+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple sells 5 Million iPhones to China Unicom, Hitting market in September?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Just leave Ver$on, those money hungry thieves, and go with Tmobile. Cost less, still no 3G though... But we do get MMS and tethering...!
    Thanks
    Just leave Ver$on, those money hungry thieves, and go with Tmobile.
    Cost less, still no 3G though... But we do get MMS and tethering...!

Thanks

Just to clear some things up:
    If the China Unicom iPhone isn't subsided then they might have trouble selling it since the iPhone already sells on the Chinese grey market for a mere 400 yuan ($59) to 1,000 yuan ($146).
    (if you want a real iPhone here your are going to pay about a 10% premium).

After living here in China for about a year and looking into iPhone stuff here I have not seen any Apple iPhones for sale at that price. There are plenty of cheap knock-offs for about that price but no real iPhones.

Also here in China "iPhone" is a registered trademark of a local cell-phone manufacture and is on many different models of phones.

China might have some phones that are "more advanced" then the iPhone but not across the board. Even with that though, the iPhone is very popular here and I see many people with them or the cheap knock-offs walking around.

I should have said: You're going to pay about a 10% premium over the US non-subsidized price.
    Last edited by eremeya; 08-13-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Hey Sayam any idea as to when the iphone 3GS will launch in India...as there is no announcement yet...wherein last year the 3G was announced on the 6th of August and was put on sale on the 22nd of August...Do you know any place in Mumbai where I can get the iphone 3GS through grey market.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^^ Its available @ Heera Panna but for a stupid price of Rs.40000 (800$) for a Locked Piece (Soft Unlocked obviously) and Rs.50000 (1000$) for a 32GB.

Ofcourse, you can haggle and get it down to 36k for 16GB and 45k for the 32GB.

I just ordered mine from eBay Australia, because the iPhone 3GS is coming to India only mid/end of September. Heard this from the manager for a local iStore. Its because Apple has a shortage of stock (understandable) so their ignoring India for now (unbelievable )
    Last edited by Ad1tya; 08-13-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks

wth...this is insane...if it is launched in Sept end or start of Oct this means there is only a period of 9-10 months for the Jun 2010 ver ...Really bad organizational skills and production power(especially when you are producing in China with all that manpower) Apple on top of that you are even jeopardizing your brand name by sidetracking countries that are supposed to get the iphone in Aug as per the schedule date mentioned at WWDC just to meet the shortage where it has already been launched

Thanks

Sales in India have been really poor so they are concentrating on markets that actually want the iPhone...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

whatever the case i just dont feel its professional on Apple's part to mention Aug as the launching month in the presentation at WWDC and then not launch as per schedule.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by screamankit View Post
    whatever the case i just dont feel its professional on Apple's part to mention Aug as the launching month in the presentation at WWDC and then not launch as per schedule.
    Yes but sadly it's all about the money and Apple's going to put the pieces where they'll sale first.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Thanks

and thats when the brand reputation goes down...the reason...money...well lets be positive and see what happens as we still have 17 days to go in Aug...fingers crossed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a strong suspicion that the iphone is not going to do well in a "white" market, in china. Why would it? They can get "grey" market phones that actually have wifi for almost the same price. I sense epic fail.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As to why there's no wifi function for the iPhone in China, I guess they're trying to force iPhone users to use their 3G network for web and other internet activities. Starting early this year, China Unicom started a campagin to promote their new 3G network. It has nothing to do with the wifi standard, which is the same as everywhere else in the world.

Fail or not, it all depends on the market price of the iPhone and the rate of 3G network. The coverage of the 3G network is very decent. If the rate could come down a bit, there should be plenty market for the iPhone in China.

Edit: I did a quick search. It appears that the market price for the iPhone will be around CNY2000(about USD300) with a 2 years plan, which is not bad compared to the CNY5000(almost USD700) price you'll have to pay in the grey market.
    Last edited by pewpewouch; 08-16-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

The reason it has no widi is because the 802.xx standards used in the rest of the world are not approved in China.
    There is no point in buying an iPhone with WiFi because there is no Wifi for it it connect to!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    No. WCDMA is UMTS which is what the iPhone (and the rest of the world) uses. What you Americans call CDMA is CDMA-2000
    Thank you for the clarification.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

yeahhhh good luck with that China

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The reason it has no widi is because the 802.xx standards used in the rest of the world are not approved in China.
    There is no point in buying an iPhone with WiFi because there is no Wifi for it it connect to!
    But my iphone wifi works when I was in Shanghai a couple months ago

Thanks

It certainly shouldn't have done!
    I'm sure there are some illegal WiFi networks there but that doesn't make it the norm or anything thr chinese government would sanction.

Thanks

No. WCDMA is UMTS which is what the iPhone (and the rest of the world) uses. What you Americans call CDMA is CDMA-2000
    I love how you refer to us as "you Americans"
    better than yanks at least ^_^
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12