Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhones Bricked by new Updates?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Most everyone seems to be saying it will all be OK. Great, but what is the status of jaibreaking the iPod Touch? Last I checked it still wasn't possible. If
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Most everyone seems to be saying it will all be OK. Great, but what is the status of jaibreaking the iPod Touch? Last I checked it still wasn't possible.

If this is still the case, and 1.1.1 locks the iPhone down like the Touch, I will be ticked (and will not update, naturally).

BTW: On another note it's great to be able to discuss this on a forum without the "If you didn't like the iPhone the way it came, why did you buy it?" BS. I just had someone on another site write a 5,000 word rant all because I said I would be pissed off if Apple really did cripple the ability to add 3rd party apps.

--
    Mike
    Last edited by Tinman; 09-25-2007 at 03:09 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

Well,

If the iPod touch and Iphone 1.1.1 share such a similar firmware,
    Then hackers will have a headstart with the Iphone.

And remember, if all else fails.
    Dont upgrade.
    Im sure you can live without the wifi-music store and tv out.

It would be nice to update, but we'll probably have to resort to 1-2 weeks without it. What I really want to focus on is how we can administer 1.0.2 updates to the iphone without having iTunes which would want to administer 1.1.1. So that people who have just purchased an iphone can still unlock it and enjoy 3rd party apps.

There was a law that I can't remember word by word.
    It went;
    If its man made, Man can hack it.
    So F**k you apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mofolo View Post
    Well,

If the iPod touch and Iphone 1.1.1 share such a similar firmware,
    Then hackers will have a headstart with the Iphone.

And remember, if all else fails.
    Dont upgrade.
    Im sure you can live without the wifi-music store and tv out.

It would be nice to update, but we'll probably have to resort to 1-2 weeks without it. What I really want to focus on is how we can administer 1.0.2 updates to the iphone without having iTunes which would want to administer 1.1.1. So that people who have just purchased an iphone can still unlock it and enjoy 3rd party apps.

There was a law that I can't remember word by word.
    It went;

So F**k you apple.
    I'm in the same boat as you, Mofolo. I purchased my iPhone last week and it is arriving here in Sweden sometime this week. I have all the files etc... that I need and a quick link to the modmyi guide to unlocking via Mac OSX but would like to get my iPhone unlocked before the new update or have confirmation that I can proceed with unlocking without using the 1.1.1 update.

With that said, have faith in PF. He's constantly reassured us that an new unlock would be available soon after the release of the update. I can wait if necessary and doing so will simply give me the new features that have been added.

(now if my tracking info would just update.....I'm beginning to hate Jamaica, NY...where my iPhone was last seen).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another question; I will have my iphone somewhere next week.

How can I tell whether it gets delivered with firmware 1.0.2 or 1.1.1?
    when you first turn on the iphone, you can't get pass the activation, right? so I couldn't possibly check under settings/general/about

I want to know because I plan to do the unlock anyway, but I use the guide from this site, and those app's will probably not work with 1.1.1...if my phone gets that from the factory..

Thanks

Excellent Question.

Yes you can.

Slide to make emergency Calls.
    Then call: *3001#12345#*

It'll show up with your firmware, but unless you have purchased your phone within the last 1-2 days, it should be 1.0.2.

Fingers Crossed.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Cool Guys Grow Up For God Sake
    whats wrong with you guys why are we talking about the things which is in future, IMean the so called Apple iPhone future update
    Don't you trust this team, they did what was suppose to be impossible

Things are gonna be alright !!!!!!!!!!!!
    And even you are little nervous about future update, Don't update it at all I am sure the phone will work

Now tell me one thing and correct me if you think I am wrong

Don' you think Apple wants us to hack OR unlock OR jailbreak the iPhone trust me if they don't want then we may by be here talking all this
    just tell me one thing people who is getting the 100% gain ??????
    it' Apple pepple they are selling phone every where all over the world, you know why becouse it has been unlocked

Guys try to understand Apple is making money from both ways, they get incentive from at&t for every connection they sell with iphone
    and they are making loads of money selling iphone to the people like us

I myself bought 5 phone only becouse of i have unlock my first one so I bought 4 more and send to my bro and sis thanks to All MODS GENNIUS who made this possible

Please pardon me if you think I am wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Excellent Question.

Yes you can.

Slide to make emergency Calls.
    Then call: *3001#12345#*

It'll show up with your firmware, but unless you have purchased your phone within the last 1-2 days, it should be 1.0.2.

Fingers Crossed.
    that's the problem, the company i'm buying from has to import them and has them next week. Then again, how likely would it be they ship 1.1.1 that early

Then call: *3001#12345#* -> is that the number you can dial in Europe too?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    You can buy a phone via any other manufacturer and change the wall paper and ringtones and they don't care. I'm thinking Apple is the same way with these Mods.

However if you unlock the SIM to use with a non-AT&T carrier that is where they are having issues. Exlusive means just that...AT&T is the sole service provider of this phone in the US. Get over it if you don't like that...it's called business. Would there have been ******** if T-Mobile had won the contract? Or what if Verizon hadn't messed up and lost this deal...we'd all have CDMA iPhones that only worked in the US and no International Roaming.

Yes this is a great phone but you can't rewrite history to chose the carrier you think it should be able to work with. And THAT is what I think Apple and AT&T are having issues with.
    <--- I'm new so don't hit me just yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stylez View Post
    that's the problem, the company i'm buying from has to import them and has them next week. Then again, how likely would it be they ship 1.1.1 that early

Then call: *3001#12345#* -> is that the number you can dial in Europe too?
    Hi,

Yes for all the iphone.
    It doesnt call a service. It simply tells the phone to retrieve information.

So anywhere around the world it should work.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

well, with most other phones you also don't have to hack it just to set new ringtones lol, and wallpapers as well.

as a programmer myself, i know that there is always a way to break into any software and rework it benefit yourself. there's no possible way that apple can completely seal up all the holes into the software that makes jailbreaking it possible. the unlocking is a different story perhaps, but again, everytime they add new things in, it puts in more ways to get through it.

i'm just wondering, though, if they won't send out an update for itunes that takes away the ability to choose if you want to update. i have to say, that would really blow. but then again, i suppose you don't have to update itunes anymore either, as the current version will ask if you want to update itunes lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maXimus's Avatar
    Thanks

This thread is so f*ucking funny!!!!!!!!!!

"will I be able to...."
    "if I don't update will my...."
    "should I restore now before..."

No one knows the answer to any of these stupid questions because THE UPDATE HASN'T COME OUT YET!!!!!!!!!! JEEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!!

As PF has said (TOO many times already), wait a few days. I'm almost getting tired of reading that....wait.....hold on....I AM tired of reading "wait a couple of days"!!!!!!!

(no offense PF!)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maXimus For This Useful Post:

ThinkandDrive (09-25-2007)

Thanks

Rian,

Just make sure your AutoUpdater is Off and you should be all good.

In terms of jailbreaking. There is always a way in. They're going to need about a week to months to figure it out, but its possible.

For now, everyone can just relax on fully functional 1.0.2.

At least you have a phone.

Oh and Erica, reported that Apple are not bricking phones, as it may lead to Apple lawsuits, so they're not bricking phones. But Dont update! Its too risky.

Quote Originally Posted by maXimus View Post
    This thread is so f*ucking funny!!!!!!!!!!

"will I be able to...."
    "if I don't update will my...."
    "should I restore now before..."

No one knows the answer to any of these stupid questions because THE UPDATE HASN'T COME OUT YET!!!!!!!!!! JEEEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!!

As PF has said (TOO many times already), wait a few days. I'm almost getting tired of reading that....wait.....hold on....I AM tired of reading "wait a couple of days"!!!!!!!

(no offense PF!)
    Haha, you have a point.

But everyone is SO anxious. They (including me) want to unlock they're newly updated iphones!! (And Add NES to them ASAP).

lol.
    Last edited by mofolo; 09-25-2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone FrogsOblivious's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sure that if Apple had the choice to brick or not to brick, then they definitely would not. They don't want half of their iPhoners ******** and being unhappy with the product. I think that more than anything else, that statement was just a scare tactic in case anything does happen. It's obviously true that they can't monitor EVERY piece of software that comes out, so one of them is bound to mess up your iphone.

Thanks

Rian,

Just make sure your AutoUpdater is Off and you should be all good.

In terms of jailbreaking. There is always a way in. They're going to need about a week to months to figure it out, but its possible.

For now, everyone can just relax on fully functional 1.0.2.

At least you have a phone.

Oh and Erica, reported that Apple are not bricking phones, as it may lead to Apple lawsuits, so they're not bricking phones. But Dont update! Its too risky.

Haha, you have a point.

But everyone is SO anxious. They (including me) want to unlock they're newly updated iphones!! (And Add NES to them ASAP).

lol.
    i just meant that it's possible that they could take away the function where it asks if you want to update your iphone with an itunes update, so that when you connect your phone to itunes for syncing or whatever, it updates the firmware without asking/telling you that it's doing so...luckily the good people here always test it and make sure that it's ok for the masses for updates to either itunes or the iphone. just something to watch out for, if apple really does decide to retaliate.

and i have to agree with the adding NES asap, lol. it's saved me quite a few hours of boredom on lunch breaks ^_^

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rianbattle View Post
    well, with most other phones you also don't have to hack it just to set new ringtones lol, and wallpapers as well.

as a programmer myself, i know that there is always a way to break into any software and rework it benefit yourself. there's no possible way that apple can completely seal up all the holes into the software that makes jailbreaking it possible. the unlocking is a different story perhaps, but again, everytime they add new things in, it puts in more ways to get through it.

i'm just wondering, though, if they won't send out an update for itunes that takes away the ability to choose if you want to update. i have to say, that would really blow. but then again, i suppose you don't have to update itunes anymore either, as the current version will ask if you want to update itunes lol.
    Not updating anything anymore wouldn't give me a good feeling though. Apple will always have something up it's sleeve to make the next thing so much better and take it to another level. That's why I buy Apple products.

But as ever, the team here will work a way round anything that might happen, as you said yourself, you can always tweak software to your benefits.

So the lesson is, don't update anything, sit back and relax enjoy your working version, and the team will take care of it I guess. I think Apple doesn't want to scare or threaten anyone, I think they are being positive about warning that some things can go wrong. Obviously they had a closer look at some of the sim-unlock apps, and noticed it. If they wanted to brick iphones, they simply would shut up about it and not awake sleeping dogs.
    They send out "doubtful" messages to keep ATT, O2 etc happy. I mean, If I were ATT, I would be breathing down Apple's neck that they have to do something about it. They've done just that, everyone's panicking, so ATT got what it wanted. More scared people who will maybe decide against their serviceprovider and choose ATT.

Read between the lines. Also take into account the factor that many windows-users will switch to mac because of the beauty of the iphone, when they already owned an ipod. I mean, yeah, those apple guys seem to be really capable of manufacturing some great products! let me try their iMac, or Macbook!

They will simply not brick anyones phone on purpose. It's a win-win situation for apple. Scared people maybe run off to ATT = more monthly revenue, and the others that don't simply still buy iphones.
    And the ones that won't do either of these things, they've been warned by Apple to not just update to new soft/firmware..
    Damn, Steve is smart.

Just my .02

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stylez View Post
    Read between the lines. Also take into account the factor that many windows-users will switch to mac because of the beauty of the iphone, when they already owned an ipod. I mean, yeah, those apple guys seem to be really capable of manufacturing some great products! let me try their iMac, or Macbook!
    I was just thinking that. A Macbook looks cool. I'm waiting for a full-size tablet like the iphone

Thanks

[/QUOTE=i'm not ranting either I've heard personally the straight up ******** that they train Apple store employees to tell their customers.[/QUOTE]
    Yep I have heard it too, at the apple store. Best thing about it is they were wrong about most of the things they were telling people. But most people simply do not know and of course, trust and believe the apple employee
    Last edited by pmas; 09-25-2007 at 10:35 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

here's my question - if i havent unlocked my iphone when the new firmware comes out and i follow the unlock manual and restore my phone through itunes, the iphone will be restored to the new firmware right? so will the current unlock procedure still work? or is there a way to change your firmware to 1.0.2 without going through itunes? i wont get my iphone till saturday so the new firmware will be out by then - help?

Thanks

Wow, I replied yesterday before I went to sleep and I was on page 3. I wake up this morning, and now we are on page 7 of the same anxious crying? Come on people, every response is rambling and should be considered trolling. Just wait for the release and ask questions when people actually have factual answers.

Reako

Green Apple
    Thanks

I personally would love to take this opportunity to welcome you all to hacking /modding. One of the biggest problems with hacking the iphone is that the hackers have made it too damn easy for any joe smoe to hack their phone. Most people who "hack" things understand the risks involved. They understand that after soldering that 40th wire in their PS2 that when they turn it on it might go up in a cloud of smoke. What do they do about it? Nothing... they eat it and go buy another one and try it again. They understand that by modding their xbox 360 they might be banned from xbox live for eternity. Most modders have to read for hours, ask tons of questions, and join chat groups to just get brow beat and called "stupid noobs" until finally they understand and get the steps involved to hacking what they want hacked. This is what modding / hacking is all about.

Some of the ******** and complaining in this forum is just unbelievable to me. Just sit back and wait. Wait, read, listen, and ask reasonable questions. The hackers have made it so easy for you already that I'm sure everything will work itself out.

and again... welcome!
    Last edited by scr4p; 09-25-2007 at 11:28 AM.