Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhones Bricked by new Updates?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I have done the open SSH to my phone. I have ATT, and have not 'unlocked it'. Can I safely get the new firmware update, and worst case scenario is
    Green Apple
    Thanks

I have done the open SSH to my phone. I have ATT, and have not 'unlocked it'.

Can I safely get the new firmware update, and worst case scenario is i lose SMB, and the various apps and games I have installed? (namely NES, since i had to add the ROMs/NES folder).

Or can I just wait, until a new apptapp is released to work with the new firmware?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default unlocking soon
    Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Well hey, there is no reason not to unlock, if you need an unlocked iPhone. Just don't update for a few days after the firmware is released, so a fix can be put together. The phone will have the EXACT same functionality it will have if you unlocked it today.
    Hey Poetic, i will be getting the iPhone in the next 2 days, and Ill have it in my hands on friday, if the update comes out, what should i do to do the macintosh-based unlock? Anything different since I have to sync with iTunes, etc? Thanks in advance.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    LAY OFF THE CAPS, BUT THANKS.

@eg6motion - sure, or we can just be smart enough to not update the firmware until it is fixed. The DMCA allows unlocking of cell phones. Technically, either AT&T or Apple should be offering these unlock codes for free, but they are not, so we mod stuff. I'm fine waiting a day or two until we have developed a fix for the new firmware. Such is the [small] price we pay for having hacked phones.
    i'am fine with my phone,i dont care if we never find a fix for this update i will nerver update my phone,i will never deal with AT&T again i hate them so much.

Green Apple
    Thanks

its just like the PSP......sony continued to update the firmware but hackers always broke it for downgrading....so its not like apple will win this and besides you dont have to upgrade...i know i wont as long as i can do everything i do now

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

some of you need to put the coffee down and the reading glasses on

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Everyone should take a chill pill and and concentrate on the facts, apple has not said they are going to brick your phone on purpose, they are just making you aware that it could possibly happen.
    Also I dont think that installing a theme on your phone voids the warranty, this is tottaly wrong info at least for me it was.
    I went to the Apple store te other day to get a new iMac and I decided to return my wifes "modded" phone because of a dead pixal and the light from the lcd was leaking a bit through the top near the speaker. When we started driving there we realized that we had forgotten to reset the phone to factory defaults, I decided to just go and see what would happen. Turns out the Apple employee didnt blink twice about here Tinkerbell theme and went ahead with the exchange. He pulled out what appeared to be a refurbished unlocked unit and took her sim out and put hers in and emidiately started working.
    We didnt really care if it was refurbished I mean its basically a new phone, so I got my new iMac and she got her self a new iphone.
    So I dont know if this was an error or oversite on the employees but he clearly saw the bright tinkerbell theme.
    I think apple has learned from there previous errors "dropping the price" and are not going to want another iphone national news uprising again.
    Great jobs on the part of the devs for keeping the iphone as interesting as possible.
    Mono_frio

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Yup. Its not a huge deal. Just stay informed.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Just one question off topic.... Does anyone know how I can edit my name on this thing? I would like to use my aka, ebay id/Gamer tag/ everything name.
    Thanks again and sorry for the off topic question!
    Mono_frio

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

pm me

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks

not to worried about it... if it dies.. im sure someone will have a fix.. who cares if people cant call me for a few days.. haha but... for thos business folk.. haha sorry guys/gals

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TOXiN View Post
    not to worried about it... if it dies.. im sure someone will have a fix.. who cares if people cant call me for a few days.. haha but... for thos business folk.. haha sorry guys/gals
    So True.

Im getting my Iphone Just a few days after the expected firmware updates

Now i have to wait till i've got the go ahead for 1.1.1.

Is there a way i can update my Iphone to 1.0.2? even when the 1.1.1 updates are released?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"Is there a way i can update my Iphone to 1.0.2? even when the 1.1.1 updates are released?"

I am also curious about this question - anyone knows how to update it to 1.0.2? Is it possible to restore the iphone without it asking to check for firmware update?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Deal is that 1st of all Apple has no right to render hardware inoperable, I purchased the hardware and software and therefore own a limited license to it (DMCA). 2nd, I would imagine it to be extremely difficult to completely brick an iPhone by doing ANYTHING with software - some chips are not writable/erasable - those that are can be restored - everything on flash can be restored easily anyways. It'll be just a matter of time after the so-called apple-bricked phones are back up and running.

Thanks

It'll be just a matter of time after the so-called apple-bricked phones are back up and running.
    Yep, But Developers for unlocking phones must also create an unlock program that'll unlock your phone even with the 1.1.1 firmware.

And Jailbreaking MUST be re-writen to break the 1.1.1 firmware.

OR im left without my NES =(

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hackers are usually ahead of the game... I'd like to know if there's any legal way of fighting phone locking in general? As far as I know phones can be unlocked, but the unlock may not be shared according to DMCA. Can a lawyer or person with knowledge on the subject please give us some insight?

I believe just sitting here sucking at Apple's teat with petitions is the wrong way to go. Class-action lawsuits have won more often than not against Apple. Let's start one - I don't like being ****** around with - I buy a product - I have the damn right to use it for whatever I want - and if I throw it off a bridge - my deal - just my two cents...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rgates View Post
    Hackers are usually ahead of the game... I'd like to know if there's any legal way of fighting phone locking in general? As far as I know phones can be unlocked, but the unlock may not be shared according to DMCA. Can a lawyer or person with knowledge on the subject please give us some insight?

I believe just sitting here sucking at Apple's teat with petitions is the wrong way to go. Class-action lawsuits have won more often than not against Apple. Let's start one - I don't like being ****** around with - I buy a product - I have the damn right to use it for whatever I want - and if I throw it off a bridge - my deal - just my two cents...
    I agree,
    Good luck getting funding for a lawyer though.

I'd love to take part though. Maybe we can make world headlines.

(Day Dreams)...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, is it for sure that iTunes doesn´t force me to update?

greetings from Austria where my broken iPhones is working perfectly!

Thanks

Yes,

It will PopUp with "New Updates available" and give u a Choice wheater to install or not.

Most people are betting that disfunctional Iphones can be re-flashed to work again.

But i wouldn't take any chances in updating just yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh, fine! Let´s hope that normal syncing will be also possible without updating....... I´m wondering how long it will take to "mend" this upcoming problem in our cat & mouse game. A "technician" told me that this one will take a little longer, since the current SIM unlock is based on a buffer overrun which will be closed with the new firmware update.

Thanks

ouch.

Thats gonna suck. Especially for me. Im getting my iphone on Monday and i was planning on unlocking it.

How am i supposed to update the Iphone to 1.0.2 with itunes now!!?

But in answer to your question: I'd say about 48 hours. lol.

Most likely hackers will attack the new updates.
    Probably re-releasing the updates so it doesn't affect the unlocking process and doesn't turn it to a brick!

I hope they release a new workaround as soon as it comes out.
    Cross your fingers and HOPE apple is hacked and its firmware is leaked.

*chanting* LEAK LEAK LEAK