+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Store - Nearly $1/4 Million in Income

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I have no problem throwing a couple of bucks to make the iphone more functional, usable, and enjoyable. When my 3Gs wasn't jailbroken I thought to myself why the hell
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have no problem throwing a couple of bucks to make the iphone more functional, usable, and enjoyable.
    When my 3Gs wasn't jailbroken I thought to myself why the hell did I buy this, so I went back to the 3G.

As far as i am concerned, I would much rather pay the jailbreaking developers a couple of bucks for their work instead of giving apple a penny. As far as paying for what has been free in the past, tuff sheet you freaking cheapskates. These guys in the jailbreaking world are about attention to detail, helpful using their programs and troubleshooting issues, and take their time to write this stuff and support us.

Why do some feel they are entitled to these developers time and work for free?

Thanks

It's unfortunate that many of you miss the point, $1 or 2 is acceptable for a jailbroken app but the ever constant looming of the jailbreak going away and you not being able to use security updated or get the latest hardware makes me hesitant to pay for anything over 5 bucks, and seriously believe saurik and the gang should tell developers that but then again it's your perogative if you want to buy an application that's way expensive and be pigeon holed with either the OS or hardware that's up to you. I'm done buying expensive one offs unless it's the app store especially given how the last jailbreak went with Geo having to release after dev said they couldn't yet. The exploits have dwindled also just my humble opinion.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    .....yahoo...c app store!!!..
    ..we can work on our own..(^___^)!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

like somebody said earlier..definitely turning into the app store.I understand we cant discuss warez but its kinda contradicting when we can talk about other types of hacks.But all i'm gonna say is certain repositories are your friend

Thanks

Warez are illegal. Nothing discussed here is.
    If you use 'certain repositories' you are a thief.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Now that there is some income from, perhaps Jay Freeman (saurik) could make Cydia actually usable. I, for one, always dread launching it because I know I have to wait well over 1 minute until it does its loading data and reloading data crap.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

on my 3GS, Cydia has been loading quite quickly

Thanks

To eliminate any subjectivity in perception, I just timed Cydia. I also have a 3GS and it took 56 seconds from launch to when in finished "Reloading Data". If other package installers can do it, Cydia can do it.

Thanks

Wow. Thats crazy. I just timed mine at 18 secs. Do you have a lot of repos installed ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Wow. Thats crazy. I just timed mine at 18 secs. Do you have a lot of repos installed ?
    My 3G S is loading Cydia in about 18-20 seconds as well.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Thanks

Sounds like he might have a repo that is taking too long to refresh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Sounds like he might have a repo that is taking too long to refresh
    Yeah deffinatley. I have a couple extra repo's installed but it hasn't affected Cydia's loading time to my knowledge. He either has a sh@t load of repo's installed of one bad one.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Thanks

^ lol. My thoughts exactly. the 3GS loads cydia so fast

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,222 Posts

Same here - 3GS, Cydia in 19 seconds.

Thanks

So I removed all repos and that knocked it down to less than 11 seconds. But then what's the point without repos? Anyway, without getting into much detail, the way Cydia loads and reloads all the stuff every time you launch it or do an install / remove etc. is just moronic. I'm far from being another ingrate bashing all the work saurik has put into Cydia (and everything else) but now that there's some money involved, it's time for an overhaul.

Btw, the App Store launches and loads all the new stuff in 6 seconds.

Thanks

If you don't like Cydia, don't use it.
    Not sure that Saurik is actually making any mony out of the cydia store, I believe his charges just cover taxes.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyest View Post
    I also have the same concerns... I have many free app store apps, but I don't buy any apps from the app store, except for one (eWallet), simply because I have no interest in further supporting Apple's evil empire of greed and arrogance. I am also proud to say that I have not purchased ONE SINGLE SONG from iTunes in my entire life, and never will!!

I have however paid for several apps from the "JB community" Dev's like iBlacklist, iRealQuick, Elert, etc... with great pleasure and absolutely NO regrets. (i'll even buy iProtect if it ever drops to a reasonable price!)

And if Apple ever DOES come up with a way to make the iPhone jailbreak-proof, i'll cut my losses and drop AT&T and my iPhone like a hot potato!! Palm Pre and Sprint's $99.99 "Everything" plan, here I come!

Long live the Cydia store and the apps that THE PEOPLE actually want!! And may ALL you awesome JB Dev's make millions!!
    Cydia apps are useful too many Apple apps for the iphone re not well done ...not all but many..who needs "fart" apps for heavens sake...let apple put out more utilitarian applications and different themes for people to choose from

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I only have a few things to say.....

Viva la Cydia!
    Viva la Saurik!
    Viva la Cydia Store!

With all the high quality apps in the Cydia Store, all that is needed in the Cydia Store is a good high quality doc editor and you have all the needed programs for any buisness man to do his job with... (instead of those sandboxed versions over at the app store :P ) (you know.... safari downloader, mail attachment downloader, doc editor would finish out the trifecta. )

Man... I'm SO lovin this.
    Last edited by bedwa; 08-23-2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: more info
    Previously had a iPhone 2G 8GB jailbroken with 3.0. Now as of 6/19 a proud owner of a 3GS and eagerly awaiting the jailbreaking of such!
    Lovin my jailbroken 3GS! Shove it Apple, my iPhone can now do twice what it could!

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123