

All turned off for me also
    If I have helped you please hit the Thanks button.

i'm pretty sure that technically we are given the choice to allow spying on us or not... kinda like the outrage when they said security checks at airports in the US can look at your phone and laptop for sensitive info about weapons of mass destruction, the whereabouts of bin laden, like the whereabouts of elvis without our consent

either way, i'm glad they are giving us what we should have, the ability to disable spying if we choose.

Quote Originally Posted by hacker555 View Post
    Oh and to the other user or future poster who said, "that now devs wont have any info." Jailbroken iphones take up less than 20 percent of the iphone market, Im Positive they will have plenty of data. And maybe now developers will start giving us a choice in the matter.
    Jailbroken phones account for less than 5% of all iPhones/Touch sold. We'll never be anything more than a very vocal minority.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Wow, rather creepy. Thanks again Saurik for the hard work!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

creepy... but

thank you !!!

Good to know, thanks for the info

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

**** those data seeking control freaks

Thanks
    All Blocked, thanks for sharing bro btw are these the only one's who were tracking?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meglomaniac View Post
    is this even legal ?
    and is there somewhere i agreed to it that i want these services to spy on me ?
    i mean not that i read every legal document i was just wondering where i might have accepted these companies to spy on me ?
    I think it was ilegal before, but now with this app its legal because now they need that you agree so they can do it.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

I can't get PRIVACY, when I select PrivaCy"Opt-Out" on the home screen, I get this message "The Package com.saurik.privacy cannot be found in your current sources. I might recommend installing more sources."

I also cannot locate PreferenceLoader under Packages.

what should I do? which repo should I install?

from where can I install preferenceloader?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

is there a site where I can download the ipa directly?
    Last edited by swifty7; 08-22-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks

^Do a complete update in Cydia.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

everything is up to date, I went in and out of cydia many times to no avail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    everything is up to date, I went in and out of cydia many times to no avail.
    add source http://apt.saurik.com/

and refresh
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast