Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Adding Keywords to App Store for Better Searching

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default Apple Adding Keywords to App Store for Better Searching
    We all know the the App Store is a bit of a mess when you're trying to browse around for sweet applications. Apple knows as well and is trying to mitigate the issue a bit by improving the App Stores search capabilities.

Developers can now add up to 255 characters of keywords to their applications when they submit to the App Store via iTunes connect. These keywords will provide the App Store with (hopefully) better search results that could make finding the right app for you out of the 65,000+ applications available easier.

The update from apple says
    It is important to enter keywords for all applications as soon as possible so your application can continue to be successfully located on the App Store . . . Keywords can be updated with the submission of a new binary.
    While this probably wont solve all of Apple's App Store issues, namely the burried apps and the thousands and thousands of $0.99 crap apps, it is a step in the right direction.

via appleinsider

Hope it helps

Ahhhh I like!!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

We can call them "crapps"... has that been said before? Am I late?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I am having a hard time understanding how this will help anything? I mean I guess it will help searches and stuff, but for things like top 25 I don;t see it making a difference. Unless... is Apple changing the format of the appstore to coincide with this? I can see that making a difference.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I am having a hard time understanding how this will help anything? I mean I guess it will help searches and stuff, but for things like top 25 I don;t see it making a difference. Unless... is Apple changing the format of the appstore to coincide with this? I can see that making a difference.
    Basically, there's no way to find apps that are buried. For instance, if I go into the AppStore and search for "Casual", it only gives me hits from games that have "Casual" either in their title or in their description. Now developers can add "casual" as a keyword instead of including it in the title, or explicitely stating it in the game's description.

This is simply a method to try and mix things up a bit. As of now the AppStore is a stagnant swamp instead of a flowing river. It's not the pinnacle of solutions, but it's a start.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ +1

They need a better system

Riiiight, because keyword systems are never abused...

Take this craigslist listing as an example of what to expect once Apple allows keywords.
    2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Will probably just be more of a mess. You search for "shooter" and get lemonade tycoon.

Quote Originally Posted by juda1 View Post
    me too, *whistles*
    Yea it's great =]]]]]

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you its about time. Ive been looking for P2P games and most are not tagged as such...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
    Riiiight, because keyword systems are never abused...

Take this craigslist listing as an example of what to expect once Apple allows keywords.
    2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Will probably just be more of a mess. You search for "shooter" and get lemonade tycoon.
    Haha,

This is Apple we're dealing with here -- do you think they'll actually let developers put whatever they want as keywords? This is like the Lord of the Manor allowing the serfs an extra slice of (heavily regulated) bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Haha,

This is Apple we're dealing with here -- do you think they'll actually let developers put whatever they want as keywords? This is like the Lord of the Manor allowing the serfs an extra slice of (heavily regulated) bread.
    I doubt Apple is going to spend the time to look at every app and its keywords when there are 65,000 apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
    I doubt Apple is going to spend the time to look at every app and its keywords when there are 65,000 apps.
    Maybe you're right -- perhaps I'm just a little cynical. But I just can't shake the feeling that Apple would allow developers to put whatever they want in the keyword field -- it would go completely against Apple's 'way'. They have established themselves as heavy-handed regulators of quality goods and services. Why change things now?

It took them a whole year to decide to allow keywords. Keywords! You can't tell me they haven't put a lot of thought into this decision. Without some sort of oversight on the part of Apple, this whole move will ultimately be for naught.

Besides, it only takes a moment for someone to glance at a bunch of keywords and tell if they're appropriate to the application.

I don't mean to argue or anything, I'm just bored with too much coffee in me!

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

hopefully it'll help. i know sometimes i try to find an app and get 3000 apps to cycle through.
    "Time circuits on...flux capacitor...(gulp)...fluxing"
    Please read again I only give one warning - thanks!