+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Company Publishes 943 iPhone Apps in 9 Months, Gets Banned from AppStore

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
So... I'm not sure whether to be more disappointed with Apple or the publisher on this one. Khalid Shaikh, founder of Perfect Acumen (now doesn't that website just bleed confidence-in-company
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

Default Company Publishes 943 iPhone Apps in 9 Months, Gets Banned from AppStore

So... I'm not sure whether to be more disappointed with Apple or the publisher on this one. Khalid Shaikh, founder of Perfect Acumen (now doesn't that website just bleed confidence-in-company and originality), until recently had over 900 apps in the AppStore. 943 to be exact. In under 9 months. That's a little under 4 apps a day.... for 250 days. His company is based out of Pakistan, and has 26 employees on a "strict schedule of 12 hours a day, 6 days a week." Sounds fresh and invigorating.

All the apps were $4.99.

Apple recently completely revoked his developer license and pulled all the apps out of the AppStore.

Now, mind you, Apple approved every one of these apps. Some took up to 6 weeks, but they all made through the review process. Most all of them were apps that simply pulled info from an RSS feed somewhere (not even his content) and displayed it. The apps were then called like "US Army News" or "WWE Updates." WWE Updates didn't even work - half the time you'd get news about Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson in the WWE might have been funny, but it sure never happened.

Apparently, from comments made over the phone to MobileCrunch, Shaikh was pulling in thousands of dollars DAILY from sales. Which makes absolute sense, but holy crApps... people will buy anything.

So the question that begs to be answered is - what the crap, Apple? However lame the guy's apps were, nearly a thousand of them were approved BY APPLE, and the guy was then generating a small fortune, most likely into the hundreds of thousands of dollars monthly. Apple cut that 100% in an instant. The guy's stuff never should have been allowed in the first place if they had an issue with it - or for SURE not 1000 of them. I mean... I could see a few dozen slipping by (I'm sure there's hundreds and hundreds of reviewers), but... 943? Honest? And then to completely pull the plug without warning? What is going on in Cupertino?

And Perfect Acumen isn't the only story like this - another company named Brighthouse Labs has over 2000 apps in the AppStore which are similar - information aggregators. Another great reason to sell your app in the Cydia Store, ha.

Is this ok? Who should be the judge? Does a crappy app mean you shouldn't be able to sell it? What makes a crappy app? How many is too many, and why? Is any of this objective? Apple's definitely dropping the ball here, but I don't envy them their position of simultaneous benefactor and hangman.

MobileCrunch via ipodnn

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

zellco (08-07-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

That sucks, if they didn't want them they shouldn't have approved them

Thanks

I bet out of the 943 Apps 942 are completely WORTHLESS. God knows how many fart apps they have...
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think the reason they revoked their developer license was all the complaints and bad reviews the apps where getting. So it would make sense once they revoke your license they would remove all your apps from the app store.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Whew!!! I thought I was the only one stupid enough to pay for junk! (Haha)

Thanks

While it's wrong, and abuse of power, honestly, we are all sick of the 63K apps that are repetitive and worthless. Now we only have 62K that are worthless and 2K that are worth something!
    iPhone 4- I'll start theming again

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

"So many junk." And Google Voice gets rejected? What the hell is going here?

Thanks

It should have been taken out, but it should have stayed because apple gets however many % from his sales. So it doesnt work anyhow.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I am assuming that this is the same developer mentioned here:
    Apple Revokes Developer License of App Store's 3rd Most Prolific Developer - iPhone Hacks

If so, what the article here fails to mention is that this developer had several complaints of copyright infringement placed against them and Apple had contacted the developer to get them to revise or remove the infringing Apps and the developer didn't even respond.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Cocchiararo's Avatar
    Thanks

its weird really, since aple gets money when you get money :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

what bothers me is why are the apps even approved by apple in first place if most of them didnt work as claimed and had issues with the copyrights

Green Apple
    Thanks

Finally! I hate this person's stupid apps. They are like spam in the appstore. Completely worthless and hella overpriced. Free would be too expensive for the garbage he published.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I think Apple is burying itself more and more with all the news lately
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

photoguy (08-05-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Just because Apple is taking so much heat for pulling the Google apps they decided to do this to try and show that they care about all of us, but we all know they only care about one thing, $$$$$$$! They're the ones that approved the apps in the first place. Even if the apps suck, we all have the choice whether to buy them or not. This company just got completely screwed over by Apple just to take the focus off how they screwed over Google.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

The point is correct though - multiple copyright infringement on the developers part!

Thanks

I'm excited to hear they were pulled. That's 943 garbage apps and one BK developer out of the way. Maybe Apple is finally starting to take steps in the right direction. Assuming they keep up the good work, here's a future message to all the bad developers I've left complaints on: Bungie.net : Halo 3 File Details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I am assuming that this is the same developer mentioned here:
    Apple Revokes Developer License of App Store's 3rd Most Prolific Developer - iPhone Hacks

If so, what the article here fails to mention is that this developer had several complaints of copyright infringement placed against them and Apple had contacted the developer to get them to revise or remove the infringing Apps and the developer didn't even respond.
    In this case, Apple is correct.

Thanks

more bad apples than good apples. did anyone say quality assurance? or they were too busy fighting google.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

lol

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

We need less crap app and more good apps, I think any app with 2 stars or below should get a warning from Apple, if the devs still don't make it better after an update, it should be removed totally!! Making it much easier to browse the store

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

dieg0_o (08-06-2009), Gustavo Saliola (08-06-2009), timbo (08-05-2009)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast