+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Dev Applicants - NO MEANS NO

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
u guys are Over reacting period. Get over it and breath alittle. Just wait till June u have to anyways god........
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

u guys are Over reacting period. Get over it and breath alittle. Just wait till June u have to anyways god........

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyu View Post
    Not trying to bad mouth you guys but Apple is going to do what they want. They don't care about jailbreaking. I think thats obvious as they designed their SDK/Appstore EXACTLY in the image of the Installer/Unofficial SDK. BTW: remember when they designed a revolutionary phone capable of running applications??? I urge you all to think about this fact alone. You will all buy and download apps through AppStore and Installer and the world will grow in harmony... grow up Apple-Haterz... They didn't make you buy one.

oh yeah and the features they blocked from the SDK will be implemented.. BY THEM>>> DUH
    Apple haters? . . . quite to the contrary, we don't hate Apple (just some of their tactics) I mean go ahead, buy some of the apps developed (I myself might give into some games) but other than that, Installer will remain my #1 source of useful applications . . . the developers on sites like modmyi seem to understand our wants a whole lot better than Apple does

sure, they gave us the phone, but still left loads of usable features missing (like MMS, a video recorder, IM chat, etc.) . . . and who has gladly filled those spots? developers!

I do not hate Apple, I just give the developers a whole lot more praise than Apple deserves in the apps department

so going back to your statement about "the features they blocked from the SDK will be implemented.. BY THEM" I respond in saying, yeah . . . almost a year later

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think our devs should make thier own SDK and see which SDK will be better... that way we can laugh at apple, and watch them shut thier SDK down!

Thanks

Well as always, apple is just not used to make it easy on the users or costumers.
    they like to play with their own rules only.....
    But hey we play on our rules, right?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacJax50 View Post
    Apple is trying to get a name list together so they have a way to sue people due to copyright infringements and other legalities on the iPhone!~..Think about it! How come so many rejections and all of a sudden this came out of nowhere! its all to get a database of the people who are hacking the iphone and developing for installer and cydia!! My advice don't do it!!!
    really?!?! All they would have to do is serve Att and tmobile with a "request" for users with a sim connecting in a iPhone and the subscribers info that is using it.

If tmobile knows I'm using an iPhone before I call I am sure they save it somewhere

To the other users commenting on the gps... Thanks I didnt think about the wifigps as a plus. I do now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gameviper View Post
    thats retarted... lets put a sdk out but lets not allow hadly anybody to submit apps! hey yeah that'll be a great idea! idiots...
    It's done this way for a reason... They want to ensure that nobody writes apps that: send your contacts and emails to a remote server, install viruses or otherwise wreak havoc. In an interesting way, this will also ensure that the apps released in July are of a high quality since they are only giving out certificates in this round to qualified/professional developers. The only person I know who is not affiliated with an Apple software partner has one is Erica Sadun...

By the time certificates are giving out to the public, those who are really interested in producing content would have had apps built for the simulator, ready to run and all of the posers would have given up.

If you really want to write apps... now... then use the Toolchain that's been around since July/August of last year. Works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by brianiino View Post
    I think our devs should make thier own SDK and see which SDK will be better... that way we can laugh at apple, and watch them shut thier SDK down!
    They have... it's called the iPhone toolchain and it's been around since the middle of last year. Just search for iPhone toolchain on Google. How do you think people have been building apps for Installer all this time?

Quote Originally Posted by reppin4you View Post
    why the hell is apple being so GAY! Hey guys lets release an SDK and not let some good developers work on it.
    Define "good developer". Do you not think that certificates are already in the hands of apple's top partners? Apple is concerned that the content that is produced for the July launch (I doubt June) is of the highest quality. When I look at what is on Installer > 80% is useless crap. It would be a marketing embarrassment to allow apps like iBurbz, TicTacToe or a half working calculator to be released to iTunes.

Apple clearly has a marketing strategy in place for July and wants to ensure that released apps are at least of a better quality than those for Symbian, RIM or Mobile Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by jazir View Post
    lol guys if anyone wants the sdk just ****** torrent it. its all over teh interwebz, you just gotta look.
    lol at you... I challenge you then to compile an app with the SDK you downloaded (let's say just a "hello world") and install it on your iPhone. No? Doesn't work? Damn I think my iPhone needs 1.2 firmware installed... Damn... looks like I need a certificate. What? Apple isn't giving them out to just anybody? Oh well... Enjoy your SDK
    Last edited by imode; 03-15-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

From what I understand, this is a rejection letter only "during the beta period" of the iPhone Developer program. It is believed that the iPhone Developer Program will be open to all comers after June when the program is out of beta. I think people are missing this big distinction. Apple is, I believe, only wanting developers who are working on larger issues like Enterprise and Microsoft ActiveSync and such during this period and not just developers making any kind of app.

Thanks

I don't know what the hype is here. I work for a company & when we release our BETA, it generally goes to our Partners & Premium Customers during the BETA phase. Then the RTM release goes to the general public. Sorry guys, get real here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I signed up for the developer program and was able to become and iphone dev with ease. well first i was just a mac developer, never paid just signed on free to watch the forums in the mac developer, i was able to get the iphone SDK, i have the 2.1 dmg file. I was wondering is this what everyone wants the 2.1gb file or are you saying you can get the SDK file but cannot pubilsh anything?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My iPhone is on T-Mobile pay-as-you-go plan !

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJr1011 View Post
    I signed up for the developer program and was able to become and iphone dev with ease. well first i was just a mac developer, never paid just signed on free to watch the forums in the mac developer, i was able to get the iphone SDK, i have the 2.1 dmg file. I was wondering is this what everyone wants the 2.1gb file or are you saying you can get the SDK file but cannot pubilsh anything?
    Getting a forum login and paying the $99 to get an actual dev certificate are two diff things.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

iPhone? More like MyPhone cockyjeremy's Avatar
    Thanks

Who cares about the SDK?

Installer > SDK

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cockyjeremy View Post
    Who cares about the SDK?

Installer > SDK
    Installer has nothing to do with an SDK. It's a way of packaging and providing a distribution channel for applications. There still has to be an SDK somewhere in order to make these applications. The 'SDK' that people have been using is a gcc cross compiler and linker targeting the ARM processor. This is not that different from what Apple is providing. The difference is that there is no debugging facilities or simulator for the existing toolchain.

People, stop saying the Installer is better than the SDK!! It is the same thing as saying a ZIP file is better than Excel. It makes absolutely no sense!!! When iTunes distribution is available in June/July then feel free to comment about the differences between iTunes and Installer.
    Last edited by imode; 03-16-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks

All of my friends got rejected! This is RIDICULOUS!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
    All of my friends got rejected! This is RIDICULOUS!
    And I suppose all of your friends are professional developers who have a relationship with Apple? This is a BETA PROGRAM, they are not going to give these out to just anybody. If it makes you feel better, I'm a professional developer who has written applications for Mac OS and I have been rejected... big deal... just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by MacJax50 View Post
    Apple is trying to get a name list together so they have a way to sue people due to copyright infringements and other legalities on the iPhone!~..Think about it! How come so many rejections and all of a sudden this came out of nowhere! its all to get a database of the people who are hacking the iphone and developing for installer and cydia!! My advice don't do it!!!
    Are you for real??? I had to read this post twice then scratch my head.

You really think these rejections are Apple's way of catching people who have jailbroken/unlocked their iphone??? Wow... How would they be able to prove you even have an iPhone? Just because you signed up? They rejected people because this is a BETA program.
    Last edited by imode; 03-16-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    And I suppose all of your friends are professional developers who have a relationship with Apple? This is a BETA PROGRAM, they are not going to give these out to just anybody. If it makes you feel better, I'm a professional developer who has written applications for Mac OS and I have been rejected... big deal... just wait.

Are you for real??? I had to read this post twice then scratch my head.

You really think these rejections are Apple's way of catching people who have jailbroken/unlocked their iphone??? Wow... How would they be able to prove you even have an iPhone? Just because you signed up? They rejected people because this is a BETA program.
    I agree. It would be wise to close this thread & start a new one when the end of June comes around and we have the same deal.

Until then, everyone keep your pantz on.

Thanks

F*** Apple! They always trying to be a B.... about something! They can't get mad because people want more out of their iPhones. We paid $400 and $500 for our iPhones, AND we are going to do what the f... we like! It pi$$es me off at the fact they try and limit us to certain stuff! Like others if I a paid 400 and 500 for my phone, I expect to get the most of it! Apple needs to CHILL. Clearly they are upset that WE are coming up with better ideas than they are. All Apple says is WAIT WAIT WAIT.

Go installer!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
    F*** Apple! They always trying to be a B.... about something! They can't get mad because people want more out of their iPhones. ... Clearly they are upset that WE are coming up with better ideas than they are. All Apple says is WAIT WAIT WAIT.

Go installer!
    What better ideas? Why should Apple even care? To be honest there is nothing listed on 'Installer' that I use more than the built-in apps on the iPhone. Like I've been saying more than 80% of the stuff on Installer is crap anyway.

This is not a PC with 20+ years of maturity behind it... Or a Symbian phone that has been around for more than 5 years. It's a complicated bit of hardware that's been out for roughly 9 months!

Suppose you just bought an XBox 360 or a PS3... Why not also demand that Sony or Microsoft to open it up to general developers? After all, it's really just a PC you paid ~ $350 - 400 USD for right? Don't you have the right to have full access and an SDK for it as well??

So... btw who are 'WE'? You must be a developer right? If so why not use the toolchain and make your own killer apps?? Here, I've provided you a link: http://code.google.com/p/iphone-dev/wiki/Building

Or... why not just sell your iPhone and buy a Nokia or a Motorola? The Symbian platform is a joy to develop code under ahemm. Plus they have hundreds of apps that do absolutely nothing as well
    Last edited by imode; 03-18-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I agree with Dirtyu, not to hate on anyone but I don't want to hate on Apple at all because I think they may surprise everyone. And he's right, it's REALLY apparent that they don't give a damn about jailbreaking, hence why they haven't tried to stop it at all. At this point it isn't making them lose ANY money, people seriously are buying more iPhones just so they can mod the thing, c'mon guys be real. Steve is just eating us up the way we're in to these things so much. They have the power with any mandatory update to shut all of this down in a snap, and they can. They don't care to it's making more money for them! When they release the SDK apps and they are through with beta testing I'm sure they'll make a crack at us and piss a lot of people off. Til then lets have fun!

Thanks
    I agree with the fact that right now they are only working with established 3rd party software companies,

what I do disagree with is the way they went about doing it.

Stating that "anyone can sign up for the SDK package". they should of made it clear that atm they were only working with partners and in the future they would allow everyone to work on it.

If they were merely just trying to compile a list of possible developer's interest they should of created a survey of some sort instead of handing us the candy and then taking it away. All that did was piss off a lot of would-be developers and increase the incentive to use installer.

Knowing Apple there has to be some kind of logic behind this, the question is, is that logic actually right...
    -Ben