+ Reply
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TomTom Turn by Turn GPS - $100 in AppStore Now

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
After using TomTom for a few days, I am just shocked that people think it's the best navigation app. I mean it's really really bad in comparison to Navigon and
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

After using TomTom for a few days, I am just shocked that people think it's the best navigation app. I mean it's really really bad in comparison to Navigon and Copilot. They must be TomTom fanboys.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr.sparky View Post
    Well Im "trying" out TomTom,Navigon,and Sygic and so far I like Navigon A LOT better The TomTom is just OK NOT WOTRH $100+$$$ for the dock USD NOW WAY NO HOW If Im going to spend that much money Ill buy a standalone GPS
    I have had Navigon for a while. It's a great GPS, but it does not want to pick up/to lock the GPS signal/reception if you're driving more than 10 miles/hr. This sucks big time when you're driving on the freeway. Probably this is one of the safety features.

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    I have had Navigon for a while. It's a great GPS, but it does not want to pick up/to lock the GPS signal/reception if you're driving more than 10 miles/hr. This sucks big time when you're driving on the freeway. Probably this is one of the safety features.
    Really...It works GREAT for me I just wish the POI where a lil better
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o260/cpjr1979/dc5274181cd827585d4bb6d16bedb210cop.png
    Steroids are yummy

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

TomTom, Navigon, Sygic and the iPhone | Digihub Blog | digihub.brisbanetimes.com.au

Here's a recent article that compares the top 3 GPS Apps. It leans towards TomTom but it points out the advantages both Sygic and Navigon has. However, it seems holding the phone or not having it in a dashboard mount (with clear LOS) makes all 3 apps more unreliable.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    TomTom, Navigon, Sygic and the iPhone | Digihub Blog | digihub.brisbanetimes.com.au

Here's a recent article that compares the top 3 GPS Apps. It leans towards TomTom but it points out the advantages both Sygic and Navigon has. However, it seems holding the phone or not having it in a dashboard mount (with clear LOS) makes all 3 apps more unreliable.
    Good read.
    [UPDATE: Navigon has confirmed its next update will include text-to-speech]

Thanks
    Thanked 9,162 Times in 5,673 Posts

I have tried almost all these apps myself and for me they all have things that I wish were better. Bottom line is I just love the look of Navigon. Means nothing I know. It's just nicer to look at. A girl thing? Maybe. I have no more problems with Navigon dropping signal than Tom Tom. I agree with Noddles, I bought a car windshield type mount for my phone that has decreased the GPS drop out.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    Ive had a similar experience today, as stated before this app freaking rocks my socks off!!!

to the dude calling all us b****cks who praised it suck me sideways
    @bobright
    Without getting in a deep discussion of the word "b****cks" and it's many many uses in the English (UK) language, this particular use was the equivalent of "bulls**t" so I didn't call anyone who praised it "b****cks" but the actual statements they were making.

It works for you. Great. I'm happy for you.
    But it doesn't mean it'll work for everyone else, and there is more and more feedback on the AppStore from people complaining about the loss of GPS signal, and the navigation via Contacts not working.

You seem to be missing the point of my last post. I'm not anti-TomTom. Far from it. I just don't think it's right that people buy this TomTom App, spend 20 mins using it, then declare it's "The best Sat Nav software for the iPhone" just because it's TomTom.

1. Using it for a quick trip is not long enough to test all the features, or the strength of the GPS signal. It needs to be tested in all conditions, different terrain and over more mileage. Mounted on the dash, or in the windscreen with a clear view of the sky. Even UV treated windscreens or other electronic devices can affect GPS signal, so a lot of factors to consider.

2. If buyers do not own any of the other iPhone Sat Nav software, they have nothing to compare it to and can't say it's "the best"

3. There are alternatives to TomTom, each with their own unique selling point: Navigon , CoPilot, Sygic etc, whether it's look and feel, overall performance, features or cost.

There are also a lot of buyers of the TomTom software already craving for an update. This also should set alarm bells ringing for any people considering a purchase.

I can't comment on Sygic because I've never tried it, but both Navigon and CoPilot announced an upcoming update when they released their software, listing the fixes and improvements that it delivers. Navigon have already delivered theirs. TomTom, however have announced no such update. After announcing this software months ago, and not giving any info about any release date, it doesn't give us much confidence in TomTom on how long it will be before there will be an update, what it will include, or whether there will be one at all.

For such a large Navigation company this actual release is disappointing. If the iPhone GPS chip is not up to the job for Sat Nav, then they shouldn't release the software until their car mount is ready and available.

I also can't comment on other GPS enabled phone devices (HTC, Nokia, Samsung etc), but may of them appear to have similar issues with the capabilities of the internal GPS when they're used for Navigation. All the Sat Nav developers for the iPhone are blaming the hardware, but it doesn't explain why the Google Maps app performs much better at maintaining an accurate position or tracking movements.

So far it seems the GPS enabled car mount is a must for anyone wanting to use their iPhone as a Sat Nav unit, using any one of the Apps available for this purpose. Just choose one that suits your requirements, cost, features, user interface etc, and don't just assume TomTom is better just because of the name.

Oh, and for those of us who're comparing Navigation software on the grounds of how long it takes to reload after taking a call, even though driving around with no idea where we are, bear this video in mind:

http://www.gwent.police.uk/leadnews.php?a=2172

Pull over to take that call, and wait for the Sat Nav to reload before driving off. A few seconds is nothing when it comes to safety.
    Last edited by InspectorGadget171175; 08-24-2009 at 07:46 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kwickone's Avatar
    Thanks

@InspectorGadget171175

Freaky video to say the least. Thanks for posting. Certainly makes things we all take for granted more serious.

After having TomTom for 1 week now, still only doing short "around town" trips, I simply say that it is "just ok". I really don't like that it does not say the street names
    kwickone I.T.H.

Thanks

for some reason i am able to read the tomtom app better than navigon. it seems to show me upcoming streets alot better. just personal opinion. i do find navigons voice instructions alot better though. i think it just goes down to personal opinion on this one. ive had no issue on gps signal on either app. i didnt pay for sygic so i cant speak on that one

i think they are both great GPS apps and each have thier own benefits. once i figured out how addresses worked i was very pleased with both apps.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

tried out this app and I'd say it isn't worth the $100, it runs slower than a stand alone gps, and sometimes the gps signal isn't strong at all, it'll say my location is a quarter mile down from where I actually am. it works dot get me wrong, but not as good as an actual tomtom gps device. I'm slightly disappointed I must say, and feel like I've ben scammed into thinking the iPhone can do more than it actually can.

Thanks

i guess i dont use GPS like the rest of you do. everyone seems so picky about it. im chill with it just telling me where to turn. for me it doesnt have to be like spot on perfect. just help me get where i need to go. if you are a power GPS user i would suggest getting an actual GPS, plus tomtom claims its mount should enhance the GPS signal
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwickone View Post

After having TomTom for 1 week now, still only doing short "around town" trips, I simply say that it is "just ok". I really don't like that it does not say the street names
    +1, Every other navi app has street names

Thanks
    I like NAVIGON tomtom is selling the name ......tested it out and its not too shabby , LOTS of POI but like i said NAVIGON is pretty cool too !!! NO WAREZ ON MMI! -SB
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 08-25-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks
    sorry about that

Thanks

No worries

Green Apple
    Thanks

only us and canada

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have been using the included maps feature and like its usablity just fine. I don't really need "turn by turn" for the most part just sometimes I just need to find out "where the hell am I and how the hell do I get out of here!" however a few points make it not that usable for me.

it requires a phone signal, if you are not in signal range, you do not have a map.

I drive a lot of rural locations, I use a standard 2D navigation system (a map) most of the time. Actually a state GPS grid map.
    one other thing I have noticed with the maps progam many roads just aren't there, you have to switch to sattelite view and trace the dirt trails in the trees.

I was actually pretty pumped when I heard of the TomTom app and I admit I have sort of had my head in the sand and have not heard of the others.

a couple questions please

if you have no phone signal, which apps have the maps stored in the phone or allow you to preload certian maps.

who has the most DETAILED maps... especially for rural areas. or can you install your own maps if you can find them.

Thanks

Rge turn by turn map apps such as CoPilot, TomTom, Navigon etc all have maps stored on your device, you don't need a phone signal. But they are all for roads only - not off road use.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

technically they are roads, just made of dirt.

the Navigation in my old car showed the roads on the screen and the icon for where you were, but it did say turn by turn navigation was not available.

+ Reply
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910