Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: geohot makes it sn0w now! New soft unlock for the iPhone 3GS!

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

it is amazing to me how some people seem to forget these are basically kids breaking these codes. they aren't getting wealthy off jailbreaking and activating. they do it for the challenge. there was a great piece in the WSJ a couple of weeks ago that profiled several of them...they range from 15 years old up. many of us have day jobs and couldn't wire and program a home theater system without help. to denigrate or criticize these kids is embarrassing. we should be glad there's anyone at all helping us enjoy our iphones. it's as though everyone else in the world is still analogue and we of the iphone jailbreaking community have hdtv and are concerned because we have TWO sources for hd? i thought we're supposed to be the sophisticated grown-ups?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bootleg For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (07-14-2009), PCeasar (07-14-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeahh so who wants to give em a 3gs

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

don't forget peoples, if you own a 2g iphone, your iphone is unlocked via gUnlock! and for those who don't know, thats geohotz/george's unlock from the 1.1.2/4.6BL days!

nice work georgehotz, i would trust his work for many reasons. when he released the gUnlock via command line only, i used it minutes after and was blown away! the kid knows his stuff
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Props to both seeing as tho it is both that have made the iPhone experience a great one for all of us iPhoners. Geo himself said
    About a year ago today, I found the at+stkprof exploit. Back then, I struggled for 3 days to write a payload. No luck, I just wasn't a good enough reverser. So I stashed the exploit away until December, when I gave it to dev for use in yellowsn0w.
    And now he has better educated himself and ...
    a year later, I wrote a payload and delivery system in a day. And it's an awesome payload.
    Also he doesn't do everything himself ...
    Props to Oranav for the at+xlog exploit!
    So as you can see he is the one that made our experience possible, and with the help of others it just gets that much better. Proprs to all the reversers, exploiters, devs, moderators, researchers, beta teamers, and regulars out there that provide meaningful feedback !

And with that said .... signing off your friendly neighborhood iPhoner

Oh Yea ... And I will be purple snowin as soon as i get home to check it out! signing off for real this time, lol
    Last edited by thuwun; 07-14-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    "thuwun"
    iPhone'n Always
    32G iPhone 3GS 3.0
    ra1n rc1/rc2a JB

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

GeoHot thank you for doing this. I always appreciate the effort by everyone to help us stick it to the borg.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    don't forget peoples, if you own a 2g iphone, your iphone is unlocked via gUnlock! and for those who don't know, thats geohotz/george's unlock from the 1.1.2/4.6BL days!

nice work georgehotz, i would trust his work for many reasons. when he released the gUnlock via command line only, i used it minutes after and was blown away! the kid knows his stuff
    And the 3G yellowsn0w unlock was built on exploits found by gehot.

The 3GS/3.0 unlock is built around the 24kpwn exploit found by the chronic dev team (not iphone dev team) and a baseband exploit which was found by some other random developer initially (not the dev team), which was again discovered indepentently by geohot.

All the dev team have really done is compile other peoples work into an easy to use tool and get credit for it.

I would like to see whteher or not ultrasn0w decreases battery life like geo says, and i would love to know why immediate;y after jailbreaking battery life deminishes. Why??

Will be trying urplesn0w later when i've got time. Thanks geo.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

hmmm,now i wonder if disclosing the so far 2 securoty holes used by unltransnow and purplesnow, will make it hardeer to find another hole in 3.1.. maybe purplerain should have been kept a scret until 3.1 was out

Geezus, how old is Geohot again - 18,19? The kid has some mad coding skills. Reading his explanation of "how" the unlock works was "whoooooooosh", right over my head. Friggin genius this guy....

Thanks Geo and to the DevTeam =)

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sr71blackbird92 View Post
    Im sorry, but Geohot is so annoying.... the dev team is superior, they actually test and worry about everyone in their releases and wont just throw code out there to the public without any thought to it. Screw geohot, devteam is better. The not accepting donations thing is the prime example too!
    I guess you forgot who first hacked the iPhone. GEOHOT! He started this and then helped the dev team also.
    Last edited by JAG2621; 07-14-2009 at 11:35 AM.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    hmmm,now i wonder if disclosing the so far 2 securoty holes used by unltransnow and purplesnow, will make it hardeer to find another hole in 3.1.. maybe purplerain should have been kept a scret until 3.1 was out
    it's the name of the game.... Attack and Counter-Attack. If modding would never have started we would be stuck with the same phones that were initially distributed. This is just another method of voicing our opinons about making better devices.
    Last edited by thuwun; 07-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.
    "thuwun"
    iPhone'n Always
    32G iPhone 3GS 3.0
    ra1n rc1/rc2a JB

Tried it out on redan0w did not work ultra snow works asap tho.

i guess it only works for the purple ra1n jb?

this thing f***ed my phone up hardcore. it has the call forwarding icon up top and i cant get rid of this thing in cydia because it keeps crashing. can I remove it using diskaid or ssh? I don't want to restore. I'm sick and tired of how many times I have had to restore this stupid phone. I really appreciate what this guy has done but I have never had so many problems with jailbreaking or unlocking my phone as I have using his stuff.
    Last edited by terranova88; 07-14-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

geohotz said, it wont work on hactivated iphones. he's working on it
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    it is amazing to me how some people seem to forget these are basically kids breaking these codes. they aren't getting wealthy off jailbreaking and activating. they do it for the challenge.
    Except for Zibri, who was older, had no real skills and made some serious cash.

Aside from all the crap about who's manly parts are bigger, the purplesn0w works and achieving signal on tmobile is quicker than ultrasn0w. Everything is great and will report back with battery consumption.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kennyl View Post
    Aside from all the crap about who's manly parts are bigger
    roLMAO

does it work for 3g

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    You actually should be sorry. If it wasnt for Geohot, you would never have been able to unlock or jailbreak your phone today! It was Geo who found the exploits, it was geo who handed his finds over to the dev team. If you lack the knowledge on the subject then it is best to keep your mouth shut about it.
    LOL. Get ripped. *high fives you*

iPhone? More like MyPhone lillstar12's Avatar
    Thanks

Works so far so good on mine used purplera1n first then purplesn0w and fixed the wifi problem and will report back on battery life.

Its a lot quicker to get reception though thats for sure.

Nice work geohot and seriously good work dev team your both/all genius's as far as i'm concerned

Man does anyone remember the unlocking process for 1.0.2...typing all that **** in...ibrickr...apptappp...anysim!?? lol its amazing how far they've come
    YOU HELP ME, I THANK YOU
    I HELP YOU, YOU THANK ME

AND WE'RE ALL HAPPY

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast