+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Patent Details File-Transfer in Call

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple has a new patent entitled "Auto Messaging to Currently Connected Caller." The patent focuses around the potential to send documents, emails, txt msgs, files, etc. to the person on
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default Apple Patent Details File-Transfer in Call

Apple has a new patent entitled "Auto Messaging to Currently Connected Caller." The patent focuses around the potential to send documents, emails, txt msgs, files, etc. to the person on the other end of the line while you are in call.
    While a user of a mobile device is using telephony services, the user may want to send a message or a file to another part . . . To send this information, the user may have to disconnect the call, and then perform a lookup of the caller's contact information prior to being able to send the message or file. This multi-step process can be tedious for the user.
    The data could be sent through various means like GSM, GPRS, Edge, Wi-Fi, WiMax and Bluetooth. Apple's interface would provide users with a way to access all the file sharing features while on call the system (phone? network?) would be capable to directing the various types of data correctly all at once.

Apple is doing a lot of looking into file sharing technology for it mobiles. A similar patent that AppleInsider discovered in June details how an iPhone could share media like music, video, podcasts, images, voice mails with other iPhone users.

via appleinsider

Green Apple
    Thanks

That seems as though it would be quite useful. Though alot of Apple's patents are years off of being implemented.

Thanks

And then the app Bump came out.
    EDM

Green Apple
    Thanks

But the bump requires u to be close the the person. With this method u can transfer a document to someone in Japan while your home in France.

Thanks

im not sure why but this reminds me of google wave for some reason. kinda random...
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny how Apple is coming up with all of these great new ideas... but not giving us the options that we have to jailbreak for!

If they don't like jailbreaking so much... why don't they just give us some of the jailbreak stuff?

an SBSettings clone would be a snap, so would an in-App Texting program, and many phones have themes programs... how hard would a theme program be?

I can understand why Apple would not want to give us an "iFile" or "OpenSSH" clone... but the other stuff is just too darn easy without compromising the security of an un-jailbroken device.

tim

Thanks

Because Apple is stupid.
    EDM

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

You all sound new to Mac products. It has always been their way or the highway, the iPhone isn't any different.

I still believe Apple messed up by supprting MMS with 3.0. They should have kept their stance and push the world foward, not backwards

Thanks

ok tell me if im rong but that sounds alot like MMS but u have 2 b in a call 2 do it
    it sounds stupid

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    And then the app Bump came out.
    Bump has been out long before the commercial debut on TV.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    You all sound new to Mac products. It has always been their way or the highway, the iPhone isn't any different.

I still believe Apple messed up by supprting MMS with 3.0. They should have kept their stance and push the world foward, not backwards
    Being able to send images to people without smartphones is always a plus. there is, and always will be, people who don't see a necessity in having email on their phone. Under you definition, we shouldn't have texting either it seems when we can just send an email. Fact of the matter is, it's just convenient to text and MMS.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

The thing is, MMS by it's very definition is email. There is no reason carriers should continue to keep MMS closed. Some of them you can already email by using a [email protected] or some variation. The problem is that texting is almost pure profit for carriers. Think about it, you're paying them to EMAIL. It's ridiculous.

The fact people still want to MMS boggle my mind. It's outdated and only exists to make money.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Not every phone has an email app which is easy to use, email on normal phones is shite unless it's a smartphone. Texting and MMS is just more convenient.

There's no harm in Apple putting MMS in 3.0. Your weird if you think Apple made a mistake.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

This has a lot of potential... i would like to see it implemented sooner rather than later.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post

Apple is doing a lot of looking into file sharing technology for it mobiles. A similar patent that AppleInsider discovered in June details how an iPhone could share media like music, video, podcasts, images, voice mails with other iPhone users.

that would be amazing
    this is something i would actually look forward to
    rather than getting mad about something they should've had from the get-go *cough MMS cough*

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Strange...all these weird patents and the iPhone still cant share songs or photos by bluetooth!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Sounds like a cool concept
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    The thing is, MMS by it's very definition is email. There is no reason carriers should continue to keep MMS closed. Some of them you can already email by using a [email protected] or some variation. The problem is that texting is almost pure profit for carriers. Think about it, you're paying them to EMAIL. It's ridiculous.

The fact people still want to MMS boggle my mind. It's outdated and only exists to make money.
    The only thing wrong with that is the greedy carriers charging for it. Especially on plans where you have data, SMS, MMS should be free. I don't find nothing wrong with the technology itself. It's easier to send a quick SMS or MMS than an email.

The only phone you could say SMS and MMS is useless is the BlackBerry, where messaging is so well integrated and easy to use.

Also, this looks like a patent troll to me, as there are phones out that can do file transfer, wether you're on a call or not, therefore "infringing" on Apple's patent once it goes through.
    Last edited by bengo; 08-21-2009 at 02:45 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

agree totally. Most smart phones have email programs. I don't care for MMS becasue the people i talk to the most have tmail.com which is the mobile email for tmobile. everyone on tmobile has tmail free. just send the pic or song straight to their sidekick straight from mail app to their tmail adress.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

That could be pretty cool, but my guess is you would have to be a buyer of MobileMe to implement it. And here's how they would tell us about it "it'll be available on our next update later this winter" which really means autumn 2525. haha
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!