Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhones Bricked by new Updates?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
theyre probably going to come out with some substantial features, such as ichat or flash for safari, because that seems like something most people wouldnt turn down updating for, then
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

theyre probably going to come out with some substantial features, such as ichat or flash for safari, because that seems like something most people wouldnt turn down updating for, then theyre gonna be satisfied that the unlockers are going to be sol, till its possibly cracked

iPhone? More like MyPhone zoidberg md's Avatar
    Thanks

WOW PF you created the most paranoid thread EVER.

My guess this is an idle threat from the apple folks. They know the unlock is out there and widely used. They know they can brick them... but they also know that the unlock was found within 2 months.

This threat is more than likely directed toward those who buy their phones already unlocked. Not really geared toward those of us who have an hour by hour update of unlocking status.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    Guys,

Just relax. Firstly the update hasn't even been released yet. Secondly, as poetic_folly has repeatedly said, just do not update until further development is defined using the new update. The more you whine and worry, the more worked up you are gonna get. Relax, and breathe and enjoy your currently modded phone.

Reako
    I agreed. The truth is..I am totally content with the way my iphone performs right now. I am still on 7.3.. Not even sure what would be the pros with the new updates..I could careless about wifi iTunes..you still have to sync to get what you bought via wifi anyways...and i can do with out MMS. About cut and paste, I have yet to find myself needing it thus far..therefore, dont need it. All my friends are on YIM, Mundu works.
    I'll just chill and wait to see what Apple has to offer with the new updates..and i totally believe that whatever it is, the guys here will find ways to beat it..they have done it before, they'll do it again. If anything, it is FUN for them.

So, relax guys, go load another theme, go change the skin on the keyboard pad (it is so cool btw), enjoy your phone..nothing to trip about.

Peace.
    SD

ptn
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default :)
    1 question please. If Apple releases a new update BEFORE i unlock my iPhone, then it means i have to wait until the new fix comes out to do so right?

Official MMI Troll with an Attitude Digitol's Avatar
    Thanks

Hahhaha. I heard if you unlock your iphone ATT will serve you with a subpoena to appear in court and sue your butt...jail anyone.? :P

--Yes it's legal to unlock, but DMCA means you can't tamper with your electronics. MUhahahahahahahah FUD FUD FUD!

Thanks

Default It's called CYA
    I don't think this means apple is going to intentionally brick phones. Doing so would most definitely NOT benefit them. If the update bricks an unlocked phone, tons of people are going to be turning up at apple stores with said bricks. Then not only would the techs have to take time to deal with these folks, they would have to somehow determine that the phone bricked because it was unlocked. ( While this is certainly possible I think it is unlikely. ) I think apple wrote this to cover their ***. Some future update ( maybe this one, maybe the next one ) might brick your phone. If it does, don't say apple didn't warn you. While I appreciate the folks that make modding / unlocking easy, people need to remember that it is NOT without risk. With that being said I can't wait to see what apple brings to the table in the next round.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mofolo's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple made it clear.

If you've unlocked your phone, it will be iBricked.

They also said, they'd might show mercy for Jailbreaked phones.

But what they really mean is:

"Your F**ked"

Im getting a brand spakin' new Iphone start of next week. So that Sucks, i was going to unlock it there and then. Guess i'll have to wait huh... (I'd say about 48 hours till the next unlock).

Does anyone know when the Updates come through. Or is it sometime 'end of this week?'

Oh and for people who want to make it look like they're phone was never unlocked:

Factory Restore your phone.
    And Visit: Here

I've looked over the Post, and i have no idea what Erica is saying.

Hopefully they'll release a nice Application that makes re-locking easier.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,224 Posts

Paul Schiller has updated with this tidbit:

''This has nothing to do with proactively disabling a phone that is unlocked or hacked,'' Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said in an interview. ''It's unfortunate that some of these programs have caused damage to the iPhone software, but Apple cannot be responsible for ... those consequences.''

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks

So,

Its saying that 3rd Party Apps have ruined the Iphone?

I don't think so.

If it wasn't for the 3rd party apps, I wouldn't of got an Iphone.

Plus you can factory restore any time you like.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Not sure if im at risk here, had AT&T, used anySIM to unlock for T-Mobile, didn't like it, restored it, should i be worried?
    Technically from what I read yes because it modifies baseband firmware and that is what may change - suggests a merge not total rewrite

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Once again, it has nothing to do with 3rd party applications. They're talking about unlocks, and once again as well, there will be a fix out within days of the new firmware.

Thanks

so true PF.

Do you think the Unlocker (AnySIM 1.0.2?) will be released within AppTapp (or Installer) (And hopefully PXL [i dont have wifi, so i live off PXLs])

Or a new IUnlock?

Basically the rat race begins.
    Apple can implement these updates, but hackers will always find a work around.

Apple will continue to release these updates until they're agreement with AT&T is over.

Damn you AT&T!
    (Im located in Australia and I hate AT&T..lol).

Oh and can I ask you a question PF.
    If you havn't jailbreaked your phone and the new firmware comes out,
    You can just Download the 1.0.2 Firmware and get Ibrickr to run through that right?

I was always confused about how Ibrickr jailbreaks your phone... Or you can just use AppTapp to Jailbreak your phone (and then use Ibrikr to install PXLs right? (I dont have Wifi)).

Thanks.
    Last edited by mofolo; 09-24-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

I am sure we will have a fully detailed guide within days of the update to the firmware.

Thanks

Sounds to good to be true.

What about users who already unlock they're phones.

You wouldn't recommend them to Ibrick they're phone and then work around that.

Re-locking software with a good UI that runs through Installer should be in development.

Erica Released this

Isnt there any easier way to re-lock your phone?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

For many of us (like me) this isn't an option. I don't have an AT&T account at all.

But seriously, what's the diff of waiting a few days before updating?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Digitol View Post
    Hahhaha. I heard if you unlock your iphone ATT will serve you with a subpoena to appear in court and sue your butt...jail anyone.? :P

--Yes it's legal to unlock, but DMCA means you can't tamper with your electronics. MUhahahahahahahah FUD FUD FUD!
    WHY DONT YOU STFU YOU LOSER, PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD BE BAN FROM THIS SITE.
    Last edited by zozodouce; 09-24-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Ha... calm down.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timtucker View Post
    I don't think this means apple is going to intentionally brick phones. Doing so would most definitely NOT benefit them. If the update bricks an unlocked phone, tons of people are going to be turning up at apple stores with said bricks. Then not only would the techs have to take time to deal with these folks, they would have to somehow determine that the phone bricked because it was unlocked. ( While this is certainly possible I think it is unlikely. )
    its easy to tell, if you show up with a bricked iphone, and don't have an ATT account that matches your bricked iphone, then you are SOL. If people can't play by the ATT/Apple rules and brick their phone, there is no one to blame but themselves. Sucks but if you step out of warranty terms, then don't EXPECT to come back, just feel lucky if you happen to fool the ATT or apple folks with your iBrick paper weight.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Ha... calm down.
    I'AM SORY MAN THIS DUDE IS AN IDIOT I JUST HAD TO,SORY POETIC AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU IN THE WORLD.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

LAY OFF THE CAPS, BUT THANKS.

@eg6motion - sure, or we can just be smart enough to not update the firmware until it is fixed. The DMCA allows unlocking of cell phones. Technically, either AT&T or Apple should be offering these unlock codes for free, but they are not, so we mod stuff. I'm fine waiting a day or two until we have developed a fix for the new firmware. Such is the [small] price we pay for having hacked phones.