Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Your iPhone can Read Barcodes

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My iphone can't read it..are you lot guys using the jailbreak on your iphone?My one is also done and currently running on firmware 3.0...Any suggestions?I have done it step by step but no results.
    mod/edit links removed

What do you mean your phone can't read it? Do you mean the software doesn't actually read any barcodes or it reads them and gets them wrong?

The version from Cydia works fine on my 3G
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I've been using that app for a while now and it's a little slow for multiple uses.

I can tell you a funny story where it actually saved us a lot of time and effort.

We had a MUX that we needed the serial number off of and couldn't physically see the number from where it was mounted in the rack.

We tried a Blackberry camera and my iPhone's camera, but the pic kept coming out to blurry.

Using this app, it focuses much closer (almost like macro mode) on items than the std iPhone camera software.

It grabbed a clear and concise pic of the serial. We were able to get support w/out having to take that sucker out of the rack!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

^ Very cool!

That's not cool. That's awesome. Great alternative use for a great product.
    I think we'll see a lot more of this
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

to JR powers, I've spoken to many people and your app is super awesome however, I could see you selling even way more if you added the following:

The ability to go to a local supermarket scan your items and do one of two things, either compare the price in this supermarket/store against the price of others in the vicinity as well as the ability to, after scanning all your shopping items click a total button and no ahead of time how much your bill will be, maybe you might want to put some stuff back. These were mostly female iPhoners I spoke to. If theres such a word.

Quote Originally Posted by edwilk55 View Post
    I've been using that app for a while now and it's a little slow for multiple uses.

I can tell you a funny story where it actually saved us a lot of time and effort.

We had a MUX that we needed the serial number off of and couldn't physically see the number from where it was mounted in the rack.

We tried a Blackberry camera and my iPhone's camera, but the pic kept coming out to blurry.

Using this app, it focuses much closer (almost like macro mode) on items than the std iPhone camera software.

It grabbed a clear and concise pic of the serial. We were able to get support w/out having to take that sucker out of the rack!
    Thought I'd add the pics to go along with the story:

Regular iPhone Pic:

Red Laser Pic:

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    What would make this a killer app? Use the GPS or for other devices enter zip code, scan a bar code, display relevant items located at stores in your area (within a 15-20 mile radius). If there are no results in the area then display possible coupons for the item scanned at stores in your area.

It is hit or miss on my 3G and most of the results are either no results or from online retailers I've never heard of. I'm not buying my groceries from a bunch of different online sites.

Hopefully the database will improve over time.

Yeah, it wouldn't even be that hard to do -- just plug in the user's current zip code + item and run search at Shoplocal.com and return the results.

Edit: I guess that can't give you local prices on everything, just on stuff that's on sale (searches through their ads). Still, it'd be a nice feature to have. If they could find a way to get a database of local stores prices on various things that'd be even better. How cool would it be to be the grocery, to scan an item, and see that its 20% cheaper down the road at another store?
    Last edited by Faxmonkey; 07-29-2009 at 02:55 AM.

That might work in the USA but not a lot of use for the rest of us.

This is a great app with a lot of possibilities for the future. I'm sure the developer has been snowed under with suggestions!

Default its not free
    This app costs $1.99 in app store

It was free, but if they are charging a couple of bucks I think it's worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its worth it for sure

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I have been looking for such kind of application since last year. Does it really work on 2G? I am confused. Any other people have any idea? Let me know.
    mod/edit links removed

Its awesome how this app actually comes in handy!
    In Wally world the other day and looking at some storage containers, there were no prices on the larger ones. So I tried to find a employee but no one in sight. I just thought I could try this app and scan the code but most likely it will not find it. Well however it did! I was sweet lol The only crappy part was it was in US $$$ and I was looking for CAN $$$ At least it was a ruff estimate.

Thanks again for the helpful app!

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronblade View Post
    I have been looking for such kind of application since last year. Does it really work on 2G? I am confused. Any other people have any idea? Let me know.
    Yes it works with 2G iPhones, It saves me to go store by store to compare prices and ending at the end of my search in the first one that I was. Save me lots of time. Works perfect
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

I paid for the one in the AppStore, and it doesn't work at all. As others have said, it can't even consistently read the barcode, much less find anything in its database. This new one does work well.
    Last edited by jonat; 08-15-2009 at 08:11 AM.

The Cydia version is a later version and works well.
    One of the problems with the App store is how long it takes for developers to get updates approved. In this case we are lucky and the dev releases them first on Cydia

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

started well then updated now gone not gonna buy it from apple don't need it

jeez.. might prove helpful

Ok newb question... why can't I find it on cydia?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast