Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TomTom Turn by Turn GPS - $100 in AppStore Now

Default whats the problem with everyone...
    i don get why everyoens feraking out over the price and the GB it takes up... its a hardcore navigation system, if u dont like it simplly dont buy it...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Navigon seems to be the one that everyone compares with TomTom.

I think in some countries you might not see the vast difference in map quality, but in Australia it is like night and day. Navigon's map is at least two years outdated, with very limited POI, and NO speed limit information on any of the Sydney Metropolitan road that I've tried it on. Navigon's main navigation screen is hard to read with the text color being almost the same as its background. It's GPS signal strength is weak (Trust me. I've tested that extensively side by side with Sygic). Not being able to show ALL navigation data on the screen and requiring users to touch the top and bottom bar to rotate through those information is another big weakness, as that compromises safty directly. I also don't like its half done simulation and multi-destination capability.

When I bought Navigon, I prematuredly declared that I'm dumping my Sygic which was really good (except with crappy keyboard and map zooming). I was so seduced by the reality view, but later found that I might never ever see it coming up, since so few intersection has that. I was so disappointed with Navigon that I got a refund, losing some money to paypal in the process. Sure Navigon is very cheap. Just AUD70 as compared to AUD100 for TomTom, but I'm 100% happy to have got rid of Navigon and bought TomTom.

Thanks

The price is set right with what you would pay if you were to buy the software for your computer with a GPS receiver, or a Windows Mobile phone.

It's well worth the $100.

And; it's got all the maps for the US in it, so a 1GB in size is also about right for what it does.

So no, not an epic failure. If you want to spend $50 on a separate unit that you have to carry around with you, and forget it at home, that's your choice. Or, you could get this software, and take it with you everywhere.
    Last edited by Squeaky369; 08-17-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks

one thing i've noticed is certain gps apps will have the popup asking you to use your location, and some don't.

navigon doesn't have the popup, it automatically uses the gps
    sygic doesn't have it
    gps kit doesn't
    motionX gps doesn't

tomtom does have the popup
    g-map drive does
    geocaching does
    Last edited by Rescuer; 08-17-2009 at 07:32 PM.

I just have a question, what if you don't have 3G reception what happens then?

iPhone? More like MyPhone treble26's Avatar
    Thanks

HOLY MOTHER EFFIN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is way too damn expensive!! some stand alone GPS systems cost less and they come with the mount and they get the job done. i know Apple has a lot of stupid customers but damn!! Tom Tom and Apple need to change this price tag. or offer a trial version.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Well I gave in to see what the buzz was about. I'll take a trip tomorrow and tell you how it all goes.

Here's some screenies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0373.png   -img_0374.png   -img_0376.png   -img_0377.png   -img_0378.png   -img_0379.png   -img_0380.png   -img_0375.png  

Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

TomTom FTW!!!!!!!!!

wow cant beleive how awesome this app is, accurate as effin hell

100 dollars is just getting greedy.

They obviously are caught up in their original business model, which required people to actually go to a shop and buy a physical unit to put in their car. Are they forgetting that they now have their app effectively in the hands of 10 million people? If they made the app $20 and nearly everyone who had an iPhone bought it, they would make close to 200 million dollars. As it stands they are pricing themselves out of the market, and whoever thought $99 was a good number is mentally retarded, and probably still does their sums on an abacus.

What will happen now is less people will buy the app, probaly less then would have bought an original Tom tom. and they will feel very foolish in about 6 months.

Thanks
    Let's wait till some cracks this app, then freeeeee. JK stealing is wrong!!!
    Maps app does the same thing...!
    I'll spend a 100 on a new 3G...lol

Do you Want it Free? because it's been out since early Sunday! it does work a little better than most, but it needs a more work! and is a 1.25GB!! hell of an app!

how did you get it working on your JB phone...
    EDIT CPJR - YOU BUY IT, WHATS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT?
    Last edited by cpjr; 08-18-2009 at 07:24 PM.

The pirated app theifs disgust me, all that mention anything to that sort should get a IP ban, whos with me?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bobright For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (08-17-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ They already do after three mentions

BTW. I drove around this evening using TomTom and Navigon. I have to say that while TomTom has some nice features, Navigon is so much nicer to look at and is easier to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by agent005 View Post
    I know! I can save a $100 and learn to use an actual physical map! Call me crazy....
    No, in the Army we'd call you a 13F or Forward Observor! lol

Ok, $99 is just insane. I own a Garmin (best vehicle GPS as far as engine goes hand down), and I would love to add this to my phone just "in-case", but NOT for $99. lol Ridiculous.

ITT 7 pages of people shocked at a $100 price tag when I and other have been telling you that was going to be the price range for MONTHS and if you honestly expected anything less well you're an idiot!

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

^ nicely said

Why is every paid app release thread always results in people complaining about the price and talking about how to steal it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    ITT 7 pages of people shocked at a $100 price tag when I and other have been telling you that was going to be the price range for MONTHS and if you honestly expected anything less well you're an idiot!
    only the noobs have their page post count set really low.

We are on page 3

Thanks

^ haha. true

I'm sorry, I can only take so much stupidity per page. If I set the post count per page to the max I would have killed myself by now. I read a page, yell at the monitor for a while, go take a smoke break, then come back for more punishment.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast