Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhones Bricked by new Updates?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I unlocked my iphone and I am actually not worried at all. Software can always be hacked.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I unlocked my iphone and I am actually not worried at all. Software can always be hacked.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickatsd View Post
    haha i agree...i mean, i'm not really big on updating anyway, my music collection is pretty much at a stand still at the moment, and that's really the only reason i even sync it, i have backups of all my voicemail and sms and all that from winscp so i'm not worried about losing contacts and whatnot.

some folks have brought up a good question though. how would you go about restoring to firmware 1.0.2 after the new firmware is released? i would hate to have something happen and have to restore after the new firmware is out in case it takes a little longer than expected and have to go without NES and Books for more than a couple days lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone editwizard's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think there's been a device so popular as the iPhone for hacking right out of the gate. There are so many people developing stuff that the 3rd party resources are exceeding Apple's own development. BUT Apple still holds the keys to the candy store and can do whatever they feel is in their best interests to keep some measure of control... and at the same time can't be held responsible in the public eye for killing a bunch of iPhones if a user has modded it with software Apple didn't write -whether it mods the actual hardware/firmware chips or not. You're talking about an operating system that if it is screwed up beyond iTunes' ability to restore it, then yes you will be SOL.

I don't think that will happen though and I'm not doing a single thing to my AppTapp'd iPhone until I check here first.

My theory is that Apple is studying the iPhone hacking closely for development ideas... I mean why not? It is a free development base. If you think there aren't people working in Apple's development team walking around right this minute with iPhones that are AppTapp'd, iBrick'd, Simfree'd or whatever then I have a real nice Florida wetland real estate deal for you.

Apple knows what the hackers are doing and I think they sort of encourage it without saying so - but have to 'say' they don't support it - wink wink. It is likely that some of their unlocked test phones blew up with 1.1.1 but it could just be a bluff. We just don't know yet. To ask what to do at this point is just beyond idiotic. It's like all the people asking on June 28th if the iPhone was going to be unlocked.

As pf said oh too many times, the world is not about to end, your iPhone will NOT turn in to a cloud of vapor at midnight under the full moon when Apple drops 1.1.1... that is, as long as you don't pull an idiot move like installing the update until the good folks here at modmyi say its good to go.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

thread closed...thankyou....hahaha..seriously, it is closed.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

Thanks edit, that about sums it up.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

still no answer to this????????

here's my question - if i havent unlocked my iphone when the new firmware comes out and i follow the unlock manual and restore my phone through itunes, the iphone will be restored to the new firmware right? so will the current unlock procedure still work? or is there a way to change your firmware to 1.0.2 without going through itunes? i wont get my iphone till saturday so the new firmware will be out by then - help?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

We are not sure on that. We have to get the new firmware first.

Thanks

Any word on a release date? Only a few days left in September for them to drop it, but Tuesday's are usually (?) the day and nothing yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mofolo View Post
    Hi,

Yes you can.

Slide to make emergency Calls.
    Then call: *3001#12345#*

It'll show up with your firmware, but unless you have purchased your phone within the last 1-2 days, it should be 1.0.2.

It doesnt call a service. It simply tells the phone to retrieve information.

So anywhere around the world it should work.
    I have read that usind that method It doesn't say 1.0.2, it is more like 3.14 or something like that, so if you don't see 1.0.2 don't freak
    Last edited by jmordoj; 09-25-2007 at 01:22 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxjoebreadxx's Avatar
    Thanks

I used the above method and Mine said 1.0.2, however my friends said 3.14.some numbers. So its up in the air.

Any Word on the freaking update? I plan on being one of the first to test the Ibrick theory for unlocked phones. I figure that devTeam will have somthing to fix my Ipaper weight if it gets ibricked. I'll keep you guys posted. But I realy doubt that anything will happen. I think that apple is just trying to scare unlockers.
    Last edited by xxjoebreadxx; 09-25-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks

Yeah, I really don't see what the big deal is. I doubt there's going to be anything in the next firmware update that will make me run out and activate my iPhone with AT&T and switch to their service. I'm happy with my iPhone and until Apple FORCES me to update the firmware to actually use it, I could care less. The hacks for the new firmware will eventually come and I don't have a problem with waiting. Heck, I'm still using iTunes 7.4.1 at home.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to quahog_convo For This Useful Post:

XFaega (09-25-2007)

Thanks

I really don't think theres anything we an do except wait for the update, and the Dev team to come through once again. We don't know anything until the update has been released, which is expected in the next few days. There also is probably some sort of law that, if Apple sent out an update that breaks a perfectly functioning device, even if it was announced, some may not have heard, not like they emailed or called all iPhone buyers, could end up in a class actions suit for them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just got an iPhone and used the independence program to make the phone work WITH MY EXISITNG AT&T SIM CARD. 1.What will the update mean for me? 2.Also, since I'm using an AT&T SIM on an AT&T plan, is my phone technically "unlocked"? 3.Would it be at all possible for me to just update to the new firmware with absolutely no problems? Sorry, I know that was a lot of questions but I just got my iPhone a few days ago and these are some things I've been wondering about.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

If you just activated with iNdependence, and didn't do the unlock etc, then you're fine. Update away. You may have to use iNdependence again, but I don't think so - not if you are already activated.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxjoebreadxx's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly, I think this is a scare tactic to put fear in the hearts of modified iphone users. I'm not afraid to update my T-Mobile iphone the minute that the new version becomes avaible. The only thing that scares me is the possible modem firmware update that is (or may) be included with this update. If apple includes this modem firmware update....Well, not good...I'll post to let you know what happens when I update. Even If I or anyone else has a successfull update, it does not by any means mean that it is safe to update. It means we got lucky. I would still wait a few days before updating. Wait for PF to say its good.

The only reason I'm going all for it is because I have another phone that I'm not using. So If I Brick my phone I have a backup...At least untill they find a way to unbrick phones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxjoebreadxx View Post
    Honestly, I think this is a scare tactic to put fear in the hearts of modified iphone users. I'm not afraid to update my T-Mobile iphone the minute that the new version becomes avaible. The only thing that scares me is the possible modem firmware update that is (or may) be included with this update. If apple includes this modem firmware update....Well, not good...I'll post to let you know what happens when I update. Even If I or anyone else has a successfull update, it does not by any means mean that it is safe to update. It means we got lucky. I would still wait a few days before updating. Wait for PF to say its good.

The only reason I'm going all for it is because I have another phone that I'm not using. So If I Brick my phone I have a backup...At least untill they find a way to unbrick phones.
    It very well could be, they didn't post it on its announcment page, as they usually do. Hopefully there just trying to make AT&T happy.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I cant believe how alot of you guys are ready to jump ship. lol As a psp owner I have learned that a fix will be found if they try to take down unlocked iphones. Just dont upgrade and wait for the fix. The phone works good right now so I dont mind waiting.

Official MMI Troll with an Attitude Digitol's Avatar
    Thanks

The updates will not be forced per say..however in time apple will/can update the itunes applestore to only works with new versions of itunes. . . thus in a way you will eventually be forced to upgrade firmware. Be afraid be verrrry afraid. (ok not really).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

bought iphone 2 days ago in ny. (i live in europe ish). Fuct the unlocking first time round so had to restore. Had heart palpitations due to the 'update and you will be bricked' warnings going around. Still she restored sweet and now unlocked! Cheers

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not worried about it. I'm with T-Mobile and knew that it would be a matter of time before someone found a way to unlock it. I'm am one of many that are very greatfull for the developers hackers and modders that have made it possible to unlock the iPhone. I have currently unlocked 3 iPhones without a single problem. I know that as soon as the new firmware is release there will be a fix.
    Sent from my iPhone