+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SlingPlayer 1.1 to Support 3G Except in US

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Word is that SlingPlayer for iPhone 1.1 has been submitted for App Store approval. This update provides a few new features including 3G streaming worldwide minus the US AT&T users.
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default SlingPlayer 1.1 to Support 3G Except in US

Word is that SlingPlayer for iPhone 1.1 has been submitted for App Store approval. This update provides a few new features including 3G streaming worldwide minus the US AT&T users. The initial release of SlingPlayer was delayed repeatedly presumably because Sling Media wanted to submit the application with 3G streaming but was delayed repeatedly due to Apple's close relationship with AT&T. AT&T doesn't like applications that use up so much bandwidth and resources on their network.

If SingPlayer 1.1 is approved for the AppStore including streaming over 3G everywhere besides the US it would just further support the notion that Apple and AT&T are interfering with competitive practices which they are currently under investigation for with the FCC.

SlingPlayer 1.1 is more than just 3G streaming, it also fixes some 1.0 annoyances with the ability to play 16:9 content all the way to the edges of the iPhone screen. DVR control is a totally new feature for Dish Network users allowing them to navigate their DVR to download etc etc remotely.

via slingcommunity

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for nothing at&t

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I have one thing to say: THANK YOU 3G UNRESTRICTOR!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eballesq For This Useful Post:

mysteryskater125 (08-19-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

ha! I totally forgot about 3G Unrestrictor,
    AT&T pwned again

Thanks

This is only sad if you're NOT jailbroken.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    I have one thing to say: THANK YOU 3G UNRESTRICTOR!!
    ^^^^ x 1000!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronfin44 View Post
    This is only sad if you're NOT jailbroken.
    Nope this is sad either way. We shouldn't have to resort to jailbreaking & hacking cause AT&T can't take the load. If the network can't take it they shouldn't carry the iPhone.

Can anyone show me in AT&T's TOS where using this App would be a violation?
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Thanks

Default Fail
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    also thanks to they provide 3G unrestrictor for FREE
    Yes, because contributing $2 for an extremely useful app is simply outrageous.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 08-19-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Nope this is sad either way. We shouldn't have to resort to jailbreaking & hacking cause AT&T can't take the load. If the network can't take it they shouldn't carry the iPhone.

Can anyone show me in AT&T's TOS where using this App would be a violation?
    This can be looked at both ways. One might argue that if you are not happy with the network, DONT BUY THE PHONE.

That being said, I am just as annoyed as you are at this.

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    Yes, because contributing $2 for an extremely useful app is simply outrageous.
    Hey, we pay less for apps that are much easier to code than 3G unrestrictor. If he doesn't want to pay, he doesn't want to pay, simple as that.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 08-19-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I couldn't be happier with AT&T as a network, unfortunately their business practices cater a lot more to themselves than to that of their customers so we continually end up with the short end of the stick :/

Thanks

If I could get mine to work outside my own network I would be happy , even with or without the 3G support .

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

i hate AT&T a little more each day

Thanks

Angry once again, "unlimited" isn't unlimited...
    Just like with Comcast, any anyone that sells an 'unlimited' service with limits that are not very well publicized.

I am sick and tired of this BS. Someone needs to hit all these f*ckers with a nice set of class-action suits where they are advertising in the big print, UNLIMITED INTERNET and then in the fine print, 'Unlimited Internet' limited to 90GB/month. Comcast may not, now, be specifically advertising 'unlimited' (they just talk about FAST), however they do not provide ANY information about limits in their marketing information. AT&T is trying to skirt the issue of not telling you there are limits by doing everything else they can to make sure you can't use the service in an unlimited fashion (not allowing high-bandwidth apps, making DIY tethering against the ToS, etc.)

Screw AT&T and the other providers that do this -- and if you think your non-AT&T provide is oh, so much better, wait until they start to see the ramping 'smartphone' volumes of data on their network and they start doing the same thing. US providers lock your phone to a provider because they think they can get away with it (and they do.) Customers need to push back. And if they marketplace won't adapt, then I say bring on the FCC or the SEC. You want to scare these a**holes into 'change'? Tell them you want to increase regulation and oversight -- that does it every time.

Look how much $$$ the health industry is spending on astroturf and lobbying organizations in the US to try to stop 'change'.

Mobile providers don't have that kind of money. They will roll over faster than AT&T did for the NSA in San Francisco.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Whatever, long live 3G Unrestrictor.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

1.1 is no good for me if O2 won't let me use it over 3G without signing up for the extra 15 a month 3GB limit tethering option.

Agree with the poster above, we need to draw a line in the sand with this whole "unlimited" marketing ploy

Thanks

T-Mobile in the UK is, AFAIK, the only network decent, fair policy.
    You can have a 1Gb limit and only 3G (not HSDPA) and no tethering or streaming for 7.50/month or for 12.50/month you can have a 3Gb limit everything (except VoIP). If you want VoIP you have to pay more and get a 5Gb limit.
    You pay your money and take your choice.
    That's why I use them
    And the fact that their HSDPA network is very good.
    And the fact that I get some very good discounts from them.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    God forbid people use the networks they actually pay AT&T for. This is such BS.
    Check out the iPod Nano 4th Gen case. I submitted the design! I know its not the best but its still exciting to see a product you helped design being sold.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    This can be looked at both ways. One might argue that if you are not happy with the network, DONT BUY THE PHONE.

That being said, I am just as annoyed as you are at this.
    I was perfectly happy with AT&T until they got the iPhone & their network has become almost unusable. It gets worse every time a new iPhone comes out.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.