+ Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: geohot makes it sn0w now! New soft unlock for the iPhone 3GS!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
i just about getting my iphone 3gs 32gb white but can i use redsnow to activate and then use geohot m+ethod to jailbreak and unlock,dont think i can get official
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i just about getting my iphone 3gs 32gb white but can i use redsnow to activate and then use geohot m+ethod to jailbreak and unlock,dont think i can get official sim to activate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

From twitter @geohot- tomorrow, i add hacktivation support :-)

so wait until tomorrow and use purplera1n/sn0w
    Or you can use redsn0w now to hactivate, although no guarantee that purplesn0w will work. so use ultrasn0w for now if it does fail...
    Last edited by Melech518; 07-14-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

I went ahead and did a full DFU restore and then rejailbroke with Purplera1n Rc2a (which i used in the first place when i was using ultrasn0w I just didn't want any issues) and installed Purplesn0w which is working perfectly.

Just letting you guys know how i did it. I didn't just uninstall ultrasn0w and turn around and install Purplesn0w. Do it the right way first and you most likely wont have any problems. Yes it takes a little longer to do a DFU restore first but it works the first time and who knows you might be saving time by avoiding a problem down the road.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sr71blackbird92 View Post
    Im sorry, but Geohot is so annoying....

Some may say the same about you! Don't like PR or PS, then don't use it. We all have the right to remain silent.... how about you give it a try.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hmm the purple rain rc2a isn't work for me.. anyone know the problem.

vista 64 bit and after it ran, it says the done wait for reboot whatever. iphone reboots and its the same screen before its jailbroken

i just did a restore through itunes as well

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    woohoo! i just got 3gs this morning and jailbreak with purplerain then install ultrasnow. Now i uninstall ultrasnow and before i reboot turn off 3g enable then airplane mode so after reboot install purplesnow then reboot that's it.. im so happy with purplesnow so much. BTW, i have problem with ultrasnow on wifi and battery the whole a day so now i have purplesnow. its working for me. i dont have any problem at all. thanks to Geohot. i have old iphone 2g, 3g and now i got 3gs make sure you all need to know this purplesnow is only working on 3gs. have a good early morning
    Last edited by akamandito; 07-14-2009 at 02:54 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squaresoft View Post
    stop comparing devteam and geohot would ya? they're both great! geohot found the exploit and handed over to devteam yes but what made some of you so sure the devteam wouldn't have found it before today anyway? devteam delays the unlock because of safety and compliance but do you think geohot would just throw any code out without thinking twice? he was also the person who unlocked the 1st iphone in the world. Both of them have good qualities why don't you guys just support both instead of who's better? do the comparing outside the forums i suggest do not influence newbies' perception! thanks..
    While I somewhat agree with this post about supporting both,it seems that theres a slight competition brewing with Geo's release of his jailbreak ahead of the devteam(along with the comment tha came with it about "thats not how the game is played")..And in most competitions,people cheer for one of the teams,rarely both.

And while I do thank Geo for finding the initial exploit on the first iPhone,we are now on the 3rd generation and other people just as smart and savvy are sure to come about..To those that say the dev team sucks,and Geo is the man,think about it this way from an automotive perspective..Karl Benz is known as the person who made the first (gas powered)automobile,does that mean that the Benz name is the end all be all and that nobody else would come along and up the ante?

And those that say the dev team rocks and Geo sucks,well if it wasnt for him,the first iphone wouldnt have been broken (hey wait,I dont see how this pertains to the here and now but)

Guess the point im trying to make is,if they are trying to 1 up each other,its kinda hard to support both.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tower72 For This Useful Post:

ggab (07-14-2009), oliverhart77 (07-15-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    whats wrong with ultrasnow battery problem anyways? what is it really? ive been using it but i havnt noticed anything.. cause if it should last longer, i would want to know

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thats right its geohot who started this hole iphone jailbreak/unlocking scene not the devteam..im not saying there useless or anything just that it wasnt them who started the hole thing it was geohot

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This unlock is broken on any phone with 3G enabled, regardless of provider. Disabling 3G through SBsettings immedietly fixes the problem, and you get signal + wifi right away. Enabling it again kills them both and causes the phone to run very slowly.

Hopefully he will come out with a fix for this

iPhone? More like MyPhone ugshotgun's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Geoshot and Devteam! My hats off to both teams! I want them both to win...because when they both win; WE all win!

Chris

iPhone 3GS 16GB
    AT&T iPhone Plan
    Unlimited Family Messaging
    MMS & Tethering Fully Functional

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ugshotgun For This Useful Post:

PCeasar (07-14-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Brandon's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry guys, but GeoHot's Jailbreak is much more superior then Dev Team. Now his unlock will be even better as well.

GeoHot is the one who finds all the exploits as well, please don't bash him.

Google hired him for a reason

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sr71blackbird92 View Post
    Im sorry, but Geohot is so annoying.... the dev team is superior, they actually test and worry about everyone in their releases and wont just throw code out there to the public without any thought to it. Screw geohot, devteam is better. The not accepting donations thing is the prime example too!
    Be Nice!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A Retired Mod For This Useful Post:

lodgechad (07-14-2009), PCeasar (07-14-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

So if I unlocked with redsn0w (2G 3.0) just for the heck of it does that mean that my battery is being drained more quickly?

I realize that this mod is for 3GS only, but the part about running an extra program for unlock got my attention.

thanx

tim

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default hang ur head in shame!
    works good
    Last edited by lodgechad; 07-14-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Its important not to lose sight of the cause. We need to support both. We also need to donate to keep them going. I dropped a "feety" on geo for purplera1n. What ever software you use, please donate if it works for you ;-)
    Thanx

20. The Following User Says Thank You to win1fight2 For This Useful Post:

PCeasar (07-14-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm happy with my AT&T service so no need for the unlock, but I'm glad to see people are making these attempts. Hopefully one day Apple and other handset manufacturers will realize the futility of "locking" a mobile to any carrier and just let everyone choose what they want and who they want.

Thanks to Geo and the Dev team for all their hard work, and their competition. Choice is a good thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tower72 View Post
    While I somewhat agree with this post about supporting both,it seems that theres a slight competition brewing with Geo's release of his jailbreak ahead of the devteam(along with the comment tha came with it about "thats not how the game is played")..And in most competitions,people cheer for one of the teams,rarely both.

And while I do thank Geo for finding the initial exploit on the first iPhone,we are now on the 3rd generation and other people just as smart and savvy are sure to come about..To those that say the dev team sucks,and Geo is the man,think about it this way from an automotive perspective..Karl Benz is known as the person who made the first (gas powered)automobile,does that mean that the Benz name is the end all be all and that nobody else would come along and up the ante?

And those that say the dev team rocks and Geo sucks,well if it wasnt for him,the first iphone wouldnt have been broken (hey wait,I dont see how this pertains to the here and now but)

Guess the point im trying to make is,if they are trying to 1 up each other,its kinda hard to support both.
    The only competition is the one that the people have made here on the forums. Geo has always worked well with the dev team. Dont you follow twitter, lol? Geo hands almost every piece of information he finds over to the Dev team so they can build a tool, and the Dev Team also support geo and give him advice and exploits they find. Where do you think the exploit used in yellowsn0w came from?? All in all, they really do work together and the only real competition is here on the forums. Geohot is all about making things as easy as possible, which is why he has been lately trying to make tools that allows jailbreaking and unlocking to go a lot smoother and quicker.

There will be an update to purplesn0w tonight that will fix some bugs as well. As it was stated before, the first version of sn0w is a beta, use at your own risk!!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Just tried this unlock, works perfect. All I did was uninstall ultra, reboot the phone then install purple and reboot again. Phone found T-Mobile service almost instantly and everything works perfect!
    Apples taste good.

Thanks
    Props to Geo! Props to the Dev's.That's all i really have to say...lol