+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Official Apple iPhone Unlock Possible!?!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy???
    Thanks
    Wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy???
    The only thing that threatens my humanity... is, none other than, reality.

Thanks

Nothing new here !
    I bought a 3G iPhone for 0,10 Euro in France (with extra points from a friend's payement plan) and got it officially unlocked for 100 Euro !
    All the rest is rip off !

Thanks

I had no idea u could buy a factory unlocked phone does this mean no matter what updates occur in iTunes it will not have u start from scratch?

Thanks

I bet apple would sell more iphones if it was universal unlocked than have it exclusive to att. I wonder if apple realize this.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V.A.M.P View Post
    I bet apple would sell more iphones if it was universal unlocked than have it exclusive to att. I wonder if apple realize this.
    A couple of problems with this:

1. Apple wants certain features with all their iPhones which they can't control if they can't pick which carriers support it. The two most notable are:
    a- Data Package (Preferably Unlimited)
    b- Visual Voicemail

The first one is doable, even if it isn't unlimited, most carriers have a data plan of sorts. The second one is a bit more complicated because not all carriers support this. More are adopting it now thank to the iPhone but had the iPhone been unlocked from the go, none of the carriers would have any incentive to support it considering the big infrastructure changed this meant.

Let's not forget, Apple approached VERIZON first to be the iPhone's carrier demanding those things. Verizon said no to visual voicemail so Apple went to AT&T. Like those of you in Verizon asking for the iPhone, I'd email customer services asking WTF were they thinking saying no to it.

A universally unlocked iPhone would be nice but it would be missing some features people take for granted.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am not sure why this is such a big deal, being old news and all. What is the problem with jailbreaking and unlocking with the current methods? Too hard for most? Too time consuming?

-Matt

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    u can do this with att in the us i live in el paso tx and i originally wanted to exchange my iphone due to the screen had a dead spot so i echanged and everything when i got the new one back i tried to put my att sim since im a loyal customer and it wouldnt read it so i called apple tech support and i had to get transphered to a superviser since i had just exchanged out my iphone so i told him it was not reading my sim i never said att sim and he asked "did your carrier unlock it for you" me thinking quickly responded yes they did i thought the unlock would transpher to this new iphone he put me on hold for about 2 min and when he came back he asked me for an IMEI number i acted dumb and asked where do i get it he talked me throught it and once he had it he put me on hold once again and 5 min later he said "can you please connect your iphone to itunes "i did and that same carrier update poped up i installed it and viola it was officially unlocked so what did i do...well i sold it on ebay for 800 bucks if u need help just message me and ill help u out thank me if this helped

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlos805424 For This Useful Post:

crashnburn_in (07-07-2010), Ingelenek (03-09-2010), lili4311 (08-21-2009), unfaced (08-21-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default yeah right
    Dude this method was possible only because he paid off all 2 years contract and because Sonera had this option.
    So, it's not an universal method of unlocking!

FAIL!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danpaul View Post
    Dude this method was possible only because he paid off all 2 years contract and because Sonera had this option.
    So, it's not an universal method of unlocking!

FAIL!
    most companies offer unlocks, for world phones, when going to another country... i kno t mobile unlocked my blackberry when i called and complained

As long as you told att you weren't cancelling their contract, you were just going to another country and need the phone to be unlocked so you can use it in places att doesn't have roaming. If your a loyal customer, and had an att phone before the iphone, they SHOULD unlock it... they don't have to, but they have the ability, you just have to convince them.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

AngryLemming (08-21-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Aussie Love
    That's the exact screen you get when you buy an unlocked iPhone from Apple Australia.
    This happens worldwide. i.e you can sell the phones world wide and simply plug it into iTunes and you will get this screen, USA, Qatar, Ireland etc

Thanks

Never had to worry bout that, all my iPhones are factory unlocked lol but this can lead to something!!

Thanks

Guys, I agree this is not news.

Factory unlocked iPhone are sold in Hong Kong through authorized Apple resellers, Apple official carrier partner (3 HK) in Hong Kong and Apple Online Store HK since the iPhone 3G and in Apple Online Store Australia/New Zealand since iPhone 3GS.

In many countries like Finland, France, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium and Taiwan, Apple official carrier partner can unlock iPhones, but those are done as explained earlier in this thread, where the carrier send Apple the iPhone's IMEI number then Apple unlock the said iPhone through iTunes. This method of unlocking is usually valid for carriers within the country that the phone is unlocked in.
    No Sig Spam

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

haha wow thats nuts i never wouldve guessed.
    i figured apple wouldve left you SOL once someones contract finished
    good to know they can officially unlock it for u
    not that we need it here

Green Apple
    Thanks

I bet apple would sell more iphones if it was universal unlocked than have it exclusive to att. I wonder if apple
    realize this.
    Actually that is not true at all. If they don't have the iPhone set to an exclusive carrier, the carrier would no longer accept Apples agreement for the iPhone to be allowed in the carriers stores. So Apple would then lose the carriers they sold their iPhones to, which would then mean that they can only sell their iPhones in their own stores. And there is not enough Apple stores to accompany the worlds need for iPhones nor will enough people know about them because you would then only see them at apple stores... Hence they would lose A HUGE amount of sales if they did that. Remember that Apple makes their money from the providers that purchase the iPhones from them, after the provider has purchased them, it is their responsibility to sell them to make their money back that they used to buy them.

Thanks
    Can apple install me cydia please?? would be very kind!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fear1508 View Post
    Actually that is not true at all. If they don't have the iPhone set to an exclusive carrier, the carrier would no longer accept Apples agreement for the iPhone to be allowed in the carriers stores. So Apple would then lose the carriers they sold their iPhones to, which would then mean that they can only sell their iPhones in their own stores. And there is not enough Apple stores to accompany the worlds need for iPhones nor will enough people know about them because you would then only see them at apple stores... Hence they would lose A HUGE amount of sales if they did that. Remember that Apple makes their money from the providers that purchase the iPhones from them, after the provider has purchased them, it is their responsibility to sell them to make their money back that they used to buy them.
    not true!!!! The blackberry (except the storm) is sold in att and verizon as the same model! And i bet 'now' no company could resist the iphone and would give in.

the only 2 reason the iphone is locked in the US is that apple wanted full control which ATT was offering and they wanted to make a gsm phone so it would work world wide (T-Mobile is to small in the US)

Another reason (world wide) is that if it was universally unlocked then they could not add the rebate and phones would cost over $700

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hehe.. Lookie here > Its here! - Erodov

Got the same screen when I activated my iPhone 3GS on my carrier Vodafone IN.

The phone was from Australia, and definitely locked to one of the carriers (because I was 100% aware that the Unlocked ones from Apple's Online Store were Out of Stock.

I think Apple has removed the necessity to submit the IMEI, Serial No. etc. for the phone's on carriers who "can" unlock it for you.

It happens automatically now when you switch the carrier.

Makes sense?
    Last edited by Ad1tya; 08-21-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks

I'm still waiting for the Official Apple iPhone Jailbreak .

Thanks

Of course anywhere but the U.S. would get all the good sh@t.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The same thing applies to iphones bought in Poland from Era. Actually Era unlocks all phones(including iphones) from the beginning of the year.