+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: From Jailbreak to AppStore (and back?!?!) [GIVEAWAY INSIDE]

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I'm still missing Chuzzle. As far as I know, it's not around anymore. There were quite a few good jailbroken games back in the day. It's nice to see most
    Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm still missing Chuzzle. As far as I know, it's not around anymore. There were quite a few good jailbroken games back in the day. It's nice to see most of them in the App Store. It'd be great if a few more were in there though (or at least updated to work on 3.0).
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks
    Ok, give me please...

What's Jailbreak? alanflowerman's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmmmmm,
    I'm not a "dev" but am currently trying to convince two separate devs to go to Cydia store, one guy has a brilliant app that will be ruined if its put in the AppStore. It will get lost in all the clutter and cr@p. To run at it's best it would need to run in the background and Apple ain't gonna let that happen. If he puts in the AppStore it will get hawked for $2.00 maybe $3.00. But running right systemwide its worth $10.00.
    Good apps are worth good $$$ I use CydiaStore and Rock Your Phone Apps not because they are free but because they are GOOD and push the phone to do what works for me. The AppStore is now little more than a junk yard so full of cr@p that I can't be bothered looking anymore..
    Cheers
    AlanF (UK)

Green Apple
    Thanks

to tell you the truth as cydia gains more and more exposure and popularity, I believe that it can one day compete with the appstore. the various venders and app developers are seeing the benefits of utilizing cydia over the appstore.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I feel that because of the whole "you can only sell a lot if you sell for $0.99" system, is the root cause of all the horrible apps on the AppStore. From a consumer perspective, it sucks. What ever happened to competition drives innovation? But from a developer perspective, it could almost be smarter to sell on Cydia; however I don't know what the numbers are on the "other side." Some really really cool apps could be made for the iPhone, but if you can only sell for $1, then I feel like the devs don't try as hard, and if they do try and then sell it for more, people are just gonna crack it and get it for free. Apple needs to do something about this loophole, and they need to do it quick. But anyways, I would like to win a promo code, because this game reminds me of the game on PS3, called Buzz! Quiz TV, which is like my favorite game ever!
    "99 luft balloons"

iPhone? More like MyPhone GHOSTYAIRO's Avatar
    Thanks

This is definitively one of the reasons why apple wants the jailbreak to be illegal, they're loosing it, they want to be the king of the applications but the reject great applications like GV Mobile or google's app itself, and let application that doesn't do anything at all (I don't want to say names for respect to the developers).
    At this point even great games will be leaving apple for good and will take cydia as their "home sweet-app home"
    That would be really good, because that way the jailbreak community would grow even more.
    Because 1 thing I hate about appstore is the fact that some apps are crap, but we spend about a dollar buying them just to see if they are good. (that's why I love Appolous) I've brought about 15 apps from the appstore and 3 from cydia, so the percent based on the amount of app to sell tells me that cydia won, at least for me.
    αGoD HaS THe⌃oF My LiFe aND i DoN'T WaNNa⎋*Ⓘ♡Ⓜⓨⓘⓗⓞⓝⓔ

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ah the old'en days of JB and pretty sweet apps that were FREE. can't beat that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

I agree with the only one outlet to have developers put there work is rough. It is like opening only one store in a major city and no others are allowed in. The appstore has been packed with a lot of stuff that you have to sift through to find what you want. Also the apps that are developed for cydia are more useful because they harness the real power of the iPhone by letting it do major things. Such as DiDitDahText or yourtube which allow you to embed the program within local programs.
    Also to some that I have seen on other forums, having everything free is not the purpose of jailbreaking. Jailbreaking is for you to have a more open world, some of the stuff is free but quality is better rewarded.

I wouldn't mind a free game but still a great article.
    Last edited by Cer0; 08-04-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think it is great that Cydia is making money off of their new store. The App Store is nice and has some top notch programs, but it is very limited. There may be 60k apps, but 40k of them are probably worthless. Everytime I click on the "whats new" tab.. it's the same thing as last time. Cydia's "changes" tab is wonderful. Sure it's not all glamorous looking, but you don't need to press "load next 25." Then.. of course.. you have your awesome programs on Cydia that App Store would never allow. Winterboard, Yourtube, OpenSSH, Terminal, SBSettings, Cycorder for 2g/3g, and of course my favorite, iFile...

One thing that I did not like about Cydia Store was the part where you need to verify with google or facebook. I don't like the fact that you need to enter your email password. I know that this does not go to Cydia, but it still caught me off guard. IMO for verification, you should have to enter your email and Cydia would send you a verification link. Simply click/activate and you are set.

2nd.. I am no programmer by any means.. but I am really surprised that more specific apps have not hit Cydia yet. Why has no one jumped on the SABnzb ball? App Store has myNZB which freakin sucks because you can only load nzb's from Newzbin. I would easily pay $5.99+ for an SABnzb app that I could load my freshly downloaded .nzb files from the new Safari Downloader. Why has SendSong not been ported since the 1.1.3 days? Simply email your music "without guessing the file," or make a ringtone in seconds!! A bluetooth tool to send your phonebook to certain bluetooth devices would be nice too. These are just a few examples, but I could name plenty more.

Overall, Cydia is great! I could care less about loading time that really doesn't take that long. If you were to make it look pretty, I think that would ruin the overall feel to it. I have 3 times as many apps installed from Cydia as I do the App Store. Keep up the great work Jay Freeman!

btw.. if anyone would like specific details on what an good nzb program should include.. drop me a msg. I feel you could make some bank if you advertised correctly!
    Last edited by an0ther; 08-04-2009 at 05:45 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The jailbreak community has come a long way, hasn't it?

I remember those old apps, and they really are gems. I can't believe that people are actually starting to make some serious cash off of just a little innovation...but that's the way things work. It's barely been a year...I wonder what else they will think of.

I really hope that Apple changes something that will make the app store better. At first, I was able to browse and see many an app. Now? I can't find anything. Most apps just copy off one another...with different UI. The farting apps are a perfect example.

Anyway. Here's to entering into another contest I'm sure I won't win, but hey, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take right?
    iPhone 4- I'll start theming again

Thanks

I miss that game, that would be cool!!
    Last edited by jmnorton82; 08-04-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    I think the Cydia store is a nice alternative to developers who cannot get past the apple review process. Its nice to see things go the other way as well for developers. I hope all good apps can make it our phones somehow, I don't really care if its via cydia or appstore, just keep the quality coming.

Thanks

whooo! free apps!
    Currently addicted to Modern Warfare 2! add me on PSN: A_Mexican_guy

iPhone? More like MyPhone oldskoolkid13's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha I remember all those apps way back when... I think i actually beta tested for iBlackjack. I think its good that they all got thier start on installer because they had a whole community to test thier app and give accurate feedback on its concept and function. In fact, I think more developers should put in cydia during testing and whatnot...

If I helped you at all please hit the thanks button 4 me!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's about bloody time this happened! Cydia has always been a better choice for developers! With no rediculous sign-up fee for a developer program and no content restrictions, as well as the reasons in the first post, Im truly shocked it took the developers this long! I think we can add +1 for the jailbreak community, and still 0 for Apple (unless you factor in the sh!tstorm that turned into the iPhone 3GS, then it'd be -1)

But of course, this will come with side effects. This will aggrivate Apple more than they already are from their newest loss of revenue (first, unlocking. Then App cracking). While I support the major devs switching, I just want them to be careful and not push Apple off the "assassinate-you-in-your-sleep" deep end.

<3 you guys

Edit: Another point I'd like to bring up is the contrast between app store customers and Cydia customers: most app store customers are young, naive, and/or stupid. They wouldn't know a good app if it bit them in their freshly descended [Redacted]. Thankfully, these are the kind of people who don't know how to or have never heard of jailbreak, or the ones that fall for Apple's propaganda. The common prescence of intelligence shared by Cydia customers makes us a responsible and trustworthy community "Blam!" system, so us as a whole will be able to ease stress on repo maintainers and keep the Cydia store clean.
    Last edited by Crosseyes; 08-04-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spell Fixes, typing on my i

What's Jailbreak? QuakeSocrates's Avatar
    Thanks
    cydia will always be an underground resource for people who spend a lot of time trolling forums. The majority of people already know from their own experience that most applications available to date have very little reusability after a few rounds. That's why you see 99 cent apps everywhere.

I commend your drive to pursue this alternative way of getting the apps to people but frankly if your unsigned with the mainstream crowd your chances are slim to make waves against the app store.

gl though.

I'm a Sagittarius...If you don't want to hear the truth then don't ask

Green Apple
    Thanks

would love to win this app. I feel the same wy the appstore is just way to overcrowed, and a majority of the apps are complete garbage. it really just takes away from the people that put time in effort into making quality apps. I prefer the cydia store instead, I have actually spent ore there then I have in the appstore, I love yourtube and haptic pro

Green Apple
    Thanks

I remember when Installer disappeared. I was bereft and resented Cydia, which I now love. I imagine such a change will happen again and again I'll resent it, mostly because change reminds me I'm a creature of time and that I don't have an unlimited supply. But when all is said and done, 3-party apps are the life blood of a device, a pooling of creativity, ideas, fun, and community, real community. I remember the heady days of the Palm Pilot and how things went happily viral when HackMaster was slipped for FREE to the community at large, allowing many of us to execute our ideas without Palm looking over our shoulders and benefiting us all. So, here's to thirty party apps, whatever their repository!

Thanks

Having option is good. We will keep supporting cydia. ;D

Thanks
    If cydia was not my iphone would hurt a lot
    If Apple was open we could see Steve's arse
    If we wouldn't need phones the iphone would be not

...after only 6 becks