+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Voice applications pulled from the App Store.

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Voice applications pulled from the App Store.
    In another excellent case of "what the frak", Apple has pulled both GV Mobile and VoiceCentral, two applications that add Google Voice support to the phone. Google Voice is one of Google's latest services that provides a sort of virtual switchboard in which you can subscribe all your phones. By calling your GV phone number, all your phones would ring and you can pick it up wherever you happen to be.

The two apps had similar functionality. You could easily start calls, send and read text messages, and check your voice mail messages. This apparently was to close to native iPhone functionality it seems, because that's the reason Apple gave these developers.

To make matters even more bizarre, Google's own GV application was rejected six weeks ago while GV Mobile was PERSONALLY APPROVED BY PHIL SCHILLER, Apple’s senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing. Now it got pulled today.

The App Store utter lack of transparency isn't giving much of an answer as to why these apps were pulled. On the phone side of things: these apps just started a call (which you had to answer) so you were still using your own minutes. This wasn't a VOIP service. On the messaging aspect of it, you could indeed send and receive messages, but then again you can do that with one of the dozens of free text messaging apps cluttering the store.

So why was it pulled? Possible native integration in future firmware updates? AT&T leaning on Apple again? Someone drinking a little too much in Cupertino? No one seems to know...

Sources:
    GV Mobile Google Voice iPhone App Getting Booted From App Store for Usual Ridiculous Reasons - app store - Gizmodo
    Apple Is Growing Rotten To The Core: Official Google Voice App Blocked From App Store

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Wow. I just bought GV Mobile yesterday. Glad I got it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Man!! I waited too long and now I'm SOL! Thats what I get I guess
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

mr.rogers (07-27-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone r1994augusto's Avatar
    Thanks

lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

This almost ticks me off enough to leave AT&T. I just got Google Voice #'s for myself and a few friends. One of them has a Blackberry on US Cellular and gets free incoming calls and texts so he can use the Google Voice app and not use any minutes or have any text charges. I was happy with still having to use minutes and pay for the inbound texts until they pulled this crap.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

wow how ironic is this;

i was just invited to google voice TODAY by Google,
    and thankfully I already had the GV application downloaded about one week ago.

Just like stealth, we both barely made it, Stealth made it by just a hair lmao. Well im glad I was invited and already downloaded the app or I would've been SOL too.

Thats really ridiculous for Apple to do. I couldn't see GV being integrated in future firmware upgrades because its too much like the iPhone's features itself. It had to have been something else. If only they accepted Google's version of the app, i think it would have been 10x better than "GV mobile". Thats just too bad though. Its not like Google can really put anything on Cydia either, because they are so tightly knit with Apple. lol that would be kind of hilarious though.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Thanks

On a semi-related note: If you have a Google Voice account, you can use it with Gizmo5 for free nationwide calling through VOIP.

Use Gizmo5 for free calls with Google Voice | jRin.net

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

wildblueyonder (07-27-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ Sweet. I am glad that I got my invite.

Green Apple
    Thanks

any way we can upload it to cydia or make an API or something like that so we can use the google voice.
    or maybe other app with similar capability's (im waiting for google invitation)

thxs for your time
    jaas

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Glad I picked it up about a week ago. Why must Apple do these things? Seems like they just want to make our lives difficult.

Thanks

PRO GOOGLE VOICE TIP INCOMING, BRACE YOURSELF FOR AWESOMENESS:

1. This one is obvious, but you can access GV from your phone through Safari and get the mobile version. Let's you read text messages and transcribed voice mails, send text messages, and start calls. It's a bit clunky and not-really-optimized-for-the-iPhone, but it gets the job done.

2. Google Voice has a surprising amount of customization. Be sure to check the advance options under each registered phones for more things. For example, you can set a particular phone (office for example) to only receive Google Voice calls only during the week from 9-5. Inversely, you can set your home phone to only get GV calls during the weekend. You can also disable receiving SMS on a phone if you want to handle GV text messages only through an app/webpage and not take a hit on your actual phone plan's messaging. However, before you go this route, try the next tip.

3. This one is really cool. Even with a fancy app, you still need to answer the call GV makes to you, and then the other line starts ringing, but there's an awesome shortcut for this. Get a friend to text you from his phone (to your GV number, duh). GV will diligently forward that message to your actual phone. This message will arrive from a 406 area code number. That number is unique to the person that sent you the text message!

So by saving and calling back that particular number from a phone you have registered under GV, you're basically telling Google "Hey, this is me. Patch me to X person, please" and skip the entire need of having to start the call through an application. Your friend will receive a call from your GV number without you actually using GV.

It is a bit of a hassle to get all your friends to text your GV the first one, then saving all the 406 numbers, but once you have it saved it's awesome time-saver.

If you can't tell I've been using this service for years now ever since it was GrandCentral :P

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

jcrod73 (07-27-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    PRO GOOGLE VOICE TIP INCOMING, BRACE YOURSELF FOR AWESOMENESS:
    Thanks HNB...i'll try that 406 thing...

Thanks

i guess all that missed the boat end up simply grabbing the cracked version.

this is one of those times i feel no guilt using a cracked app...

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

I've not received my invite yet. Just google wave
    Last edited by timbo; 07-27-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks
    Another reason to cancel my crap with att. Screw you Apple if you do this kinda sh!t and accept att's bull.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thu6 View Post
    i guess all that missed the boat end up simply grabbing the cracked version.

this is one of those times i feel no guilt using a cracked app...
    that is still not the best thing to do, BUT if you do...you should really consider donating the amount of the app to the dev.

Thanks

we'll see once i actually get my invite and get a chance to actually make use of the app...
    Last edited by thu6; 07-27-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    On a semi-related note: If you have a Google Voice account, you can use it with Gizmo5 for free nationwide calling through VOIP.

Use Gizmo5 for free calls with Google Voice | jRin.net
    I actually did this yesterday after seeing it on slickdeals
    [ame=http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1471803]Google Voice + Gizmo5 + ATA = Free Voip - SlickDeals.net Forums[/ame]

I got siphone working perfectly. Also got my bluetooth headset connected to my PC and am using gizmo5 program for free outbound calls with very very nice quality

iPhone? More like MyPhone elr0y7's Avatar
    Thanks

Good thing I also downloaded GV Mobile the other day right after I got my Google Voice invite, hope it still works...
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sounds like many of us missed the boat on this awesome app.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast