+ Reply
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GV Mobile Now on Cydia [ ModMyi Repo ]

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by zanderpants hey everybody. many thanks to all the good people here for keeping me up to speed on what's happening with the gv/iphone situation. thanks especially to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default follow up
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    hey everybody. many thanks to all the good people here for keeping me up to speed on what's happening with the gv/iphone situation. thanks especially to sean kovacs for putting his great app in the repos.

i am running GV Mobile 1.22 on a 2.2.1 jailbroken iphone. i have no problem accessing gv voicemail from the web via safari - downloads and plays fine; however, using GV Mobile, everything works except voicemail playback. It loads up the voicemail history fine, and when I press a voicemail the app indicates it's downloading. then...nothing. i press speaker in the upper right corner...still nada. speaker and headphones are otherwise functional. anyone else with this problem?

thanks again as always.
    just to follow up on this...3.0 jailbreak/unlock processed fixed this voicemail problem...I can now hear my goog voicemails from within gv mobile

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question GV mobile
    my question is, where do i create GV mobile account???

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

iphone.3333 (08-01-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

I just recieved my free GV business cards, awesome. Time to show off my awesome number: (505)F.Lastna

F for my first name initial and Lastna for my full last name. Those aren't my actual initials/last name FYI, just an example

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sweet when can i get an invite?

Thanks

I just got another invite. I wish I could have multiple numbers on one email address.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Ahhhhhh!! Send it my way
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It took only 5 days to get an invite!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

mine crashes when i press sign in button..
    i am registered to google voice as i got invite from google last week

what it could be??

iphone 3g 3.0 legally unlocked

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have Google Voice and love the GV app. I also like to use my online Google account for sms and calls, and also added the GV link on my home screen... But like everyone else I'm kind of wondering if the sms are free or they count against your text messaging plan?

Thanks

Will they add notification? When i get a text i get no vibe or bubble? Am i missing something?
    Thanx

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Please help
    Got invited email from google last week. Downloaded GV mobile but got "An error occurred while trying to establish a connection with Google Voice." when trying to make a call, text, or voicemail. I am using it on a 3GS. I love the app but could get it to work. Very frustrated. Anyone with the same problem on their 3gs? Please help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"BEWARE OF GOOGLE VOICE SERVICE, TEXTS AND CALLS ARE NOT FREE OF CHARGE"

Well I got the answer to the question I asked from my last post of 08/07/2009. The Hard way!!! Be careful guys & gals, it so happens that all the calls and sms send or received from your Google Voice account is going to count against your minutes/text messaging plan!!! No matter if you send txts from within the Google Voice website or the new GV Mobile App. If you have unlimited text your fine. But unlike me, I only have the 200 text plan per month and thankfully the 900 any time minutes per month. Check this out, my monthly plan starts every 27th of the month, today is only the 12th. I started using GV on 08/08, had my texts intact since I hardly text and now 08/12/2009 all my 200 texts are gone, plus 471 of my anytime minutes are all gone thanks to Google text and voice mail notifications... Now I had to download iBlacklist and even MCleaner from Cydia (Thanks For Cydia always to the rescue) to block my Google Voice number and along with that (406) area code used by Gooogle for Voicemail notifications/Text. Those notifications kept on coming and coming, they are really a nuisance. I still like the service. I just hate the thought that they lied saying that all calls placed from there service was free! Ya Right! But that's what I get for trying to abuse the system... It backfired.lol
    Last edited by maggieaco; 08-12-2009 at 06:14 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    This is probably going to get asked over and over so PF feel free to throw a "Google Voice is NOT a VOIP service, you still need an actual phone plan" note somewhere.
    I just signed up to answer the message
    Actually no you don't need an actual phone plan, all you need is a data plan and i insist: you can call AT&T and cancel your voice plan and keep only a data plan.
    Then you go get fring from the Apple store and register a gizmo account on that fring, forward your GV number to your gizmo number and there you go, you dial using the app and you receive calls on gizmo through you GV number.
    If you don't want 3GS you can still make it work with WIFI only. without any plans at all.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 08-12-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't change the fact that Google Voice (by itself) is NOT A VOIP service.

Quote Originally Posted by maggieaco View Post
    "BEWARE OF GOOGLE VOICE SERVICE, TEXTS AND CALLS ARE NOT FREE OF CHARGE"
    Oh my goodness, let's try to go through all of this post.

it so happens that all the calls and sms send or received from your Google Voice account is going to count against your minutes/text messaging plan!!!
    I'm going to let Google answer this part because you seemed to miss the point of the service.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Q9MJdT5Ds[/ame]

THE WHOLE POINT OF GOOGLE VOICE IS TO USE YOUR ACTUAL HOME/OFFICE/CELL PHONE, ALL UNDER ONE NUMBER (provided by Google!). Just where exactly did you get the bright idea that Google Voice gave you free talk/text through your regular phone?

No matter if you send txts from within the Google Voice website or the new GV Mobile App.
    This is simply not true. If for example, your cellphone is registered under GV, and you send a text message to someone through the web page, that text message was free to you. If/when that someone replies to you, the text is forwarded to your cell phone. THIS USES UP YOUR TEXT MESSAGE. Again, the whole point of Google Voice is to have multiple number/lines under the google voice. GOOGLE VOICE ISN'T MEANT TO REPLACE YOUR CURRENT PHONE SERVICE(S)!!! I'm going to assume given that you don't know how Google Voice works in the most basic level you didn't bother to go to the settings page and find this little wonderful option:

You guessed it! You can DISABLE TEXT FORWARDING! That way you can keep all text messages sent/received on Google Voice in Google Voice and not use any of your actual plan texts.

to block my Google Voice number and along with that (406) area code used by Gooogle for Voicemail notifications/Text
    Fun side-point: Those 406 area code numbers are all from Google and are unique to your account based on who the text/call/voicemail is coming from. If you save this number and call it back, it'll automatically start the GV service and call whoever number that 406 number is assigned to without you having to use an app/page to initiate the call. They're an incredibly handy shortcut and if you're using GV as it's MEANT to be used, I'd get all your friends to text you so you get all their 406 numbers.

I just hate the thought that they lied saying that all calls placed from there service was free!
    They didn't lie. You're a moron with the lack of patience and time to research the service you're using. Google has been abundantly clear on how Voice works and what they want to do with it. It seems redundant considering this is from Google but:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+google+works
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 08-12-2009 at 08:36 PM.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

^ LMAO. classic

Thanks

For anyone who is looking for push notifications for sms/voicemail for your google voice account, someone put together some python scripts to do it. You'll need prowl ($2.99 in the app store), and your own computer/server that's always on, but it's a great way to stick it to at&t and get rid of your text plan.

cocoaforge • View topic - Prowl notifications for Google Voice

I made some modifications to fix a bug and include support for voicemail notifications, but as I just finished it the original author hasn't included my changes, so if you want those, check the second page of the thread for my update.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Can anyone tell me what the advantages of having GV?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Crash every time I try to sign in can any one help me with this