+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [ APPLE ] Jailbreaking is for Drug Dealers, Mightily Slays Networks

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple has got to understand that the iPhone is more than just a mobile phone... It seems pretty obvious but their actions paint a different picture. What is so great
    iPhone? More like MyPhone alpawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple has got to understand that the iPhone is more than just a mobile phone... It seems pretty obvious but their actions paint a different picture. What is so great about the iPhone (in my opinion) is that is a device that lets (thaks in a big part to jailbreak) use apps for different purposes. Let them understand one and for all that exploiting the capabilities of devices is what made the computer what it is today (Steve Jobs should know that).
    They make a lot of dough selling the devices, selling apps through the App Store and from their unholy deals with AT&T and other carriers so there should be room for us freedom lovers...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If not for the jailbreak, I would have never switch to AT&T and buy the iphone. Jailbreaking makes iphone more usable and much more FUN!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One day, I feel like going up to Steve Jobs, and rubbing my iPod in his face, and he cant do anything about it! haha

Thanks
    Was just reading this:
    iPhone Jailbreaking Could Crash Cellphone Towers, Apple Claims | Threat Level | Wired.com

Hope they were being sarcastic about this bit :
    "Threat Level had no idea the iPhone was so dangerous. Were gratified that Apple locked down this potential weapon of mass disruption before hackers could unleash cybarmageddon. This also explains why Apple rejected the official Google Voice App for the iPhone this week. We thought it was because Google Voice posed a threat to AT&Ts exclusivity deal with Apple. Now we know it threatened national security."

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Everyone loves to pick on big bad Apple, without whom the iPhone would not exist.
    Are you saying we shouldnt jailbreak? Wow
    iLive an iLife

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If their gripes are truly JUST about profit, it seems to me the wise thing to do would be to allow for things like apps and such on the Appstore. There are few things on Cydia that actually involve copyright infringement. Wish I could understand why they have to be so stubborn about what they will/won't allow.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

HA~! I could do all that with my skype phone and my laptop, they might as well outlaw pc's

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I will add though, so many people are saying they wouldnt own an iPhone if it wasn't for jailbreak. You need to think like the company does... Appstore Sales are the profit now, not the iphone hardware sales. Apple is trying to secure the app market so that they get a cut for every app that sells. The majority of people who own the iPhone still just keep it stock. That means if all of us jailbreakers stopped using the phone, but they were able to secure the apps market, they still win. Well, sort of. The question is, if you shut down the jailbreaking, will people then resort to buying MORE from the appstore? Currently cydiastore apps are those that we cannot find in the appstore anyway...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

"In further claims, they say jailbreaking could lead to cell towers or networks being taken down Hacks to the baseband processor (BBP) would mean a local or international hacker could potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that could crash the tower software, rendering the tower entirely inoperable to process calls or transmit data... taking control of the BBP software would be much the equivalent of getting inside the firewall of a corporate computer to potentially catastrophic result."

"That gives me an idea..nah."

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I find the timing of this really odd, Apple just said that the Google Voice Applications are not allowed, so GV Mobile was put on Cydia and shortly after that, this came out from Apple and yes, Apple is grasping at straws here, this is definitely not the right path to be taking at all.

Doing this kind of stuff encourages states to start looking at Cell Phone User's Bill of Rights again (which should be looked at anyway) that will mean that any phone has to be able to be used with any carrier, due to various companies using different technologies, this could get quite costly for them.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thu6 View Post
    lol this is funny. everyone knows drug dealers use pay phones.
    been that long since you scored! lol 21st century man no one uses pay phones even 3rd graders have cell.

Thanks

since apple doesn't have a strong lobby at washington, they revert to FUD tactics... too late, they should have done this while bush and cheney was in power. they would buy into the FUD answer. lol

Thanks

Very well written article PF.

Thanks

Drug deal? What a joke! I would think they'll more likely use another phone instead of an iphone even to make anonymous calls to deal. There are so many drug deals out there even without the anonymous calling features. People are able to meet in person, by email, chatting online, and using prepaid phones you buy from wal-mart. Apple is getting too greedy and insecure. If they want to be the best, they should work nicely in this freedom country. I would think if they made jailbreaking illegal, nobody would want to buy the iphone to be with ATT. If they just kept quiet and let people jailbreak, i believe they'll increase their sales in the iphones and their revenue will skyrocket. They should ditch ATT and just sell to most carriers in the US such as t-mobile like they do in europe. I wonder how their business minds are. Don't they realize that wanting to be in total control of their customers products and a monopoly causes customers to feel negative against them in most cases? The customer pays big bucks for an iphone, sometimes $500+ brand new from the applestore without buying it from ATT, when it was actually assembled in china for a damn fraction of the cost.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robbpell View Post
    been that long since you scored! lol 21st century man no one uses pay phones even 3rd graders have cell.

Whoooosh! Careful! His statement flew right over your head!
    I don't think you'd be a very good criminal or spy, sorry
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

iPhone? More like MyPhone djdraco's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems to me jailbreaking is only hurting AT&T by allowing an unlock to let iPhone users go with another gsm provider. Apple still gets the sale of the phone.

Banned
    Thanks

Question Fud!
    Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    A few months back, Apple made a plea to the Copyright Office to make jailbreaking illegal. The EFF called their reasoning "absurd" and "FUD." It's still sitting before them to make a decision.
    I like that word FUD. What is the meaning? I think it means "F**k yoU D**kheads" HAHAHA
    I always say that about apple. They are morons and this just proves it.

As I have no choice but to jailbreak my 2G iphone here in Aus I highly doubt it that jailbreaking will ever become illegal. I will sue them if it ever did. I brought a phone and it should work with any sim anywhere.
    Also, as its MY IPHONE I can do what I like with it. if I want to jailbreak it then Apple cant stop me. if I want to do anything with it then I can as its MINE!
    If I want to get my apps and themes etc from Cydia then I can. If I never want to use the App Store then I dont have to. It's my choice where I get the software from. If I want to use cracked apps then I will. They cant stop me from using MY phone the way I want to.

FUD!

Quote Originally Posted by ALN V. View Post
    "In further claims, they say jailbreaking could lead to cell towers or networks being taken down Hacks to the baseband processor (BBP) would mean “a local or international hacker could potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that could crash the tower software, rendering the tower entirely inoperable to process calls or transmit data... taking control of the BBP software would be much the equivalent of getting inside the firewall of a corporate computer — to potentially catastrophic result."

"That gives me an idea..nah."
    Lets try it. Apple told us it can be done so lets all get too it and make it happen.

When a few cell towers around the world get taken down by DOS attacks we then can blame it on Apple as they said it can happen
    and told us how.
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 07-29-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NakedFaerie For This Useful Post:

w0by (07-30-2009)

What's Jailbreak? spider_pig448's Avatar
    Thanks
    lol Apple's getting desprite

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I wouldn't ever sign an expensive crappy contract with AT&T. They're all communists.

I totally agree. If you buy an iPhone....it's yours to keep. They can't tell you how to use it. You should be able to pop any SIM into the phone and just use it. This whole "locked" phone crap with all of the phones in the USA is ridiculous. At least when I call T-Mobile they just give me a free unlock code for my phones. Why doesn't the iPhone have an unlock code from AT&T? Hmmm....??
    Last edited by w0by; 07-30-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Doesn't apple get a cut from AT&T monthly too? Hence the higher data prices, etc.