+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft: How to Port an iPhone App to Windows Mobile

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Well, looks like the big MS wants a piece of that AppStore development crowd (and who wouldn't). In a recent case study appropriately titled "Porting the Amplitude Application from the
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Default Microsoft: How to Port an iPhone App to Windows Mobile

Well, looks like the big MS wants a piece of that AppStore development crowd (and who wouldn't). In a recent case study appropriately titled "Porting the Amplitude Application from the iPhone to a Windows Mobile Device – a Case Study," the big MS (actually, through a third party consulting firm) detailed precisely how to port an iPhone app over to Windows Mobile.

It's a solid read with code examples and addresses many questions devs might have.

States Mobility Today:

Microsoft plans to launch the Windows Marketplace for mobile applications in the fall, which in the U.S. means the late-September to late-December time frame. Last week Microsoft began accepting submissions of mobile-phone software applications for the site from registered developers in 29 countries. As an incentive, the company is offering prizes for the most popular applications as judged by downloads, revenue, usefulness and more. Apple already has a thriving marketplace for developers that build iPhone applications.
    Microsoft via Mobility Today (thanks, JazJon)

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks
    it's too late... They've already waited too long to capture any sizable portion of the market. They need to fire their R&D
    -Ben

Thanks

Interesting find, Who doesn't want a piece of the app store. It's not like their going to make any money off of it nor will it motivate the average consumer to buy a Windows Mobile device. So why do it?
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well windows marketplace doesnt have as many restrictions as the app store does which is why some developers are switching to windows to get their app to take off

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxpwnxx View Post
    well windows marketplace doesnt have as many restrictions as the app store does which is why some developers are switching to windows to get their app to take off
    That, and as much as I hate to admit it, I still like Windows Mobile (not as much as my iPhone though), and there are a lot of people out there still with Windows Mobiles phones... They won't be able to make a market impact like the iPhone is, but it will be nice for those individuals that can't get iPhones (on other networks) to have good apps.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I just wonder how long it will be before Apple says developer's can't do this. (They shouldn't, but then again they shouldn't try to stop their developers from writing for jailbroken phones as well)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by auburnguy32 View Post
    it's too late... They've already waited too long to capture any sizable portion of the market. They need to fire their R&D
    I wouldn't say so, unless we think the appstore is on its way out... Personally I think they need to make Winmo more desirable before working on porting apps. I have not used many of the latest versions but even up to a year ago Winmo was just... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I just wonder how long it will be before Apple says developer's can't do this. (They shouldn't, but then again they shouldn't try to stop their developers from writing for jailbroken phones as well)
    I am sure they will try, but I would think that would be a clear antitrust issue.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 08-19-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This news might be what finally pushes me over the edge and get the T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

i think this is a waste of time on the windows front. theyve waited WAY too long

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No way I'm going back to use an OS that does not have multitouch screen, that feezes three times a day, and uses keyboard other than the iPhone lovely keyboard. I'm happy with using the Backgrounder.

Not going to have to buy a new HTC phone every half a year in order to get the latest firmware and TF3D.

Had been a winmo lover for too long and had been on that side in "winmo vs iPhone vs stone debate", but now I'm official with the "dark side" and happy here.

Thanks

Microsoft is a big evil giant that doesn't think of original ideas. It has got a lot of stuff off of Apple. First GUI, then Quicktime. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple files another lawsuit against Microsoft.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think it's funny that Apple's innovations can so easily improve the user experience of their competitors... not just by inspiring App Store knock-offs, but by not seeking exclusive agreements for the most popular apps and allowing them to be so easily ported. They should have learned a thing or two from the video game console wars. Once software like Pandora and Shazam have similar experiences on competing app stores there will be less incentive to stay with iPhone OS, especially with the attraction that open platforms provide... for example, if I could download an iPhone-like on-screen keyboard with haptic feedback on a WinMo phone, that's one less reason to stick with the iPhone.

Who wouldn't want their app to do double-duty and reach a larger customer base? If your app is on iPhone OS, WebOS, Android, Blackberry, and WinMo, you're covered (screw Symbian ). Everyone else better jump on board... it's not like WinMo and Android aren't available to Sony and Nokia (I know at least Sony is working on an Android phone) and Sony has used PalmOS on their "smart" devices in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by A_DuB187 View Post
    Interesting find, Who doesn't want a piece of the app store. It's not like their going to make any money off of it nor will it motivate the average consumer to buy a Windows Mobile device. So why do it?
    We don't like your insinuation that my brother and I and others like us do not exist. If we could have the usability benefits of the iPhone with a more open platform (a true "smartphone"), we would switch.

Quote Originally Posted by daching View Post
    Microsoft is a big evil giant that doesn't think of original ideas. It has got a lot of stuff off of Apple. First GUI, then Quicktime. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple files another lawsuit against Microsoft.
    Apple didn't invent the GUI. Apple stole it too, you know. It's not like Microsoft would still be using a command prompt had Apple never used it. Also, just what are you implying that they'd be sued for? Porting applications has been performed since the beginning of mechanical computing and programming languages. Alsao, saying that they "stole" Quicktime is laughable. Quicktime had no good reason to exist other than to strong-arm media companies into using a Mac format. How did MS "steal" it? Are you referring to their old version of WMP that could play back some old version of QT files? Decoding it does not equate to "stealing" it and, even so, Apple quickly blocked that. That was more than 10 years ago IIRC anyway.

AND JUST WHAT IS IT THAT YOU ARE IMPLYING THAT THEY STOLE HERE?! The ability to "port" something? The app store? Hello: Controlled software distribution has existed as long as home game consoles have and attempts to block unapproved software has as well. Apple's competitors simply miss-judged how popular a restricted but centralized marketplace would be.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Therre he goes again trying to steal some more sh!t...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's not necessarily about Microsoft's push to get into the game, but the developer's options and percentage of audience they're able to reach.

Last I checked, Apple's iPhone took 10.8% of the market. That leaves a remaining 89.2% that the developer can tap into in order to sell their application. If they can port it over easily and primarily build for the iPhone, then they've saved themselves that much more time in having to build separately for another system....with a separate API...with separate language, etc.

This might actually be successful in getting popoular apps over to the MDN platform and increase exposure for apps.

Thanks

um...you did know that Windows Mobile has been in the marketplace for 6 or 7 years, right? they were the leaders of the smartphone movement along with Palm.

they already have a sizable portion of the market.

you guys really need more perspective in your lives.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thumbs up Well Said
    Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    I think it's funny that Apple's innovations can so easily improve the user experience of their competitors... not just by inspiring App Store knock-offs, but by not seeking exclusive agreements for the most popular apps and allowing them to be so easily ported. They should have learned a thing or two from the video game console wars. Once software like Pandora and Shazam have similar experiences on competing app stores there will be less incentive to stay with iPhone OS, especially with the attraction that open platforms provide... for example, if I could download an iPhone-like on-screen keyboard with haptic feedback on a WinMo phone, that's one less reason to stick with the iPhone.

Who wouldn't want their app to do double-duty and reach a larger customer base? If your app is on iPhone OS, WebOS, Android, Blackberry, and WinMo, you're covered (screw Symbian ). Everyone else better jump on board... it's not like WinMo and Android aren't available to Sony and Nokia (I know at least Sony is working on an Android phone) and Sony has used PalmOS on their "smart" devices in the past.

We don't like your insinuation that my brother and I and others like us do not exist. If we could have the usability benefits of the iPhone with a more open platform (a true "smartphone"), we would switch.

Apple didn't invent the GUI. Apple stole it too, you know. It's not like Microsoft would still be using a command prompt had Apple never used it. Also, just what are you implying that they'd be sued for? Porting applications has been performed since the beginning of mechanical computing and programming languages. Alsao, saying that they "stole" Quicktime is laughable. Quicktime had no good reason to exist other than to strong-arm media companies into using a Mac format. How did MS "steal" it? Are you referring to their old version of WMP that could play back some old version of QT files? Decoding it does not equate to "stealing" it and, even so, Apple quickly blocked that. That was more than 10 years ago IIRC anyway.

AND JUST WHAT IS IT THAT YOU ARE IMPLYING THAT THEY STOLE HERE?! The ability to "port" something? The app store? Hello: Controlled software distribution has existed as long as home game consoles have and attempts to block unapproved software has as well. Apple's competitors simply miss-judged how popular a restricted but centralized marketplace would be.
    Well said.... Im back to WinMo myself... iPhone started to bore me... Ill keep my iPod Touch tho