+ Reply
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: YourTube - Download YouTube Videos FROM YouTube.app

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I'll buy it!
    Cash has given me a 1337er title Kaatje's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll buy it!

Machine: Mac Pro Early 2009: CPU(s): 2 x Intel Xeon X5570 2.93GHz RAM: 32.00GB Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1024 MB Display: Dual Apple 24" LED Cinema OS: Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Disk: 7TB - iPhone 32GB 3G S⃣

Thanks

you already made the decision to paige. weeks ago. You know about thes things before us
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Mxtube is still one of my fav apps..and yeah agree with everyone that a free app doin the same thing is way better than a paid app!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoCub View Post
    MxTube works flawlessly on 3.0. WHY would anyone pay for this?
    Makes no sense to me.
    No it doesn't. The author still hasn't fixed the "can't queue up more than two DLs at a time or it will freeze after the first two" problem (AKA, "flaw"). It's unbelievably annoying because it sometimes takes long enough just to get the video. Also, I like using it when my signal is too poor to stream so properly handling "resume" is a must. As it stands, it usually fails. It's free and had nothing comparable, so I haven't complained in the past but now someone has to mention it... especially when it's being called "flawless."

That said, I always said that MxTube should always look at and list your Favorites or recently played videos from in the YouTube app so that you could easily download those. Now that 3.0 syncs with your account's favorites, it'd be a much easier way to get ones that you discovered on a random PC. Also, 3.0 supports YT playlists, so automatically downloading files added to your "Download" playlists would be pretty cool.
    Last edited by CZroe; 07-26-2009 at 02:46 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    No it doesn't. The author still hasn't fixed the "can't queue up more than two DLs at a time or it will freeze after the first two" problem (AKA, "flaw"). It's unbelievably annoying because it sometimes takes long enough just to get the video. Also, I like using it when my signal is too poor to stream so properly handling "resume" is a must. As it stands, it usually fails. It's free and had nothing comparable, so I haven't complained in the past but now someone has to mention it... especially when it's being called "flawless."
    I've never had it freeze. I frequently have more than 5 downloads going at once. The post also doesn't mention a "resume" function on YourTube either.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Post Why Yourtube when MxTube is free?
    To those who are wondering why to get Yourtube when MxTube is already free, I'd like to clarify some things.

MxTube, as many of you remember, started back in iPhone OS 1.x. It was originally a web-based tool that was hindered by a fancy authentication scheme that was put onto Apple's specific API for retrieving high-quality mp4 videos from youtube. Mxweas (the main author of MxTube) was sad because of this, and asked in a public IRC channel on the osx86.hu network whether someone could help him. As an experienced reverser who enjoyed a challenge, I spent a few hours on the problem and wrote a ruby script that performed the authentication protocol to the Youtube API's satisfaction and retrieved the special authorization key to download videos. I emailed mxweas the same night in Februrary 2008 telling him I had figured out the protocol and gave him the ruby script. He sat on it for a few days and wasn't able to figure out my code, and asked for me to re-implement it in Objective C. I am not a fan (understatement of the year) of the language but eventually he got so persistent, saying that MxTube would be scrapped if I didn't do that, that I wrote him an implementation of the protocol (about 10 times as long, of course) in Objective C. He thanked me and said he'd put me in his credits.

So MxTube was released and all was well. He then started looking for heavy-duty hosting services for his homepage, so I asked him how many visits he was getting, and it was millions. In fact, he was making several thousand dollars a months on ads alone. This was cool and I was happy that a 16-year-old could make that much money online, but it also seemed reasonable that since I had contributed a core component of his program, without which the program could not work, I could get a slice of that money. Especially since I'm a poor graduate student and could do with some extra money. Anyway, he agreed, but for various reasons, was unable to send me any money. Despite the money issues, mxweas and I remain on good terms and he even came to visit me in person recently!

tl;dr: we never had a formal contract or anything, so I don't have any legal recourse or even desire to force mxweas to give me money. And I'm definitely not discounting the work he did himself on MxTube. But considering that I directly enabled him to earn more than 20 grand, and that he's not maintaining his program anymore, I figured I'd try to compete with a modern, more integrated solution.

On that note, quite aside from the reasons above and my position in the community, I think you'll like Yourtube because it's so elegantly integrated with Youtube.app. You automatically get all the features it provides, including access to your online Youtube account, and the downloading functionality feels like it's been there all along. Another advantage is that the modification is lightweight to maintain, which means that if Apple updates anything that breaks Yourtube, we'll be able to fix it promptly.

Thanks for your time and support,
    pumpkin
    Last edited by pumpkin; 07-26-2009 at 03:10 PM.

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pumpkin For This Useful Post:

b3nny (07-26-2009), causefx (07-28-2009), Crana (07-27-2009), deezine2000 (07-27-2009), eleazar123 (07-26-2009), GasAddict (07-28-2009), Gustavo Saliola (07-26-2009), kainisable (07-27-2009), Kyle Matthews (07-26-2009), manteka (07-29-2009), MetallicaFan1991 (07-27-2009), nayanc (07-27-2009), virgozero (07-26-2009)

Thanks

^^^ there it is right from the horse's mouth... daniel peebles

not sure i will buy this even though i would like to support you. i dont really watch youtube videos at all let alone need to download them. but it looks great
    Last edited by JStraitiff; 07-26-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ lol. I saw what you did there

@pumpkin

Looks awesome man. I like that its integrated into the stock app. Can't wait to use it.

Thanks

Awesome totally getting this next week when I get my new 3GS!! Yeah I actually never used MxTube never felt the need really cause didnt want to many programs bogging down my ram. But since this integrates with the YouTube App no worries! Especially on a 3GS :3 Anyways I would've done the same thing. Made my own program, and charged for it, since the code you made was the life blood that made MxTube, and as you said he isnt updating MxTube anymore. Anyways hopefully this will be $2 Will buy it the second after my 3GS is jailbroken ^^

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skandocious View Post
    For all the MxTube supporters... Have you ever happened to notice that MxTube runs a daemon process in the background ALL THE TIME? Yeah maybe not a big deal on my 3GS, but when I had my 3G it was eating ram and processor even when I wasn't using it. Big no-no in my book. Mobile Substrate is a much better way to go, if coded properly.

I'll probably buy this new one, looks slick.
    can someone please confirm if this is true? i don't use mxtube very often and will gladly kill it if its costing me processor/ram/battery life

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b3nny View Post
    can someone please confirm if this is true? i don't use mxtube very often and will gladly kill it if its costing me processor/ram/battery life
    'Tis True

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
    To those who are wondering why to get Yourtube when MxTube is already free, I'd like to clarify some things.

MxTube, as many of you remember, started back in iPhone OS 1.x. It was originally a web-based tool that was hindered by a fancy authentication scheme that was put onto Apple's specific API for retrieving high-quality mp4 videos from youtube. Mxweas (the main author of MxTube) was sad because of this, and asked in a public IRC channel on the osx86.hu network whether someone could help him. As an experienced reverser who enjoyed a challenge, I spent a few hours on the problem and wrote a ruby script that performed the authentication protocol to the Youtube API's satisfaction and retrieved the special authorization key to download videos. I emailed mxweas the same night in Februrary 2008 telling him I had figured out the protocol and gave him the ruby script. He sat on it for a few days and wasn't able to figure out my code, and asked for me to re-implement it in Objective C. I am not a fan (understatement of the year) of the language but eventually he got so persistent, saying that MxTube would be scrapped if I didn't do that, that I wrote him an implementation of the protocol (about 10 times as long, of course) in Objective C. He thanked me and said he'd put me in his credits.

So MxTube was released and all was well. He then started looking for heavy-duty hosting services for his homepage, so I asked him how many visits he was getting, and it was millions. In fact, he was making several thousand dollars a months on ads alone. This was cool and I was happy that a 16-year-old could make that much money online, but it also seemed reasonable that since I had contributed a core component of his program, without which the program could not work, I could get a slice of that money. Especially since I'm a poor graduate student and could do with some extra money. Anyway, he agreed, but for various reasons, was unable to send me any money. Despite the money issues, mxweas and I remain on good terms and he even came to visit me in person recently!

tl;dr: we never had a formal contract or anything, so I don't have any legal recourse or even desire to force mxweas to give me money. And I'm definitely not discounting the work he did himself on MxTube. But considering that I directly enabled him to earn more than 20 grand, and that he's not maintaining his program anymore, I figured I'd try to compete with a modern, more integrated solution.

On that note, quite aside from the reasons above and my position in the community, I think you'll like Yourtube because it's so elegantly integrated with Youtube.app. You automatically get all the features it provides, including access to your online Youtube account, and the downloading functionality feels like it's been there all along. Another advantage is that the modification is lightweight to maintain, which means that if Apple updates anything that breaks Yourtube, we'll be able to fix it promptly.

Thanks for your time and support,
    pumpkin
    Hey pumpkin thank you very much for making an app like this I seriously have been looking for this exact app for awhile and now here it is. Though like you said mxtube was making a ton of money off his website for offering a free app now don't you think if you took the same approach you would make a lot of money as well and then even more so dominate this area and pretty much eliminate mxtube all together.

Thanks

Pumpkin, u would be my first purchase on cydia store , so hurry b4 irealquicksms takes ur spot lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have never payed for any app from cydia, so I will use MxTube as I did before.
    (But if it can add a video to MobileMusicPlayer, then it would be awesome)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yeah, i'm gonna stick with mxtube for now, i don't download videos off youtube much, i havent used it much at all lately. weird.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iChopPryde View Post
    Hey pumpkin thank you very much for making an app like this I seriously have been looking for this exact app for awhile and now here it is. Though like you said mxtube was making a ton of money off his website for offering a free app now don't you think if you took the same approach you would make a lot of money as well and then even more so dominate this area and pretty much eliminate mxtube all together.
    thats a good question,
    but if you think about it he cant.

MxTube was it's own app. The creator was able to implement advertisements into it however he wished.

YouTube does not have ad's, therefor there would be no way to make money for him through advertisements unless every user visited his official website / clicked ads.

@pumpkin,
    good luck with this, and I like how you changed it up and tried making it cooler and easier (which it obviously is) but if there already is an app that offers almost the same thing for free, maybe there is a different way to obtain money for your app?

For example; every user would have to obtain a free unique key by going onto your website in which they would navigate to some kind of unique key generator and the user would need to enter it to install your "expansion pack" ? (therefor this allows you to have advertisements on your websites, etc.. whatever you want). I am sure much more people would be down to do that and erase their mxtubes completely.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My main point....... I've been jailbreaking since day 1 to "stick it to the man"

I never thought I'd see the day were I'd have to buy cydia apps
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoCub View Post
    MxTube works flawlessly on 3.0. WHY would anyone pay for this?
    Makes no sense to me.
    A lot of YouTube videos doesn't appear in MXTube that's the reason why. Having this new app gives you the entire YouTube videos with a little more extras like delete if you decide to discontinue downloading. I think this is well worth the $2. Common people don't be so "el cheapo"!

What's Jailbreak? TheArthurShock's Avatar
    Thanks

MxTube does the job for me. I'm not bothered about this. If there was more of a major difference then maybe i might consider it, but for now, I'm sticking with MxTube
    Stock Just Doesn't Cut It

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Want to get it ASAP, don't mind paying for an app that works, MXTube is pretty poor on 3.0

Hurry up and release it