Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Chinese iPhone 3G Approved, Caught in the Wild?

Thanks

Thumbs up Chinese iPhone 3G Approved, Caught in the Wild?

Apple has been struggling hard to bring iPhone into the Chinese market - but even after more than a years of trying, they've yet to achieve any solid success. Each round of negotiations have proven useless so far. According to a report by a Chinese news agency, the deal between China Unicom and Apple was confirmed and both signed a 3-year agreement. Though the spokesperson from China Unicom denied the fact, some new discoveries have been made to support the news. Sure, this is quite old news - but the new findings have strengthened the claim!

The fine folks over at Engadget notes a listing approved by China's State Radio Regulatory Commission (Chinese equivalent of FCC), which points towards a GSM / WCDMA device featuring Bluetooth and an internal model number A1324 submitted by the applicant "Apple, Inc." approved on 7th May, 2009. The approval runs for 5 years, making it quite comfortable for the Chinese carrier and Apple to enjoy a 3-year exclusivity deal.

On top of that, a Chinese blog has even posted some supposed pics of the Chinese iPhone in the wild! Noticeably, the picture with settings app opened shows no option for WiFi - strengthening the old claims of a WiFi-less iPhone for China. The images look pretty neat but of course CAN be fake - don't jump on to any conclusions until we get official word.

[Engadget]

Thanks

Why no WiFi?
    Apples taste good.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kruejl For This Useful Post:

A_DuB187 (08-02-2009)

formerly known as arturpokusin playful_cyanide's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kruejl View Post
    Why no WiFi?
    The supposed claim for no Wi-Fi is because, basically, they want to keep people on 3G.

I'm assuming that in China, there is basically Wi-Fi in a lot of places, thus eliminating the need for a 3G internet connection. Well, carriers want to charge people a heap amount of money for their data connection, and Apple is desperate enough to remove Wi-Fi in order to have the iPhone in China.
    Last edited by playful_cyanide; 08-02-2009 at 03:41 AM.
    Don't forget to hit
    Get your custom MMi Signature's here!

Join the MMi \/\/AVE experience

Quote Originally Posted by Kruejl View Post
    Why no WiFi?
    The internets couldn't travel through all the pollution. Zing!

Nice find Sayam. I'm assuming those would be sold factory unlocked, correct?
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

Thanks

Also, if the phone is GSM/WCDMA, would we be able to develop a hack to make the "Chinese iPhone" compatible with Verizon Wireless? (Of course, this would depend on the frequencies of the radio stacks)
    Don't forget to hit

I'm sure that the picture posted is just a preview in the works. I mean what about the app store market in china? If someone were to download an app over 10mb, the time required to download that app via 3G would be longer than a WiFi connection.And from the picture of the back of the iPhone, it doesn't look like a plastic back, or it's just scratched.

Great find...this is exciting stuff..I am sure the iPhone will look the same as the 3G/3GS. Waste of money for Apple to fabricate and entirely different device model
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by playful_cyanide View Post
    The supposed claim for no Wi-Fi is because, basically, they want to keep people on 3G.

I'm assuming that in China, there is basically Wi-Fi everywhere, thus eliminating the need for a 3G internet connection. Well, carriers want to charge people a heap amount of money for their data connection, and Apple is desperate enough to remove Wi-Fi in order to have the iPhone in China.
    I agree on that removing WIFI is intended to "encourage" users to do data connection through celluar network, but WIFI is not everywhere in China at least not everywhere in Shanghai.

no wifi?!! WTF
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

Thanks

Also, if the phone is GSM/WCDMA, would we be able to develop a hack to make the "Chinese iPhone" compatible with Verizon Wireless? (Of course, this would depend on the frequencies of the radio stacks)
    Nope . . . On contract basis

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

lol @ no wifi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nyyrikki View Post
    ...but WIFI is not everywhere in China at least not everywhere in Shanghai.
    Yeah. I have never been in China, thanks for the tip.
    Don't forget to hit

It better not having the iphone rather than having the iphone without wifi. What the purpose? Stupid Apple...
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

The reason for No Wifi if you have not been following the Issue with China taking so long approve the Iphone is because they predict that a lot of people will purchase the Iphone if the majority of people use the wifi signal over the wireless data signal 1) the carrier would take a huge hit in revenue and 2) China is intrusive when it comes to wireless communications they like to be in control and be able to monitor all traffic in the event of a terrorist attack and for them its a lot harder to monitor traffic going through a wireless device aka wireless phone, laptop then it is on the wireless data network. this has been what has been holding up the negotiations as well as a lot of other stuff but this has been one of the bigger factors to take care of is that they wanted no wifi on the iphone.

Thanks

BGI Swagger got it- it's harder to track packets and snoop through WiFi connection than to do the same through 3G data connection

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    BGI Swagger got it- it's harder to track packets and snoop through WiFi connection than to do the same through 3G data connection
    I sense sarcasm. . .
    Don't forget to hit

Thanks

Not so sure about that.
    Communism... human rights is very little known.
    I get (fun fun) stories about it everyday -_-
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Please guys,

iphones are already in China, big time. I just got back from the electronics mall and 70% of the shops a selling iphones, 3GS, jailbroken with redsnow and unlocked with ultrasnow.

The Chinese even has a programme that is equivalent to iTunes, except the progs are all free.

Apple is losing money for every day that they are late.

Thanks

I sense sarcasm. . .
    No, It's actually correct.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Communism is so awesome!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast